PDA

View Full Version : changing spray setups

steve's total lawn care
12-22-2010, 02:18 AM
I was needing some help on deciding to putting a sprayer in the back of my truck and use my ztr sprayrig with a 15 ft boom to spray my big properties with. Or keep my current setup which is a sprayrig i built myself on a 6x8 trailer with 2 100 gallon pco tanks 2 hose reels with 200 ft of 3/8 hose on each reel a honda 5.5 gas engine with a 6 roller silvercast pump coupled to it. as of now i use a boominator nozzle that sprays a 10 ft pattern for walking my big lawns n a teejet floodjet nozzle that sprays a 4 ft swath for my small lawns and a green garde GS 505 handgun for tighter areas. I would love some suggestions on this topic thanks. btw i use the ztr on just my yard i have 3 acres to spray here its very handy especially 4 times a year spraying this yard.:)

steve's total lawn care
12-22-2010, 03:07 AM
If anyone has pics of the setup i am thinking about doing i would love to see as many as i can thanks.

RigglePLC
12-22-2010, 09:38 AM
I am thinking--if I understand the question--that you need a second trailer. Put the ZTR spray rig on the second trailer. Just choose which trailer you need for that days work.
You are probably doing that already. Perhaps it would be best to put your sprayer on a skid. Slide it into the truck bed and pull the ZTR rig on a trailer--so--you can do both big lawns and small lawns. Slide it out onto to a picnic table or special (right height) stand when you don't need it. You may need a winch or come-along, when you need to "slide" it, (or little rollers). 200 gallons capacity does not sound big enough--200 foot hose seems a little short. Is roller pump adequate for your pressure and gals per acre?

Look at my avatar and personal page pictures. Maybe a 400 gallon tank would not run out halfway through the day. (You need a one-ton truck, of course.) (Now sold).

steve's total lawn care
12-22-2010, 11:01 AM
i already have a second trailer that is my landscaping trailer for my mower and other equipment that i haul on it i have 3 trailers all together the other has a sprayer on it also its a 5x8 with a 125 gallon leg tank and 50 gallon pco tank so i have enough trailers.
200 gals works great for me since i am getting 100 gallons a little over a acre and the 200 ft works fine also and the pump works great i dont have any trouble. I have always liked roller pumps have had diaphgram didnt like it, too much maint for me. the only thing that i have doubts about is the sprayer will be custom built no skid so it will be permanent in the back of my truck. so not much room for fert since its a short bed.

Ric
12-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Equipment Cost to Benefit is a common question. There are many factors to take into account. The big question I have in this case is How many days a Year do you use this equipment. Is Spraying your full time job or do you cut grass etc also??

Growth and Expansion plans also come into play when setting up Equipment. I don't want to keep up sizing my equipment each year or half year.

I hate to dance around your question but I think there are far too many more factors to be considered before anyone can give you advice.

steve's total lawn care
12-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Ric i also cut grass but most of my profit is in spraying so i spray and fert about 90% the 10% is mowing and i work 10 months out of the year. And i wouldnt be spending any more money since i have extra sprayers and spray parts all over the place. I just need to know should i stick to how i have been doing it or would this new option i want to try will be profitable and not slow me down and is it worth it,

Ric
12-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Steve

Once again not enough information to advice you. How bad out your roads with Pot Holes Etc? Does pulling a trailer wear you out? Do you have several customer were turning the trailer around is a hassle?

Is your Truck your only form of transportation? Do you ride your Kids, Wife, Girl Friend, Etc in that truck to the shopping mall at night? Is that Shopping Mall safe from being ripped off?

AnotherOkie
12-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Steve, looks like we don't live far apart. I live a few miles west of Twin Lakes. I use a 200 gal skid with a silvercast roller pump and 300 ft of hose. I also have a 25 gal tank and a 14 ft breakaway fold up boom on my atv. It works great on large open properties.

RigglePLC
12-22-2010, 08:28 PM
I don't understand the 15 foot boom. Are you carrying the boom? Is it attached to a Z-Spray or mower? Is it going to be attached to your truck? Did you intend to drive the truck on the grass you are treating?

You are applying about 100 gals per acre--so --do I understand, you have 175 gallons and the capacity to treat 1.75 acres. And then must return to refill.
My calcuations show that you would cover 1320 sqft at 1 mph, and at 5 mph run out of 175 gallons of spray solution in 11 minutes. Is this what you mean?

steve's total lawn care
01-02-2011, 07:16 PM
the 15 ft break a way boom is attached to my mower with the sprayer i can cover my whole 3 acres with 75 gallons my sprayer is calibrated at 25 gallons an acre. My trailer rig covers 100 gals an acre and i spray by hand with that sprayer thats why i use the boominator nozzle on my big lawns its conected to a spray gun with a 24 inch lance so it doesent take long to spray a big yard that way im just tired of walking all the time lol.

CHARLES CUE
01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
the 15 ft break a way boom is attached to my mower with the sprayer i can cover my whole 3 acres with 75 gallons my sprayer is calibrated at 25 gallons an acre. My trailer rig covers 100 gals an acre and i spray by hand with that sprayer thats why i use the boominator nozzle on my big lawns its conected to a spray gun with a 24 inch lance so it doesent take long to spray a big yard that way im just tired of walking all the time lol.

Sounds like you answered your own question go with the ride on.

Hand spraying big yards takes a lot of water and can wears you out.

Are you spraying urea for your fert ? or is this just weed control.

If you go with a smaller boom you could do smaller yards.

If it's only weed control you could even go down to 11 gals per acre.

Is your boom in the front or back?

Charles Cue

RigglePLC
01-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Steve, I think I understand. Space will be tight once you have the tank, motor, pump and reel on the truck. You will find a way to carry more fert. I am thinking you need to carry a spreader, too. Take a look at my truck (now sold) in my photos on my personal page. You can just lay two layers of the bags of fert flat. Then stand the rest of them up vertically on top of original two layers. Strap down if needed. About 14 for me. Keep trying--you should also be able to get ten in the front seat. No room for your lunch,LOL! The tank must be empty or almost so--otherwise you will be overweight. Bad news if it rains. If you look carefully at my pics--you can see that at certain times of the year--I did not have the sprayer or tank on truck--I carried a pallet of fert instead.

steve's total lawn care
01-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Charles my boom was in the front but i had changed it due to it was to low to the ground then i mounted it to the back and it raised it up just enough to get better coverage and i just spray weed killer and pre-m with this set up i use granuals and a pull behind n hand spreader for fert. Im thinking about mounting this sprayer on a regular craftsman mower i have the deck is no good but it would work well as a dedicated spray machine i hate mowing with my ztr with the sprayer always mounted on it thats why i am thinking about doing this. i will post some pics when i am done with it.

steve's total lawn care
01-03-2011, 01:14 AM
Riggle yeah the space will be tight for fert in the back so thats another question i have to solve this is getting frustrating in some ways since space is limited for me. n it would be hard to put fert in the seat since i have a hand that helps me spray. so i dont know what to do.