PDA

View Full Version : How far is too far...? drive time

Lawn-Scapes
12-20-2010, 09:29 PM
I have the opportunity to get into an exclusive, historical and very wealthy neighborhood... clientele would expect the best of the best and be charged accordingly. I believe there would be great potential to gobble up a fair amount of work there..

Problem I'm having is.. it is 45 minutes away without traffic. Rush hour would suck up close to 2 hours. So I would have to try and make sure I travel during off peak hours.

Would like to get some feedback here.. is this too far?

knox gsl
12-20-2010, 09:57 PM
That's a hard question. Is there a great chance of getting accounts that pay better per hour, cut or unit than if you stay near home? Is your upcharge in this community enough to cover the extra time and expense of the drive. Let's say that you have an employee and you go over there and in one day every week put in a 10 hour day (including the 2hour drive) and gross $750 in that day. Is this better than a 8 hour day near home and only grossing $550 for the day. I think for me I would do it for those kind of results but if we're talking only $50 in difference then I'll stay near home and enjoy my extra time.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-20-2010, 10:02 PM
take county roads if possible not interstate

SNAPPER MAN
12-20-2010, 11:56 PM
We travel a hour one way a few times a week to get to jobs. In my opinion it's not bad if you will be there all day, but I would definatley not drive a hour to mow one lawn. I say go for it and try to hustle up some more work in the area to make it worth your trip.
Posted via Mobile Device

soloscaperman
12-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Do it! Customers like that give you more cash flow just with the side work then mowing lol. I got a client in a rich area that I just do mulch, fall cleanup and hedge trimming. You may have to take a hit but trust me it will be worth it in a year or two!

Lovingreen
12-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Yes. In a few years, you'll be full time down there if you can provide the kind of service they demand at a competative price. Don't go thinking your going to double your income...the wealthy are wealthy for a reason...they know the value of services in their area and will not tolerate being overcharged. We have commuted for years, we leave at sunrise or before and work until sunset. It reduces trips and avoids rush hours. Good luck