PDA

View Full Version : Lawn dye

Patriot Services
12-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Anybody here doing lawn dyeing in the south. Some many lawns have gone yellow again this year I can't help but wonder if there is money to be made. My HOA sends nasty grams with a 250.00 fine if your grass is not green. Regardless if its just dormant or we have had freezing temps.:usflag:

newjerseylandscaping
12-25-2010, 05:51 AM
how does one go about dying a lawn

RigglePLC
12-25-2010, 03:37 PM
So now our snow looks like lime jello.

RigglePLC
12-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Merry
Christmas, I hope you got some good stuff.
Here is a video of lawn coloration. Plenty more videos nearby to this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhJY4NUIsZs&feature=related

MR-G
12-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Anybody here doing lawn dyeing in the south. Some many lawns have gone yellow again this year I can't help but wonder if there is money to be made. My HOA sends nasty grams with a 250.00 fine if your grass is not green. Regardless if its just dormant or we have had freezing temps.:usflag:I would tell them goodbye....:usflag:

Patriot Services
12-27-2010, 02:07 PM
I would tell them goodbye....:usflag:

And what? Take a loss on your house if you can even manage to sell it. Love'em or hat'em deed retsrictions are the reason many of us h ave work.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheGoat
12-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I don't currently offer dying, but I plan to have it offered by my service (http://www.hungrygoatlawns.com) by next winter.
anyone have a favored supplier?

Patriot Services
12-27-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm researching in earnest. Experimenting still on own lawn will keep you posted. Dye looks pricey but gets better in quantity.
Posted via Mobile Device

txgrassguy
12-27-2010, 05:01 PM
So what do you want to know?

I dye dormant turf all of the time - it's easy to do although it does require a large volume of water per thousand feet so no permagreen type sprayer will work. Typically I am at somewhere around 3.5 to 5 gallons per thousand depending upon the turf type, existent height, current amount of discolor, turf density, etc.

A bit of experimentation goes a long ways to answering what will work for you but the dyeing is easy, per gallon applied makes me more money than pesticide applications (except ball moss spraying) but tank clean up is a royal pain in the arse.

Agitation is the key along with a decent strainer screen that doesn't have any blow-by. Also if you plan on spraying when ambient temps drop below 52*F or so I'd suggest not too. Most of the dyes available require warmer water temps to achieve a decent suspension and I have found in cooler temps the JD-9 gun will "spot" and clog.

Patriot Services
12-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I didn't think you did full lawns with a backpack sprayer.
Posted via Mobile Device

bx24
01-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I didn't think you did full lawns with a backpack sprayer.
Posted via Mobile Device

With a backpack sprayer? LOL!!! I have done them with a lrger sprayer (lawn paints not dyes) and they work...Need to price them to what they will pay. For a party, wedding, selling a home they are great.

cdqat1432
01-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Lawn dyeing is awesome! Although there is not much market around here due to dormancy, it does wonders on dog damage. John Deere Landscapes is my supplier. It really is not that expensive (unless you get it on the hardscaping) :nono:

Patriot Services
01-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Yea I noticed you don't want to track or overspray this stuff. I am trying to find a way to price it below the fines HOA's were levying last year for dormant yellow lawns. Mine included. Might be next year, putting together a good setup will take more time than I have right now. Testing it for repairs this season though.
Posted via Mobile Device

newjerseylandscaping
01-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Were do you get the dye?

Patriot Services
01-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Lots of places on line. Sports fields go through a ton and use different colors to create the stripes and logos. With anything else higher quantity gets you a better price.
Posted via Mobile Device

bx24
01-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Yea I noticed you don't want to track or overspray this stuff. I am trying to find a way to price it below the fines HOA's were levying last year for dormant yellow lawns. Mine included. Might be next year, putting together a good setup will take more time than I have right now. Testing it for repairs this season though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hear ya but my HOA, $1200a year is a joke..Send me letters etc but nothing will happen..Follow the lable and it works nice..

cgaengineer
01-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Do not use a skid sprayer for the lawn paint...the droplets are so large it will take 5 times as much dye as using a backpack. This is based on my personal experience painting my lawn. A backpack with a fan tip works best.

GreenI.A.
01-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Do not use a skid sprayer for the lawn paint...the droplets are so large it will take 5 times as much dye as using a backpack. This is based on my personal experience painting my lawn. A backpack with a fan tip works best.

with the skid sprayer if you are putting down more gallons per k, then you simply mix more water/less colorant. It is no different than properly applying the proper amount of pesticide per k. you have to know what your skid and you are spraying per k, you cant simply go by X amount per gallon on the bottle

cgaengineer
01-28-2011, 07:20 PM
with the skid sprayer if you are putting down more gallons per k, then you simply mix more water/less colorant. It is no different than properly applying the proper amount of pesticide per k. you have to know what your skid and you are spraying per k, you cant simply go by X amount per gallon on the bottle

Not arguing, but have you used the stuff? What I used was not dye, it was paint. It is a clay based paint. The finer the droplet the more coverage...even says so on the jug.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
01-28-2011, 08:51 PM
The 2 products I used were more of a dye I think. They had a viscosity close to water and sprayed fine with backpacks. They weathered well even with the heavy rains we just had. It went down very easy using only a handheld sprayshield. I managed to get two jobs this year as it turned out milder than expected. Both were about 2k of turf sprayed and I made a great profit. I plan to pursue it further next winter. Thanks to everyone that contributed information.
Posted via Mobile Device