PDA

View Full Version : Dump Truck vs Dump Trailer

jslawn
12-23-2010, 02:28 PM
This my have already been discussed but i just want to see what your opinions are between the two. They both have there place i know but which would you choose and why over the other? The thing with dump truck is you have to have tags and insurance , but you have a back up truck if something went wrong with your other truck. With a dump trailer they are generally heavy as is and cant carry to much of a load depending on your truck governor weight.

Darryl G
12-23-2010, 07:30 PM
I went the dump trailer route. Bought a 10k pound gross 7 x 12 Bri-Mar. It would take a pretty big dump truck to have a the payload capacity my trailer does (over 3 tons). I can use it for hauling my landscape tractor and my mowers too.

The thing that makes a huge difference to a solo guy like myself is that the loading height on a low profile dump is way better...I can lift pretty heavy stuff to knee level. With a dump truck the loading height is more like chest level.

But for tight spots/maneuvering and probably overall utility, the dump truck wins hands down.

Littleriver1
12-24-2010, 10:21 AM
I went with the dump trailer for the loading ability and halling. The front loader fits nice and can be droped at a work site. I worked with a friend that had a drump truck and besides mulch he didn't seem to hall much. He had another trailer to hall his front loader. Dump trucks have a place but unless you use it almost every day it is a very large price tag to just sit in the yard. Trailers are cheep and very little to maintain. Resale value on trucks drop like a rock, but dump trailers hold their value for ever. You would have to look long and hard to find a used dump trailer. Once people get them they keep them for ever and there is a reason for that. If one comes up for sale and your not standing next to it when the sign goes on it, you'll miss it. The main thing to look at is, how much the trailer will lift when you want to dump it. I see guys unloading dump trailers by hand all the time. I'm sure their thinking "this sucks". I got a Pequea trailer. Much better than a Bri-Mar.

mowerbrad
12-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Its all about application when you look at dump trailers and dump trucks.

In order to make the most of a dump trailer, you have to have a good truck for it. Obviously, 1500 pick-up isn't going to be great for towing a 10k dump trailer. But if you have a 3/4 ton pick-up or larger, you can tow a dump trailer without much problem. You just have to couple the trailer with a proper truck. A 14k dump trailer is probably not going to be best used with a 2500 gas truck but rather a 3500 diesel. For the most part, the dump trailers that you'd be looking at will be 7k or 10k, which would be able to be handled by a 2500HD.

If you don't need to use a dump every day, a trailer is probably your best option. Especially if you are on a budget. You can use the truck you already own to tow the trailer, just unhook from the trailer and you have your regular truck back. Plus, if you already have an HD truck you can easily purchase an $8000 dump trailer over purchasing a second vehicle, such as a dump truck that even used would probably cost over $25000. So you can either have a dedicated dump truck that all it does is act as a dump truck or tow vehicle. With a pick-up and dump trailer your truck can still be used for whatever, even if you use it as your personal truck too.

Of course there is always the things that the previous posters stated as well.

wellbuilt
12-24-2010, 07:19 PM
I use my dump trailers (3) all the time .
I pull it so much i had to get a dump truck .
I vote for both .

bobcat_ron
12-24-2010, 09:25 PM
I prefer dump trailers if I am doing all the work, and you can still haul your mini excavator or skid steer in the back of a dump trailer if needed.
A dump truck is something I prefer for long distance hauling or large on site work where a dump trailer is just a pain.
If I go with a dump trailer, I want to put a wet kit on my truck, I really hate those electric dump systems.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-24-2010, 09:28 PM
whats a wet kit? i really hate my dump trailer electrical system too!

Darryl G
12-25-2010, 12:34 AM
I believe he's talking about running it from his truck with a power take off to replace the electric motor on the electric/hydraulic system on the trailer. I don't think it's usually done with small dump trailers, more the big rigs.

meador56
12-25-2010, 10:17 PM
I vote for both .

I agree we own both and each has it's place. We love our trailer especially on jobs with no place to pile gravel or sand low profile allows us to pull material directly off the trailer. We just put a blue tarp down and no clean up even the MT55 will reach in and retreive material. The down side to trailers are the electric hydraulic systems. These could be improved with more batteries(and I've thought about it) but still when you dump over and over without a road trip they just can't compete with a dump truck. We bought a GMC 5500 lo-pro with A/C 454 allison 14' flat for $6500. It was former Schwans truck that has been repainted white. Truck has 150k miles but runs like new and I find several diesels in the 10-15k range.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-25-2010, 10:37 PM
I believe he's talking about running it from his truck with a power take off to replace the electric motor on the electric/hydraulic system on the trailer. I don't think it's usually done with small dump trailers, more the big rigs.

it would still have to have an electric motor right?

Darryl G
12-25-2010, 11:34 PM
it would still have to have an electric motor right?

Nope, power takeoff off the transmission to hydraulic pump.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-26-2010, 09:29 AM
wouldnt that be a pto???

kps2389
12-26-2010, 09:48 AM
wouldnt that be a pto???

PTO stands for Power Take Off

4 seasons lawn&land
12-26-2010, 09:51 AM
I just figured that out. I looked them up. Looks like you'll spend a few thousand doing it. Id rather just hook a jump pack to the trailer every time.

meador56
12-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I've thought about making the trailer work on truck hydraulics, most lite trucks however have no pto provisions. Several of the diesels and most manuals do but for those that don't pumps that drive off the engine that use a belt with an a/c type clutch. But you will still have to route controls thru the cab and have tank and hoses to the trailer. This would work well but be fairly expensive would have to be added to each truck that you wanted to use the trailer with. You could also find a pony unit like they use on detachs that you could move from unit to unit. In my mind the most practicle way to make an electric pump more useful would be to build an auxilary battery box and use 2-4 extra batterys which would give the 12v system a lot more running time. I've designed one for us but if you need to dump continuously you will need engine driven hydraulics.

clydebusa
12-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I vote for both .

I double this quote!!

4 seasons lawn&land
12-26-2010, 01:44 PM
would it not work to just run a charge wire from the truck through the 7 way plug?

TimNNJ
12-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Im in the same situation...thing is I have a 2007 f150 5.4l ..I want to buy a dump trailer for it...I will add a spring to the rear and stiffen it up...What do you think the biggest dump trailer I could haul with the 150...?...sorry to jump in...

Ukisuperstar
12-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Im in the same situation...thing is I have a 2007 f150 5.4l ..I want to buy a dump trailer for it...I will add a spring to the rear and stiffen it up...What do you think the biggest dump trailer I could haul with the 150...?...sorry to jump in...

Assuming your max tow capacity is 10,000lb which most half tons are, I wouldn't go bigger than a 6ton (6x12) dump. It will give you flexibility if you do ever purchase a slightly bigger truck aswell.

meador56
12-26-2010, 09:35 PM
would it not work to just run a charge wire from the truck through the 7 way plug?

Most trucks with factory 7-way plugs have a hot pole on them. On our trailer we charge from the truck but this will not keep the battery charged when you dump time after time, back to back as in moving material from one part of a job site to another. When you haul, say,rock from the quarry and you drive 15-20 minutes between dumps then you good to go.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Assuming your max tow capacity is 10,000lb which most half tons are, I wouldn't go bigger than a 6ton (6x12) dump. It will give you flexibility if you do ever purchase a slightly bigger truck aswell.

A 6 ton would put a half ton truck in the ditch. I have a 7 ton and its WAAAY too big for my 2500. I plan on getting a 26k truck soon. Need to find time to get through the CDL stuff.

Peerless Lawn Care
12-27-2010, 10:43 AM
I currently have a 1999 Chevy 3500 gas dump truck. I love it, works great. However, I am selling it because I just bought another truck and would rather have a dump trailer. Reason being it is primarily used for spring and fall clean up when a crew (typically 4 guys) is on location. I can use a dump trailer to haul my Bobcat in the winter and another crew of mowers when the time comes.

I think it truly depends on the size of your operation. Large companies can probably use both. Smaller companies like mine can operate very efficiently with 2 trucks, one pulling the mowers an the other pulling the dump trailer. This way one truck can keep working while the other can go dump the trailer.

My gas dump truck really sucked fuel, so I can operate just as efficient with 2 diesels running around town. This is just my situation, may or may not pertain to you, but I thought I would post since I am looking to sell my dumpt truck and buy a dump trailer. Anybody message me with something they have for sale, I'd love to take a look at it.

Aaron

tcalb2
12-27-2010, 05:20 PM
I agree with peerless on the fuel mileage. I had a one ton dump and a small tacoma as my setup for a few years. I found that for what I do, "hardscapes" the one ton dump wasn't enough payload. I think I could only take 2 yds at the time. So I sold both and bought a 2500 chevy and a old ratty 6x10 dump trailer that I fixed up. I can put 3.5 yds in the dump trailer which is perfect amount for what I do plus, In the fall I through the leaf box on the trailer and use it for clean ups, hope this helps.

TimNNJ
12-27-2010, 05:59 PM
some snow eh?..sheesh..This year I plan on putting a 16' box truck on the road..which I am currently looking for..6/12' dump should do...w/ my 16' open trailer I can squeeze 6yards on it..but if I need more it's a major pain and takes to much time to empty..and just about 2tons of heave materials..2 pallets of sod..is pushing it..im a small growing operation..so I am looking to get something large enough that will last into the next growing step...which will probably be a 350?w/ dump insert ..

PlatinumLandCon
12-27-2010, 08:32 PM
They both have their place. I have my 3500 dually that I drive everyday that's loaded LT trim so its a comfortable ride and a tri-axle dump trailer. I don't need a dump truck everyday nor do I have the company size to support it. Sure, somedays I would love a dump truck but if the load is big enough, I just get it delivered. Plus, a dump trailer can sit in the yard and not cost me anything over the winter or if I don't use it. You need to be at the point where you have at least 2 independent crews until you get a dump truck. Also, a F550 dump truck is totally useless. A truck and trailer like mine can tow as much and is much nicer to drive. As far as dump trucks go, go big or go home IMO.

Duffster
12-27-2010, 08:35 PM
I guess I will say it since nobody else has.

You will need a CDL for a trailer over 10k.:)

treemover
12-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I guess I will say it since nobody else has.

You will need a CDL for a trailer over 10k.:)
Well said :clapping:

Duffster
12-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Well said :clapping:

You realize I was being sarcastic?;)

4 seasons lawn&land
12-28-2010, 02:42 PM
You realize I was being sarcastic?;)

thank god. 'bout had a stroke there lol

MDLawn
12-28-2010, 02:57 PM

I had an 05 ext cab 5.4 F150 a while ago and the 6x10 7k dump trailer which owned that truck. Squatted the rear with a full load, pushed the truck around, and didn't drive well with it attched. Upgraded to to a F250 and that truck owned that trailer. Upped the trailer to a 14k 14ft and its a good mix. Probably wont use the max payload but wanted the length. The F150 is a good "truck" but the 3/4-1 tons do a better job. I'm sure someone out there pulls a dump with a ranger and will say it does great. I just don't want to be near them with a full trailer. I just figured I would have worn out that truck too quick. Just my opinion.

Darryl G
12-29-2010, 02:59 PM

Yes but between dumping and operating the brakes it's just too light of a guage wire to reliably keep up with the charging requirements in all use scenarios.

TimNNJ
12-31-2010, 03:48 PM
I was so close to buying a f250 d this sept...but didn't pull the trigger...my truck is almost paid off...

I had an 05 ext cab 5.4 F150 a while ago and the 6x10 7k dump trailer which owned that truck. Squatted the rear with a full load, pushed the truck around, and didn't drive well with it attched. Upgraded to to a F250 and that truck owned that trailer. Upped the trailer to a 14k 14ft and its a good mix. Probably wont use the max payload but wanted the length. The F150 is a good "truck" but the 3/4-1 tons do a better job. I'm sure someone out there pulls a dump with a ranger and will say it does great. I just don't want to be near them with a full trailer. I just figured I would have worn out that truck too quick. Just my opinion.

brianslawncare
12-31-2010, 06:22 PM
i have the dump truck i needed it for plowing. but i think when i sell it i might go with the trailer and a heavy duty pick up. i could load the trailer with equiptment.

MDLawn
01-01-2011, 03:03 PM
I was so close to buying a f250 d this sept...but didn't pull the trigger...my truck is almost paid off...

This is a good thing. Just dont destroy it or you'll be making payments for repars or a new one!! I just felt the F150 I had was getting beat up by the trailer.

JShe8918
01-05-2011, 10:17 PM
My vote is to just get a second truck. I have found a 2006 crew cab f250 4x4 6.0 diesel with a dump bed with 3 foot sides for 16,000 with 90K miles on it. Can't beat that.