PDA

View Full Version : I bought it. Now what do I do with it???

Ric
12-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Yo

I recently picked up a VERY USED Toro Workman Boom sprayer CHEAP.

http://www.toro.com/golf/spray/spray/vehicle/200.html

The Boom and tank were stripped off but the PTO is still functional to operate a pump. At present time I have this at my Buddies Shop to be rebuild. His instructions are to put it back to running perfect if possible. At the price I bought it for and what they sell for brand new I can afford to dump some money in it. I would like to put it back to a VERY workable condition.

OK NOW WHAT I DO WITH IT???? No tank at present time so any number of designs can be used.

PS I have some Ideas but would like some more input.

grassman177
12-23-2010, 02:37 PM
i dont know,but that is awesome for doing very large applications(which i assume you have) and it should be fun.

superintendent
12-23-2010, 03:26 PM
I have a Multipro 1250 and use it for athletic fields

Ric
12-23-2010, 04:53 PM
i dont know,but that is awesome for doing very large applications(which i assume you have) and it should be fun.

Grassman

Decked out with Boom and Foam mark etc, brand new I am thinking it runs around $ 25 K. The foam Marker set up is still there but not working. I believe it only needs a new Compressor to work. But the Boom is long gone. It has a 17 hp Kohler which the newer ones now have a 20 hp. But the 3 speed transmission and rear axle in great shape as is the Frame etc.

While I am hoping the present engine will run great, to replace it would not be a deal breaker. I recently gave my Motorcycle away because rebuilding the engine was a deal breaker for me. I felt the old Bike wasn't worth the cost of repair.

Yes I have some Ideas on what to do with it. But I am open to suggestions.

superintendent

At one time I did some Pro Bo no on the High School fields. But I really felt used when a school clerk screwed up and put my competitors name on my work in the yearly schedule. Today the county has the former greens keeper for one of the major league baseballs teams Spring Training fields. He does an excellent job and everything is done in house now. Government work in Florida seems to be very low ball. Too many Lost cause grandchildren living off of grandma

grassman177
12-23-2010, 06:02 PM
are you going to replace the boom with the original or make your own?

a tank system will be easy to set up, it is all just cut and piece really.

Ric
12-23-2010, 06:36 PM
are you going to replace the boom with the original or make your own?

a tank system will be easy to set up, it is all just cut and piece really.

Grassman

I do know where the original boom is, However it is in very bad shape and I am thinking of either a Boomless nozzle or Buying a boom which is cheaper than trying to build a boom. I think I can add on or modify a boom easier than I can build one from scratch.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/134466/FIMCO-ATV-Seven-nozzle-140-Fold-Behind-Sprayer-Boom-Kit

But first order of business is getting the unit running good and making sure it will hold up. I don't mind gambling on it, but I do want to cover my bets.

Tom Gs
12-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Ask Stone.

RigglePLC
12-23-2010, 07:37 PM
A tank that fits should be available especially if it doesn't need to fit perfectly. But what about a pump? Costly unless you go with a roller pump. Agitation? You should try to set up both a boom and a boomless setup... boomless wide angle nozzle for rough terrain, fence rows, right of way shoulders. Provide a hand gun option if feasable.

http://www.hypropumps.com/en-us/Products/Pumps/Roller/4000/4001/Features.htm

If it floats, you can do the hydrilla, and water milfoil. Watch out for the alligators. Did you hear about the kayaker who was attacked by an alligator? Can you find a suction pump? They need help out on that California football field.

CHARLES CUE
12-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Ric I have used a sprayer of this type but not a toro. I guess you are going to use it on big places. The one i used was a Cushman. A little different than the one i use every day but they are nice. How about a bigger boom ? than that atv one with things not needed.

Charles Cue

I will try a attchment

Ric
01-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Ric I have used a sprayer of this type but not a toro. I guess you are going to use it on big places. The one i used was a Cushman. A little different than the one i use every day but they are nice. How about a bigger boom ? than that atv one with things not needed.

Charles Cue

I will try a attchment

Charles

The size and type of boom will depend on the application or market I decide to design for. Boom-less Nozzle would be for Blanket Applications where over spray and drift wouldn't be a concern. A shielded boom with foam markers might be for low volume high concentrations of herbicides where drift and over spray are a major problem.

So back to my original question: I bought it, Now What do I do with it??? But the real question is What is the best market this equipment can compete in?? This Equipment is Bigger than a Z Sprayer but not big enough to spray corn or citrus etc. So I am looking for that niche market and will build the machine to fit it. I bought it on an impulse because it looked interesting. I have some Ideas of what to do with it, But I am open to all kinds of suggestions.

In Edit: House lots in my area are TOO small for even Z sprayers to be effective. Therefore the average home is not a target market for this machine.

ted putnam
01-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Ric, I know nothing about these machines but it looks like a perfect piece of equipment for large acreage Fire Ant jobs you have talked about before. I'd try to rig a hopper to it for broadcasting baits but from what I saw on the link in your first post, that is what I would try to do with it. Of course finding folks with 2 acre and up estates looking for Fire Ant Control in your area may be a problem. With that thing, you should be able to offer it at a very reasonable price because of time savings.You might try a simple but very noticeable ad in your local newspaper classifieds in Sunday's paper and see who bites.

Ric
01-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Ric, I know nothing about these machines but it looks like a perfect piece of equipment for large acreage Fire Ant jobs you have talked about before. I'd try to rig a hopper to it for broadcasting baits but from what I saw on the link in your first post, that is what I would try to do with it. Of course finding folks with 2 acre and up estates looking for Fire Ant Control in your area may be a problem. With that thing, you should be able to offer it at a very reasonable price because of time savings.You might try a simple but very noticeable ad in your local newspaper classifieds in Sunday's paper and see who bites.

Ted

You are spot on with my original plan when I first saw this hunk of Junk. I am thinking Horse Pastures, HOA Common Ground, Industrial Complexes, Storage Yards, and Condo complex. Basical any place I can get this equipment. I have my Chemical cost for Fire Ant Control down to about Nothing. This equipment should bring Labor down to little or nothing. a Boom-less nozzle sprayer off the back and a hand gun from the Drivers seat for nailing the Shrubs and a barrier treatment without getting off my lazy butt. That alone should more than pay for any money I put in this equipment. I can see low balling and still making money.

But I am still looking for other application or markets for this equipment.

ted putnam
01-03-2011, 12:48 PM
OK, here's another one possibly. Do they make a de-icing solution safe for crops/vegetation people might not want frozen on some of these cold mornings you have been having down there? If so, would there be a market for it? Surely there are people with small citrus trees and tropical plants in there landscape that might be interested.

Ric
01-03-2011, 02:18 PM
OK, here's another one possibly. Do they make a de-icing solution safe for crops/vegetation people might not want frozen on some of these cold mornings you have been having down there? If so, would there be a market for it? Surely there are people with small citrus trees and tropical plants in there landscape that might be interested.

Ted

I live in SOUTH Florida, A 12 ft Snow Plow just wouldn't see any use here.

However I have posted on several occasions about Chemical Mowing. This might be just the machine for chemically mowing large areas. Last year I mechanically mowed my own yard 8 times and my turf never was over 6 inches tall. However I used the Ric-A-Green which is set up to give little or NO over spray. To set up the toro 1100 work saver to have no over spray would mean having booms very close to the ground and shielded. I would also have to get the foam marker working.

RigglePLC
01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Ric, nice idea. I see this sprayer as ideal for weed control and chemical mowing along the right-of-way on roads and highways. Push the brush and vines back. Dodge around the speed limit signs--supplement tight spots with a hand gun. Steep banks do with hand gun. Add fert during rainy weather for areas that need to be thicker. Contract seed in areas that have bare soil or erosion risk. Growth ******ant as needed. Wildflower seed if you can get a few contracts. Clover or legume seed to build more nutrition in the soil. Crown vetch or something suitable to Florida conditions for steep areas that need it. (For erosion control). Circles of Roundup or ******ant around signs and guard rails to save the county money on string tirmming. Use the county sewage residue for fert.

Ric
01-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Ric, nice idea. I see this sprayer as ideal for weed control and chemical mowing along the right-of-way on roads and highways. Push the brush and vines back. Dodge around the speed limit signs--supplement tight spots with a hand gun. Steep banks do with hand gun. Add fert during rainy weather for areas that need to be thicker. Contract seed in areas that have bare soil or erosion risk. Growth ******ant as needed. Wildflower seed if you can get a few contracts. Clover or legume seed to build more nutrition in the soil. Crown vetch or something suitable to Florida conditions for steep areas that need it. (For erosion control). Circles of Roundup or ******ant around signs and guard rails to save the county money on string tirmming. Use the county sewage residue for fert.

Riggle

Someone already beat me to the County Sewage Residue. JJ Baker Trucking has had that contract since the beginning of time. He gets paid by the county to haul it away and he get paid by sod farms to deliver and spread it. His 18 wheels have Stainless Steel tanks with Reverse Vacuum and high pressure pumps. That is one case were Deep Sh1t pays.

I like your Idea about Road and Right Away. In fact I been there and done that with no luck. Here in Florida Government contracts go for peanuts. Many years ago I got all Excited about a Country Mowing contract that was $ 100 K a year. Once I did the math i wasn't so excited. It paid $ 9.00 an acre including the trash pick up before mowing. Of course Weed Eating etc was also part of the price. You might of remembered Fl-landscape and myself posting about that same contact this last Spring. The county put it out for bid 3 times before a sucker bid it low enough. I have been to several Chemical Mowing Seminars put on by the U of F and the County Extension service. These seminars targeted the County powers to be. Unfortunately the Government wage slaves won't rock the boat by changing anything. I have been to both the County and City maintenance directors with a Chemical mowing proposal. BTW Other have also tried to sell the Chemical mowing Idea to the county.

I believe my Chemical mowing market is the same as my Fire Ant market I listed in my post # 12. However I also believe Snowbird homes are a very viable chemical mowing market. Warm season turf can be Chemically mowed very successful with the right set up. The major problem is selling the Idea. Realize even showing the County over a $ 100 K saving a year, No one could sell them on chemical mowing even with the U of F pushing the issue.

BTW any one interested in Chemical Mowing in Florida might want to take it slow. It takes some doing and a few dead lawn before getting right. If anyone gets a contract I am available to help you get set up, Of Course for a price.

sprayboy
01-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Ric,

Do any of the golf courses down there contract out? Some around here have went to this to save money. Don't know how the spraying license is structured in Florida, residential, commercial compared to course management but just an idea.

Ric
01-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Ric,

Do any of the golf courses down there contract out? Some around here have went to this to save money. Don't know how the spraying license is structured in Florida, residential, commercial compared to course management but just an idea.

Sprayboy

Thanks for a great Idea but that ship has also sailed in my area. I hate to be negative about any Idea when I am the one asking for help. Fact is I have a friend who is in that business and travels the state doing custom work like Fert and Hollow coring fairways etc. I am guessing he has close to 1/2 million in specialized equipment for Golf Courses. Just the truck to transport it isn't cheap.

BTW Spray license for Golf Course are very easy to get here Florida. Just take a test and pay the licensing fee. I hold several Ag Licenses, rather than take all the CEU to renew, I just re-test every 4 years

We have had some excellent Ideas so far What I am asking is a Brain storming session. In a Brain Storm even what appears to be the Stupidest Idea can trigger a real stroke of genius. So please no matter how simple or stupid your Idea is for this equipment, Please post it. Maybe some else will add to it and we will all have a winner.

sprayboy
01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Can you put some seats along the sides and use it as a taxi to transport the old folks to their shuffleboard games?

You never know?

JDUtah
01-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Can you put some seats along the sides and use it as a taxi to transport the old folks to their shuffleboard games?

You never know?

And turn the nozzles up to bath em at the same time

Ric
01-04-2011, 02:18 PM

You never know?

Actually that has some merit. But instead taxi people from the parking lot to the event they are attending. Foot Ball, Base Ball, concerts, etc

And turn the nozzles up to bath em at the same time

Your Humor is good and it gave me the Idea of Mosquito control as an other market for this equipment.

BShaffer
01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
ric,

that sprayer is a good rig, not my fav but good. Two ideas for you on the chem mowing which I love, but have had a equally difficult time selling is forclosure properties and canal banks. I think you are in the Naples area so I know you have plenty of those. The other thing that I would look into for parts for your spray rig would be golf courses. More often than not, almost all golf courses have bone yards. Being an old golf guy, i always loved to look at everyones bone yard to see what kind of treasures they have. I found all kinds of great stuff!! Some salvagible some not, worth a try.

Johnagain
01-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Ric,
Have you looked into the orange groves in your area for chemical mowing? I know up here in Lake county they are still bush hogging once every month or two during the summer. It might also help the growers reduce some fert costs.

Ric
01-05-2011, 12:32 AM
ric,

that sprayer is a good rig, not my fav but good. Two ideas for you on the chem mowing which I love, but have had a equally difficult time selling is forclosure properties and canal banks. I think you are in the Naples area so I know you have plenty of those. The other thing that I would look into for parts for your spray rig would be golf courses. More often than not, almost all golf courses have bone yards. Being an old golf guy, i always loved to look at everyones bone yard to see what kind of treasures they have. I found all kinds of great stuff!! Some salvagible some not, worth a try.

Thanks

I forgot about those bone yards. I got this work saver real cheap because all the Spray part were stripped. What parts were left were not worth saving.

Ric,
Have you looked into the orange groves in your area for chemical mowing? I know up here in Lake county they are still bush hogging once every month or two during the summer. It might also help the growers reduce some fert costs.

Johnagain

Good point and maybe an easier sell than you would think. But you realize that is a Two Tank System where a non-select Herbicide is sprayed under the tree while chemically mowing the center turf.

The reason I say easy sell is because there are several ""CARE TAKERS" who specialize on caring for smaller groves. Sell one Care Taker and he sells you to his customers. The Big Groves are already using this technology and have for many years. I plan to make some phone calls about this, but I am not going to rule out they are already doing it in the smaller groves.

BTW I can think of several other set ups that would work using two sprayers for one pass application in Citrus Groves. Ag Certifications are fairly simple to get.

sprayboy
01-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Ric,

When someone hits the right idea that makes you very rich with your machine, what % royalties will be paid?

Gotta ask.

Ric
01-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Ric,

When someone hits the right idea that makes you very rich with your machine, what % royalties will be paid?

Gotta ask.

Sprayboy

Why I will pay the same percentage as everyone else on LS has paid me for my advise over the last 9 years of course, turn about is fair play.

Ric
01-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Ric,

Johnagain

I made some calls to some custom applicators "CARE TAKERS" of several smaller groves. They are already Chemically Mowing as part of their Grove Management program. They work on a Percentage of the profits and to be competitive they have to stay up with modern technology.

You realize There is no pesticide Licensing required to apply GUP products to income producing Agricultural land. I can think of all kinds of inexpensive tow behinds that could do Citrus chemical mowing. Remember this is a Pragmatic use of chemicals and if you burn a few spots or make it turn yellow, all the better. This might be a good training ground for other chemical mowing markets that are fine turf.

sprayboy
01-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Sprayboy

Why I will pay the same percentage as everyone else on LS has paid me for my advise over the last 9 years of course, turn about is fair play.

I knew you would have a good resonse for that one.

What about high pressure power washing?

You could always put soap and water in one tank and suntan oil in another, go to the beach and give baths and a fresh coat of suntan oil to all the sun bathing beauties that will be there for spring break.

Ric
01-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I knew you would have a good resonse for that one.

What about high pressure power washing?

You could always put soap and water in one tank and suntan oil in another, go to the beach and give baths and a fresh coat of suntan oil to all the sun bathing beauties that will be there for spring break.

Sprayboy

Are you trying to give me a Heart Attack by suggesting I spray down College Girls with oil?? At my age that might be more dangerous than climbing Mt Everest.

Speaking of Soap & Water I have been looking at Foam Markers and how they work. They are actually fairly simple and easy to to build hopefully. Go to You Tube and search home made Foam Machine. I did a quick experiment this morning by putting a portable Fish saver air stone in a Glass of soapy water. I had a ton of foam in a NYC second. There are all kinds of designs for foam markers but the bottom line is Air Pressure in soapy water. The smaller the Air Stone Bubbles the finer the Foam. The finer the foam the longer it lasts. But I am sure different soaps work better than others.

Ric
02-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Here are some pictures of the work in progress on my used Work Saver. These picture were taken today and no it is far from complete.

BTW The original engine sounds good and is running great. That was the possible big expense of restoring it. What you see no way represents all the work done to this machine It was stripped all the way to the frame and rebuild back up. All new Wiring harness as well as starter and Carb etc. The serial Number said it is a 1996 model but I believe it will be as good as a 2011 model when done.

I expect to have around $ 2 K total into it when done and that is as cheap as you can go.

Ric
02-02-2011, 07:20 PM
I can not believe how outrageous Toro Parts prices can be.

Today I priced new Brake Shoes and Hydraulic brake Slaves for my work saver from a Toro Dealer.

It is Unbelievable that Toro was asking $ 378 for one set of Brake shoes and Drum. I need two, one for each side. Brake Slave Cylinders were another $ 270 EACH. Once again I needed two.

After Cleaning my pants I found a Brake Relining company that will Reline the old shoes which are in good shape. The Slave Cylinders are made by Bendix and had their number stamped on them. I have not had a change to run down the cost of the Slave cylinder from NAPA but expect a very reasonable price no more than $ 50 a piece.

gregory
02-03-2011, 10:49 PM
ric why dont you call me some times. we are a bendix dealer. i was also going to tell you to have the shoes relined.. if you have a bendix number email it to me and i will hook you up.........

Ric
02-03-2011, 11:40 PM
ric why dont you call me some times. we are a bendix dealer. i was also going to tell you to have the shoes relined.. if you have a bendix number email it to me and i will hook you up.........

Karl

You are on my list and I was planning on stopping by today but got tied up. I didn't even get to my buddies shop to pick up the parts. One thing I wanted was direction to the relining place I believe it is F.M. Clutch?

Ric
02-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Karl

Hopefully I will be seeing you today. I am positive you will have to order the slaves Cylinders and that means next week before I get them. Rob my Mechanic is just about done with his first part of the Project. The Brakes which we really didn't have to replace but are doing so for safety are the last step in phase one.

End of this Month I attach a Herd spreader on the Reese hitch welded on the front and treat 25 acres for Fire Ants. Then phase two is a wood flat bed that I stripped off a old truck before Sending it to the scrap yard. The wood was almost brand new so I kept it inside my barn. Next hopefully comes a 200 gallon tank and boom-less nozzle. Good thing I have Rob because there will be some fabrication needed.

I am still not sure if I will try putting a boom on this unit. At present time I am thinking only about using it with nonstaining environmentally safe insecticides.

Even though I am paying someone else to do the work, I am really enjoying bring this 15 year old unit back to life. And the best part is a I have one job I can use it on that pays for the equipment.

Ric
02-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Well I feel like a Raped Ape after finally breaking down and paying Toro's prices for a Brake Cylinder. By the time shipping Tax and general BS a $ 35.00 Brake Cylinder Cost me over $ 300.00.

Add in another $ 127 for Brake shoe relining and I have more in Brake parts as I do on all the other parts and paint. I did get a trade out deal on the labor, so I am still looking great on the total package. I am hoping by the time it has a Boom less sprayer and tank etc, I will have only around $ 2,000 invested. If this unit last until the end of year, It will paid for itself 3 times over.

CHARLES CUE
02-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Well I feel like a Raped Ape after finally breaking down and paying Toro's prices for a Brake Cylinder. By the time shipping Tax and general BS a $ 35.00 Brake Cylinder Cost me over $ 300.00.

Add in another $ 127 for Brake shoe relining and I have more in Brake parts as I do on all the other parts and paint. I did get a trade out deal on the labor, so I am still looking great on the total package. I am hoping by the time it has a Boom less sprayer and tank etc, I will have only around $ 2,000 invested. If this unit last until the end of year, It will paid for itself 3 times over.

So ric was that brake cylinder a master cylinder or wheel cylinder ?

I figured you would find some thing in the auto section that would work.

Charles Cue

Ric
02-10-2011, 10:59 PM
So ric was that brake cylinder a master cylinder or wheel cylinder ?

I figured you would find some thing in the auto section that would work.

Charles Cue

Charles

It is a wheel cylinder made by Bendix with a valid Bendix Number molded right on the part. I went to every source I could think of including NAPA and Lawnsite Member Gregory.

Toro had these part manufactured by Bendix and Held those part Captive so only Toro could buy them from Bendix. What I have found out is that is a common practice and the Broadcast spreader Motor on the Lesco Truckter is also a captive part by Lesco. Once again a $ 40 motor can only be purchased from Lesco for around $ 200.

Now while I feel like a Raped Ape purchasing this wheel cylinder, I still Feel ahead of the game on this piece of equipment. I was prepared to purchase a new Engine when we first started into the Project. My mechanic rewired everything and replaced the Starter and Magneto to find very little wear on the Engine.

I don't have a digital Camera. But next time I can get my friend with a Camera over to the shop I just might have him take pictures of all the Machines in this home shady tree machine shop. He even has a Computer driven Plasma cutter table that can cut out parts.

Fact is We have had this equipment for about two years just sitting because of no real use for it. I picked a 25 acre Common Area Fire Ant control job 4 times a year. The second Treatment is due at the End of February. Therefore Time is such that I couldn't afford to wait on reasonable priced parts. If I only use this equipment for that contract, It is paid for and I still have a nice profit on top of a Ride on Spreader with 200 gallon tank.

Ric
02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Bump Bump

Well Ric seems to be the only one interested in this thread if no one else is. But then Ric had the Equipment for several years and finally got enough work to justify a rebuild.

All the parts are finally in and hopefully I can do my first job spreading Fire Ant baits with it Next Monday or Tuesday. That job is big enough that the profit will covers the total expense so far. But remember I got some real bargains on this equipment as well as trade outs. I am looking at Tanks now and think the Northern 200 gallon leg Tank will work nicely. I am planning on a Boomless nozzle but will build the tank saddle in such away that a regulator Boom can be supported at a later install time.

Some how I can't see going wrong with this equipment at the price I got it. If worse comes to worse I think I could sell it at a profit.

BTW I am planning on using a HN 55 Chemilizer Injector instead of tank mixing. This way I have only Fresh water in the Multi Pro tank. If I need to, I can pull the plug and empty the tank for transportation proposes. I can also change products at any time and not lose a drop. I had one on my Insecticide Spray truck and loved it until it got broken by an accident.

http://www.qcsupply.com/chemilizer-hn55-injector.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=productfeeds

fl-landscapes
02-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Bump Bump

Well Ric seems to be the only one interested in this thread if no one else is. But then Ric had the Equipment for several years and finally got enough work to justify a rebuild.

All the parts are finally in and hopefully I can do my first job spreading Fire Ant baits with it Next Monday or Tuesday. That job is big enough that the profit will covers the total expense so far. But remember I got some real bargains on this equipment as well as trade outs. I am looking at Tanks now and think the Northern 200 gallon leg Tank will work nicely. I am planning on a Boomless nozzle but will build the tank saddle in such away that a regulator Boom can be supported at a later install time.

Some how I can't see going wrong with this equipment at the price I got it. If worse comes to worse I think I could sell it at a profit.

BTW I am planning on using a HN 55 Chemilizer Injector instead of tank mixing. This way I have only Fresh water in the Multi Pro tank. If I need to, I can pull the plug and empty the tank for transportation proposes. I can also change products at any time and not lose a drop. I had one on my Insecticide Spray truck and loved it until it got broken by an accident.

http://www.qcsupply.com/chemilizer-hn55-injector.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=productfeeds

If I pay to add a side car to it can I put some goggles and a leather fighter pilot helmet on and ride shotgun during the apps??

Ric
02-15-2011, 03:56 PM
If I pay to add a side car to it can I put some goggles and a leather fighter pilot helmet on and ride shotgun during the apps??

Brian

Only if you have a Co Pilot's license issued by the FCC and the BEPC DACS

fl-landscapes
02-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Brian

Only if you have a Co Pilot's license issued by the FCC and the BEPC DACS

Of course I have those lis. I once flew with snoopy in his dog house

Ric
02-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Of course I have those lis. I once flew with snoopy in his dog house

Well Charlie Brown just watch out for Lucy and the football.

BTW I found an other use for the Toro. The house you send me with the cheap price. I can use it inside Mcmasion to spray hallways.

fl-landscapes
02-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Well Charlie Brown just watch out for Lucy and the football.

BTW I found an other use for the Toro. The house you send me with the cheap price. I can use it inside Mcmasion to spray hallways.

figured she had money, never seen her house before. She is a nice lady and I hope it works out for you, especially how close it is to your house will make it convenient. Cheap price = not my dept.

Ric
02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
figured she had money, never seen her house before. She is a nice lady and I hope it works out for you, especially how close it is to your house will make it convenient. Cheap price = not my dept.

OK an Average price not a cheap price. HOWEVER you failed tell me it was AVERAGE X 3 size house.

RigglePLC
02-16-2011, 02:40 PM
The Toro. What color are you going to paint it? Still waiting for pictures. Does it have an umbrella for sun protection? Chrome wheels?

Next time forget the expensive brakes, Ric--just drop anchor.

An elliptical tank would look sweet, (for around $849.)

http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=1466

Can you put a big plastic ant on top of it, to symbolize what you do?

Ric
02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
The Toro. What color are you going to paint it? Still waiting for pictures. Does it have an umbrella for sun protection? Chrome wheels?

Next time forget the expensive brakes, Ric--just drop anchor.

An elliptical tank would look sweet, (for around $849.)

http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=1466

Can you put a big plastic ant on top of it, to symbolize what you do?

Riggle

Look at my post # 30 this thread. It should answer your questions.

As for the Brakes, the wheel cylinder was due today from UPS. It had the wrong street number and hopefully be delivered tomorrow. There in still lies a point of stress if the part is the correct one or not.

I actually was looking a similar tank that was 69" long and 32" round. The trick at this point is to mount the tank at the lowest center of Gravity. At the present bed height I have only 33 inches clearance between the back tires and they stick up 7.5 inches. Therefore I might need to build a flat bed 8 inches higher, There are no springs on the back wheels.

fl-landscapes
02-16-2011, 05:09 PM
OK an Average price not a cheap price. HOWEVER you failed tell me it was AVERAGE X 3 size house.

Ive never been to the house, you jedi master made the mistake of throwing an estimate out before seeing the property, yours truly
grasshopper

Ric
02-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Riggle

Look at my post # 30 this thread. It should answer your questions.

As for the Brakes, the wheel cylinder was due today from UPS. It had the wrong street number and hopefully be delivered tomorrow. There in still lies a point of stress if the part is the correct one or not.

I actually was looking a similar tank that was 69" long and 32" round. The trick at this point is to mount the tank at the lowest center of Gravity. At the present bed height I have only 33 inches clearance between the back tires and they stick up 7.5 inches. Therefore I might need to build a flat bed 8 inches higher, There are no springs on the back wheels.

Hopeful the last hurdle of the first phase of the rebuild is over. We recieved the Golden $ 300.00 Brake Cylinder today and it appears to be the correct part. I really hope I never have to do business with Wesco Turf again. at present time besides over charging me they Banged my Debt Card twice for a total of $ 600 and the invoice said a total of $ 279.43. I am still fighting that battle.

I am hoping on playing with this machine over the week end and use it to spread Fire Ant bait on Monday or Tuesday. How easy it is to operate will tell the tale as to how far I restore it. I am kind of excited like a 13 years old kid because the fact is I have been wanting to restore this machine for a long time. I have yet to drive it.

Ric
02-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Yo

Yet an other minor set back dam it. I don't know why I let these little things trouble me. So close yet so far away.

OK to replace the Brake Cylinder we had to pull the axle. Of course the wheel Bearing needed replaced after it was hammered out. Of course we are talking 19 years of minor corrosion to break lose. No big deal, hopefully we are getting the part today and THEN Phase One is done. I hope to get some up dated pictures of me driving it. BTW I am still of the belief it will be reliable. Everything we have done so far should out last me. I don't think Wheel cylinders or wheel bearing are likely to go bad again in the say 15 years which is longer than I plan to be around. While I want to use this machine on Monday for a Job, I have until the end of the month to schedule it.

Maybe it was the fight with Wesco Turf over double banging my bank account with my Debt Card Number. It took most of the day to straighten out and I almost took a drive to Wesco Turf with Bobby Gedds Shovel. Lucky my Bank Mgr realized how pissed I was and jumped through hoops to get the charges dropped. But she told she was able to only because they ran it as a Credit Card. Debt Cards have a whole other set of rules that pretty much screw the card holder. I hate Credit Cards but it looks like it is time to get one again.

BTW I just got a call the Wheel Bearing is in. Blow my mind IT COST $ 72.00

Ric
02-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Phase One of Operation Ric's Ride is complete. Totally investment so far is $ 1150.00. I drove Ric's Ride in all gears and at all speeds. even in 3rd gears and a Idle, the engine pulled from a dead stop with no hesitation. Now when I add a 200 Gallon tank I am sure I will need a little more gas.

I have sweated bullets over getting parts for this monster, but I am a Happy camper now. Next project (Phase Two) is to decide on which 200 tank will fit it best. I am still looking. The 69" long tanks are just a tad too long and would be hanging off the back. I need a 48" long tank so I still have enough Frame to hang a Boom. I still plan on a Boom-less nozzle to start with, But I also want a real boom that I might even consider shielding. Once I have selected tank I will build a frame or flat bed for the tank and hook up the pump off the PTO.

Ric
03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Not that any one appears interested, but Ric's Ride had a minor set back when the Brand new Magneto went out like a light. My Mechanic was out of town to a equipment show and so the Ric/s Ride project sat until yesterday when the Replacement Magneto was installed.

Today I treated over 25 acres for Fire Ants using baits and it took me just under an hour. I made some of the best per hour money in my life today but only for one hour. I also did the most profitable Low Ball pricing because of Ric's Ride, so everyone got a bargain.

Still to come is the 200 gallon Spray Tank and Boom Less Nozzle for a start. I am also thinking of adding a shielded Boom for herbicides or growth Regulators. But first I must find a larger market for treating large acreage. While there is a need to treat a lot of acres, There is not always a demand for it.

CHARLES CUE
03-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Today I treated over 25 acres for Fire Ants using baits and it took me just under an hour. I made some of the best per hour money in my life today but only for one hour. I also did the most profitable Low Ball pricing because of Ric's Ride, so everyone got a bargain.

So Ric did you treat the hole 25 Acres or did we just spot treat. That seems like a lot to do in a hour.

When are you going to post photos. Or does it still look like the photos in post 30. If so how did you treat ?

Charles Cue

fl-landscapes
03-02-2011, 08:56 PM
So Ric did you treat the hole 25 Acres or did we just spot treat. That seems like a lot to do in a hour.

When are you going to post photos. Or does it still look like the photos in post 30. If so how did you treat ?

Charles Cue

I can attest. Its pretty quick, I drove it around his neighborhood yesterday. Made me cry that I paid more for my spyker spreader than Ric paid for this toro work saver. Thing is built like a tank runs and looks awesome. And it will outlive ric for sure:laugh: so i get first dibs:laugh:

Ric
03-02-2011, 09:15 PM

Charles Cue

Banning or striping is as effective as blanket treatments when it comes to baiting large areas. The Worker ants find it because of a special smell and take it home to momma. Worker Ants travel up to a 100 ft in any direction from their nest. Therefore you only run a pattern to cover 50% of the feeding area.

FL Land

You should have taken a Picture and E mailed it to me for LS. But there isn't a lot of visible progress at this time. The tank etc has a little time to go yet. One current problem is the lack of weight on the rear wheels for traction. I sure a 200 gallon tank will take care of that.

Ric
03-02-2011, 09:33 PM

Charles Cue

Banning or striping is as effective as blanket treatments when it comes to baiting large areas. The Worker ants find it because of a special smell and take it home to momma. Worker Ants travel up to a 100 ft in any direction from their nest. Therefore you only run a pattern to cover 50% of the feeding area.

FL Land

You should have taken a Picture and E mailed it to me for LS. But there isn't a lot of visible progress at this time. The tank etc has a little time to go yet. One current problem is the lack of weight on the rear wheels for traction. I sure a 200 gallon tank will take care of that.

Charles

Rereading your question I realize I might not of fully answered it. The Reese reciever welded on the front bumper holds a Herd Spreader for spreading Fire Ant baits. It also will spread seeds but not fertilizer. From the drivers seat back it is still frame only. That is Phase TWO of Ric's Ride.

fl-landscapes
03-02-2011, 09:58 PM

FL Land

Yup Ill take a pic next time im over. When ar eyou getting a tank anyway? That something you will get local?

Ric
03-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Yup Ill take a pic next time im over. When ar eyou getting a tank anyway? That something you will get local?

FL Land

The tank is one of the design hold backs right now. Finding the best Tank design is key before moving on. The large Turf Tires only leave about 33 inch clearance. Either I find a round or oval tank etc to fit that space or I build a Flat bed over top of the wheels. I don't want to hang a tank off the back either, I want the keep this as short as possible. I would like to keep the tank as low as possible for balance reasons. If you look earlier in this thread Riggle made a good tank suggestion and was thinking along the same lines.

The one thing it does have is power and right now with very little weight Speed. Fill a 200 tank and I sure I' ll lose a few MPH. But Right now it is too fast.

The problem with this equipment is finding enough work for it. But I am into it cheap enough, it doesn't have to work but just a little.

Plantculture
03-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Ric,
Is there equestrian activities in your area. I know they like to have fire ant treatments done and possibly use it for spraying bermuda polo fields.

Ric
03-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Ric,
Is there equestrian activities in your area. I know they like to have fire ant treatments done and possibly use it for spraying bermuda polo fields.

Plant

I did Polo Fields years ago and they are not easy. Horses can tear up a field real quick.

But we do have some 5 and 10 acre Horse Estates here in a couple of areas that might be an excellent market. I think key advertisement might be directed at Horse Clubs and feed stores where Horse people can see a PICTURE of Ric's Ride with a sign stating how much cost effective (low ball) treatments can be. 46-0-0 spreadable granules would be cheap and effective way to grow Pasture Grass. What the Heck just call me "Pasture Grass" without all the misinformation and BS.

gregory
03-03-2011, 06:01 PM
I can attest. Its pretty quick, I drove it around his neighborhood yesterday. Made me cry that I paid more for my spyker spreader than Ric paid for this toro work saver. Thing is built like a tank runs and looks awesome. And it will outlive ric for sure:laugh: so i get first dibs:laugh:

what you get first dibs????

Ric
03-03-2011, 06:21 PM

what you get first dibs????

Boy has this machine changed my status. Last week you guy were drawing numbers to see who got to piss on my grave first. Now it is a competition to see who inherits my equipment. :cool2:

gregory
03-03-2011, 07:44 PM
you feel the love dont you ric?