PDA

View Full Version : fords........

supercuts
12-28-2010, 08:01 PM
took my 00 f350 in for recall. they called to tell me the oil pan was rotted, wanted $3000 to replace it. ford..... diesel tanks delaminate, manifolds crack daily, oil pans rot out, 460 heads rot out, shackels dont last.... all problems due to metal. 100 years and business, cant they find good metal and fix these problems that have plagued them?

while is was there heard them talking about replacing the injectors on a 2011. then heard them talk about PCM's shorting out, catching fire??? really? come on ford. get with the game. I for one am fed up..and torn. i love my trucks and dont want to switch, but im tired of paying $3k for an oil pan, $3500 in damage when my fuel tank delamates (2x in 2 years/14K miles too!), $2500 for a head on a 460 because bosses rot off, my friend was just told his truck with 66K miles needed $2k for exhaust manifold......the list goes on and on and on.

i know all trucks have their problems but it just seems like they cant get their act together. if fords new 6.7L powerstroke fails like the 6.0 and 6.4, adn all the head/manifold problems with the gas engines, fords going to sink IMO

G. Ramey
12-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Ford wont go under they have a very effective advertising program. A lot of people don't research a products history they simply go on looks and what their told by the advertisers. I must admit I love the looks of those trucks, but would never own one until they can put together a truck that can maintain a good reputation for ten years or so.

GravelyGuy
12-28-2010, 10:32 PM
I think if you sold your Fords instead of buying more you would be a much happier person from what I've seen from you on here.

FYI, I had an oil pan rust through on my Chevy S10. The engine had to be unbolted and jacked up just to get it out. Nothing to cry about.

meets1
12-28-2010, 10:52 PM
My uncle is head service guy at a large ford dealer. He says it all the time. People look at the "toughness branding" that is in the commercials. Ford is alot more in your face type of truck than say gm or dodge. Ford has there advertising down and for that great for them.

I have had all three brands. I am now all GM. Trucks have 125K to 2200 miles on them. I have done nothing but replace shocks on the the 125K truck this week. Change oil, filters, etc. So far if there not broken, nickel n dimeing me, I am sticking with Gm for a while.

Now some will say what your doing them depends on there life. All trucks have Boss V plows on them, sanders, 32ft gooseneck trailers hooked all summer, hauling block, sod, skid, etc. I do use them.

supercuts
12-29-2010, 09:35 AM
I think if you sold your Fords instead of buying more you would be a much happier person from what I've seen from you on here.

FYI, I had an oil pan rust through on my Chevy S10. The engine had to be unbolted and jacked up just to get it out. Nothing to cry about.

i agree. only selling them for say gm's will cost more than keeping what i have. as they are replaced, they will be with other brands to help conserve some money rather than selling them all and replacing. my 08 will most likely be traded in as soon as the warranty is up. against my own advice i did buy another recently but largely due to its $1500 price tag for a 7.3l powerstroke over brand since it is only a backup truck. all newer trucks will not be fords. most of my problems started when i purchased my 08', so in my defense i was still a ford guy up till then

good luck to you if your truck was built in the 3 month block were they catch on fire. let me know how that burned out shell treats you. i dont wish you the same troubles ive had though

we had a blizzard a few days ago, my 08's tranny light came on the night before. ford say i cant drive it, not like it needs to earn me a living. the manuel says if it stays on teh truck goes into limp mode and needs to be towed in. my abs and air bag lights all turned on durring the storm. my truck was also in regen more than half the time stinking and smoking. its just wrong my truck has soo many problems. its going back in for two differnt oil leaks, tranny issue, my engine pulleys are squeaking and ahve already been replaced several times....

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
12-29-2010, 11:45 AM
My 05 6.0 is in right now,limped in with water in fuel light on,ended up being an injector 500.00$ oil change and fuel filters??? Just did fuel filters 6 months ago. Only 2000 miles on filters. Truck has 35000 miles on it. We will see. This is the 1st time its in the shop motor wise,both front u joints broke,(due to plowing ,hard turning,with the super long wheel base) Pretty happy with the truck overall(It cost me 81,000 with all the bells and whistles so I hope it lasts for 14 more yrs at least! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

buttaluv
12-29-2010, 01:40 PM
i agree. only selling them for say gm's will cost more than keeping what i have. as they are replaced, they will be with other brands to help conserve some money rather than selling them all and replacing. my 08 will most likely be traded in as soon as the warranty is up. against my own advice i did buy another recently but largely due to its $1500 price tag for a 7.3l powerstroke over brand since it is only a backup truck. all newer trucks will not be fords. most of my problems started when i purchased my 08', so in my defense i was still a ford guy up till then

good luck to you if your truck was built in the 3 month block were they catch on fire. let me know how that burned out shell treats you. i dont wish you the same troubles ive had though

we had a blizzard a few days ago, my 08's tranny light came on the night before. ford say i cant drive it, not like it needs to earn me a living. the manuel says if it stays on teh truck goes into limp mode and needs to be towed in. my abs and air bag lights all turned on durring the storm. my truck was also in regen more than half the time stinking and smoking. its just wrong my truck has soo many problems. its going back in for two differnt oil leaks, tranny issue, my engine pulleys are squeaking and ahve already been replaced several times....

Super Cuts, That is B.S. those trucks are to expensive for that to happen!!

jkilov
12-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Fords are becoming more and more disposable, not worth much out of warranty. Being a Ford man all my life I'm opting for something else next time, probably GM.

G. Ramey
12-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Something that cost half as much as my house should be reliable and last at least ten years.

joed
12-31-2010, 08:46 AM
All the car/truck manufacturers have been making cars and trucks for over 100 years. There is no excuse for them to be making something that can't last at least 10 years without any issues. There was an article last week that stated that 2010 saw the most recalls by car/truck manufacturers in history. So, where is the problem: the average worker, the engineers, cheap materials being used to keep costs down, etc? It's insane.

fireman9
12-31-2010, 10:49 AM
My 05 6.0 is in right now,limped in with water in fuel light on,ended up being an injector 500.00$ oil change and fuel filters??? Just did fuel filters 6 months ago. Only 2000 miles on filters. Truck has 35000 miles on it. We will see. This is the 1st time its in the shop motor wise,both front u joints broke,(due to plowing ,hard turning,with the super long wheel base) Pretty happy with the truck overall(It cost me 81,000 with all the bells and whistles so I hope it lasts for 14 more yrs at least! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

I was always a die hard Ford man till they came out with the 4.6 triton motors, then all bets were off. Never seen such junk forced on customers in my life.
I spent well over 15 years working on GM cars and trucks in dealerships an always owned at least two Fords much to my bosses dismay.
Long story short I was the one who fixed all them junk Fords that came in via trade or auctions and I've lost count on all the spring hangers and shackles I've changed not to mention how many stripped spark plug holes I've fixed, broken exhaust manifold studs extracted from v10's and 5.4's... the list goes on an on. Wait till you have to do a head gasket on one of these trucks and you find out the only way to get the heads off is to remove the cab or at least jack it up six inches.WTF !? Ford, who the hell thought of this? Must have been a rocket scientist after all the windshield is sloped like the space shuttle, oh wait that caught on fire too, maybe the same guy went to design for Ford after leaving NASA.
Poor steel is an issue but I personally won't own or should I say DISLIKE owning ANYTHING that has a power coating on it. Once it has a chip in it it will attract moisture like a magnet rotting out whatever it's covering. During the paint process all oils have to be removed for the power to stick then during the baking process whatever wasn't chemically stripped from the steel is baked off leaving it very susceptible to rusting.
Give me a nice enamel or oil based paint any-day over that crap.

Back to them Fords, Broken manifold studs....Easy fix - poor design.
The exhaust gaskets are assembled in a sandwich, most out of three layers of shitty low quality stainless steel. The two outer layers lay flat with the center having some ridges and bulges (ha,ha I said ridges and bulges). What happens is that the center layer starts to rust due to low quality steel and electrolysis between the cast manifold and aluminum head and expands between the two outer layers causing the manifold studs to sheer off just like you overtightened them. Something has to give...

As far as anyone that's had a spark plug shoot out of their Ford and it usually breaks the coil too... Well its comforting to know that there is only 3 to 5 threads holding in the plug in the first place. Why design a spark plug with an inch plus reach that's threaded all the way to only use 3 to 5 threads to hold it in an aluminum head in the first place? Must have been that rocket scientist again, Maybe he's too young to remember spark plugs blowing out of early VW bugs, maybe he's never seen a Heli-Coil, but I bet he knows what they are now.
I've fixed so many plugs I broke down and bought my own repair kit just for fixing friends trucks now.
Search for "TIME-SERT NEW FORD TRITON SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIR KIT" Simply the best repair kit on the market for them Fords.

As for MY business I run two FORD Trucks the first I've built from the ground up an 1978 F-250 4x4 400 cid Automatic with a rack mount dump body and plow and an 1985 F-350 2wd mason dump 460 gasser 4 speed, It was a contractors truck that was used as a rolling dumpster for small jobs and only has 34,000 miles.
That said between the two of them I think I only have about $7,000 in them both, not to mention the lower taxes and insurance bills.
Don't get me wrong I'd love to own a new truck someday but I can't see spending $81,000 on a new one when I can build three or four of them just how I want them for that price.
Oh and when I buy that new truck I'll look at them Fords but will probably own a Chevy:hammerhead:
AS for my daily drivers: The wife has an Volvo 850 Turbo wagon, I have a Volvo 740 Turbo sedan, a 1978 FORD BRONCO and a 1966 Kaiser-Jeep M35a2 Deuce-and-a- half...:cool2:

downtoearthlco
01-01-2011, 07:02 PM
I just got rid of an 08 Chevy in April with just over 20k. I was always a ford guy and had a few dodges as well and decided to try a chevy, big mistake.

The 08 Chevy issues I had was the exhaust vibration (they added pieces of flex pipe to absorb the noise) more annoying then anything, but this was a new truck and it sounded like the exhaust was rubbing in the frame.

Then it developed a 3-2-1 clunk according to the papers they gave me and GM called it normal (if you call it normal when the truck is lost between gears and the truck needs to be stopped to find itself or forced into gear, usually around 4k on the tack before it will clunk into gear) hence the 3-2-1 clunk.

At just over 20k it started running on 3 cylinders (mass airflow switch), but while in the shop for that they found the intake was leaking from the inside out, I lost the truck for 2 weeks this time and they refused to get me a rental for 3 days, they said I could run it as is until they got all the parts..:nono: Long story short, all I needed was a uniform and a time card as I was at the dealership that much with this truck. Also 3 other companies bought around the same time and I see there trucks at the dealership all the time.

I tried t lemon it to no avail, and once I got it back from the dealership I cleaned it out and traded back to a f-250 SD. So, yeah they all have issues and it comes down to what you like, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

supercuts
01-01-2011, 11:33 PM
I just got rid of an 08 Chevy in April with just over 20k. I was always a ford guy and had a few dodges as well and decided to try a chevy, big mistake.

I tried t lemon it to no avail, and once I got it back from the dealership I cleaned it out and traded back to a f-250 SD. So, yeah they all have issues and it comes down to what you like, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

thanks for the line. i know they all have their problems. what is great abotu your post is you give actual problems to look for. i will most likely be going GM next time and now i have short list of things to look into. the only other complaints ive heard about are the exhaust manifords. maybe i should be looking at dodge? i went down the lemon law twice with my truck.....i won the first case but it was thrown out, then i was told my truck didnt meat criteria at the 2nd hearing and i lost!! WTF?. the arbitrating attorney was from my town and questioned me more about an unrelated negative subject to do with town then about my truck. the state "expert" was hardly qualified to look at car let alone testify how they opporate. now the attorney general is reviewing my complaint and the way my case has been handled.

cutbetterthanyou
01-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Can i see a pic of this $81,000 truck? I have never heard of a pick up that cost that much. But, you didn't say it was a pickup. Please don't tell me you paid $81,000 for a pickup. If you did you are even dumber than i was for spend 50 on one.

01-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Ok ready 53800 for the truck F-550 XLT Crew cab chassis only no bed,6-disc cd changer 9000 for the custom 12' rack dump, Yeah its a boat!5000 for the Fisher 9.5 E-Z plow 5000 for the 2.7 yd sander,9000 for the finance charges,and I did another 2-3500 on customizing the exterrior, So I have 85000 into it! We did the injector,changed the oil and filter ,Both fuel filters and its still a slug???? I'm going down to the shop to figure it out tomorrow morning! I need some luck for this one!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

Marek
01-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Will make you a bet that the fuel pump screen in the tank is clogged !

Junior M
01-02-2011, 08:58 PM
I dont have much experience with Fords.. But my 2002 2500HD has had 140,000 problem free miles..

The truck I drive at work, 2006 F350 with the 6.0 with 80,000 miles. has had multiple..

First injectors. Now something else went out Friday. I am not sure what all went but I know it was burning all the water and when I finally limped it back to the shop oil was pouring from the muffler.

I told them 2 weeks ago something was wrong with it when it was smoking..

Marek
01-02-2011, 09:33 PM
We have lost O rings on the injectors on 6.0 trucks causing hard starts and a lack of power. Also had bad injectors causing the same . With a 550 truck with the fuel tank behind the rear axle I would start with the screens in the fuel pump and change your fuel filters, cut them open and see if they are all brown and rusty. You can also pull the sending unit and swab the top of the tank to see if its rusting out. If so call you service manager and see if they will replace it under warranty if not just do it yourself its not that hard but the tank is $780 plus new filters and fuel pump.

01-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Thx guys,gonna ck it. The rear tank was making the truck run the worse of the two. I'll lež ya know. If the fuel pump is still working,can't I just clean it? Now with the rear tank ,can I relaminate the inside? Seen it done to a 79 mustang tank on Spike TV on Powerblock? BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

Marek
01-03-2011, 01:56 AM
If the screens are clogged then you might want to just replace the whole works. The injectors need a certain PSI and with the screens getting clogged up they have not been getting that which can cause them to be under lubricated causing them to go bad also. Hope this helps ,this is how it was all explained to me by my Ford tech. And you wonder why our latest truck has a duramax .

supercuts
01-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Will make you a bet that the fuel pump screen in the tank is clogged !

i 2nd that, your tank is delaminating. dump the body up, pop off that vent and look in there, you will see lots of debris sloshing around in there.

supercuts
01-03-2011, 08:29 PM
We have lost O rings on the injectors on 6.0 trucks causing hard starts and a lack of power. Also had bad injectors causing the same . With a 550 truck with the fuel tank behind the rear axle I would start with the screens in the fuel pump and change your fuel filters, cut them open and see if they are all brown and rusty. You can also pull the sending unit and swab the top of the tank to see if its rusting out. If so call you service manager and see if they will replace it under warranty if not just do it yourself its not that hard but the tank is $780 plus new filters and fuel pump.

my tank was $900. your 6.0L will fry those injectors with low fuel preasure. like he said, check the top of the tank, its usually worse then the bottom but mine was rotted all along the bottom as well.

my 08 is going back in tommarrow for the umpteenth time

Marek
01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Thx guys,gonna ck it. The rear tank was making the truck run the worse of the two. I'll lež ya know. If the fuel pump is still working,can't I just clean it? Now with the rear tank ,can I relaminate the inside? Seen it done to a 79 mustang tank on Spike TV on Powerblock? BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

Well whats the word ? What did you find out ?

01-03-2011, 11:11 PM
My mechanic said that all he has to do is reprogram it. Another 14 hrs later and still no word??? He's saying I shouldn't worry? We will C BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

Marek
01-04-2011, 09:37 AM
How much warranty do you have left ? For is famous for putting on band aids to get the truck out of its warranty period. Was the truck throwing any codes ? Tell him you would like the fuel pressure tested .

punt66
01-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Something that cost half as much as my house should be reliable and last at least ten years.

wow, you have a cheap house!

Evan528
01-04-2011, 10:10 AM
wow, you have a cheap house!

Lol I was thinking the same thing.

supercuts
01-04-2011, 11:52 AM
why would you guys knock someone for owning a house that didnt cost as much as yours? not cool

i called the ford dealer yesturday at 4:45pm to make sure they were on schedual and still wanted my truck today for its 8am appointment. said they wanted it ford first thing in the morning. dropped it off today and they say they cant look at it until at least tommarrow because they are backed up. WTF? why did i bring it in?

STEVE B, what dealer are you using. i have little faith in any of the dealers around me

GravelyGuy
01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
It seriously sounds like it's your dealers giving you the royal screwing. Your truck has been to the dealer enough times for them to replace one of everything.

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
2500HD 6.0L vortec
-countless window regulators
-several alternators
-1 tranny at 36K and another at 100K
-power steering pump went
-belt tensioners
-entire ac system had to be replaced (out of pocket)
-shitty paint, rust bubbles in several places
-leaky front halfshaft seal
-leaky transfer case
-trans lines that rust like its their job along with brake lines
-fuel pump at 75K like clockwork but thats everyone
-fuel pressure reg failed very early on but quick easy fix
-and we just put almost 3,000 in new front end parts from ball joints, wheel bearings, pitman & idler arms, tie rod ends etc...

this truck sucks to work on, i love changing the oil and having the stream hit the exhaust pipe, so much fun. running wires etc... is a pain the butt as well.

09 f350 6.4 PSD:
-power steering pump
-rear main seal went
-egr replaced
-2 belt tensioners
-injector o rings replaced under recall

to many issues for only 47K on the clock, but overall i feel like its a much better built truck than our chevy's. its much easier to work on maintenance wise and upfitter wise. we have also had alot of problems with our dodge when we used to have that in the mid 90's.

and we just bought an 06 350 6.0psd earlier this year with 82K and a clean oasis and put 10K+ miles on it with no issues so far. its hit and miss.
point is they all have their fair share of problems, we just need to pick the lesser of 3 evils...

meets1
01-05-2011, 01:02 PM
I enjoy the post. I have siad b/f I have had all three and I am back to running 5 GMC trucks now.

My uncle service manager at a large ford dealer. My next door neighbor owns a dodge/ford dealership. My other neighbor owns a body shop/exhaust/mechainc business.

Now I have experience with the three and these guys work with two companies. The uncle manager says its terrible all the work they constantly do on 40-60K trucks. My neighbor is die hard dodge guy and thinks there still the best for the money (which maybe he is right) says the same - alot of poor design under the hood but yet very clever marketing on Ford's part. My body shop owner says all his guys would rather work on any chevy product or foriegn car in a heart beat b/c everything stays constant. 1/2 inch is always a 1/2 nut. He said same make and model truck will have a 12 metric and then go back to 1/2 nut. He doens't get it.

everything has issues but so far with our chevy line I have been very pleased. A friend of mine just got a new 2011 crew cab dually ford. Sticker was $71K. He is in construction but has every option available to man on that truck.

So yes where does price end? Having said that look at houses that are worth 20 - 50 % of there current value? My area that I live in most homes are in the 100 - 200K range. I know people with more car payments than they have on a house payment. Sure stupid but............

fireman9
01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
everything has issues but so far with our chevy line I have been very pleased. A friend of mine just got a new 2011 crew cab dually ford. Sticker was $71K. He is in construction but has every option available to man on that truck.

So yes where does price end? Having said that look at houses that are worth 20 - 50 % of there current value? My area that I live in most homes are in the 100 - 200K range. I know people with more car payments than they have on a house payment. Sure stupid but............

I bought my house back in 1996 and only paid $71,200, yeah its kind of small 2 bedroom 1 bath but I've got lots of land and am surrounded by a state park. No new neighbors building anywhere close.

supercuts
01-05-2011, 09:45 PM
picked up my truck today. ford said alot of smoke is perfectly normal for these trucks, could not find were my leaks were comming from using dye, couldnt find any codes for the wrench, abs, and air bag lights going off, didnt have the fuel filters in stock to change, and couldnt program my new tire/wheel air sensors because they were unable to get a signal/communicate with computer! on a positive note it didnt cost me anything in repairs because there were none.

01-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Still nothing from my Guy, But he said he reprogrammed it and it is better than it was!??? On a better note I got out 4 rotten plugs that broke off in my 95 F-350 w/460 motor!!! I beat the ford curse of the plugs! Now I gotta get the plugs outa one of my 03 F-350 5.4's. Its got 90,000 miles on it. I use my sons football coach in town to fix my bigger problems,he's slow and doesn't respond well,but cheap!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

Swampy
01-06-2011, 05:49 AM
picked up my truck today. ford said alot of smoke is perfectly normal for these trucks, could not find were my leaks were comming from using dye, couldnt find any codes for the wrench, abs, and air bag lights going off, didnt have the fuel filters in stock to change, and couldnt program my new tire/wheel air sensors because they were unable to get a signal/communicate with computer! on a positive note it didnt cost me anything in repairs because there were none.

Wow thats kind of shady. Thats why I buy old lol.

AI Inc
01-06-2011, 07:58 AM

Screw dealers , find an honest competant indy.

supercuts
01-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Screw dealers , find an honest competant indy.

the reason im paying $636 a month is for a nice new reliable truck. purchasing it i new it was going to cost alot but it was piece of mind that if something broke it has a warranty. i still have 3years of payments left, i shouldnt hvae to shell out $90/hr for repairs to some independant shop when it is still under warranty.

AI Inc
01-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Gotcha, can warrenty work be done at a different dealer?

01-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Ohhhh yes it can. We used to go to Loehmans in WTBY (bought 4 vechles from 02-08=200,000.00) very poor response time in the service dept and the owner is nowhere to b found!!! So we now do all our warranty work with Richards in Cheshire(past 2 yrs)awesome clean roomy place with the service dept ready for anything! So yes you can switch! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

ProTouch Groundscapes
01-06-2011, 11:02 AM
definitely go to another dealer, alot of smoke IS NOT NORMAL for these trucks, other than some steam/condensation you see on cold mornings these things are supposed to not put out little to no visible smoke.

i had a crappy dealer and go to another now. Ive been told "if the light aint on now then we cant do anything" enough now, so I wont even bother taking it in if nothing is lit up on the dash anymore. and the not being able to program the sensors is a sign of laziness/incompetence on their part.

i feel that a large part of the bad rep that ford gets is due in part to awful dealership service depts.

supercuts
01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Gotcha, can warrenty work be done at a different dealer?

ive been to them all.....they are all the same and some even talk bad about eachother

01-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Ok truck is running at 60% right now. Another code came up Injector control module or something. 500$!parts. Labor??? I'll let ya know BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

Deori
01-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I was always a die hard Ford man till they came out with the 4.6 triton motors, then all bets were off. Never seen such junk forced on customers in my life.

As far as anyone that's had a spark plug shoot out of their Ford and it usually breaks the coil too... Well its comforting to know that there is only 3 to 5 threads holding in the plug in the first place. Why design a spark plug with an inch plus reach that's threaded all the way to only use 3 to 5 threads to hold it in an aluminum head in the first place?

Hey Fireman,
I may be shopping for a new truck pretty soon and can you please clarify something for me? Don't the 3 valve 5.4s have the same problem as the 4.6 in regards to spark plugs breaking off in the head when you try to change them? And randomly spitting them out? I was under the impression that the 2 valve 5.4s generally don't have this problem, but the 3 valves do?
Thanks! Fords... it's a love/hate thing :)

Swampy
01-08-2011, 06:28 AM

I'm no mechanic but when a 7.3L puffed alot of white smoke it was injectors. Being your's is a International I would assume it's the same thing.

supercuts
01-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm no mechanic but when a 7.3L puffed alot of white smoke it was injectors. Being your's is a International I would assume it's the same thing.

completely different engines. my abs lights was on AGAIN all night plowing last night, must have a leak in my vac line because i lost 4wd until i manually locked the hubs, and it went into regen twice while plowing. im sure there wont be any codes found for my abs again until my powertrain warranty is up. im not even sure if this would be covered anyway

Marek
01-08-2011, 11:57 AM
The 4x4 problem is well known by ford. One day mine will go in and the next it wont. Had it to the shop several times for this one too.

LCPullman
01-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Hey Fireman,
I may be shopping for a new truck pretty soon and can you please clarify something for me? Don't the 3 valve 5.4s have the same problem as the 4.6 in regards to spark plugs breaking off in the head when you try to change them? And randomly spitting them out? I was under the impression that the 2 valve 5.4s generally don't have this problem, but the 3 valves do?
Thanks! Fords... it's a love/hate thing :)

The original 2-valve 5.4 had problems with spitting the spark plugs out.
In 04 they fixed that and the engines then had problems with the lower part of the plug getting stuck in the head.
Then in 08 they fixed the getting stuck problem by switching to a normal one piece spark plug. So far I haven't heard of any 08 and newer spark plug problems.
I'm not totally sure when the 3 valves came in, I think it was 04 or 05

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _______________________

Seems like people from each brand are all complaining about how bad their trucks are. So I'm not sure switching brands necessarily helps that much.

Deori
01-09-2011, 12:53 AM
So initially, they had a problem with them spitting the plugs out and fixed it by making sure the plugs wouldn't come out even when you wanted them to!
Lol, thanks for clarifying LCPullman!

I've read over on f150online where guys are afraid to change their own plugs on these engines because they know that some will break off and the dealership wants to bend them over for like $600 to do it for them. $600 to change like $40 worth of plugs! After reading all the complaints there and here about Ford's service departments, I'm beginning to agree that that's definitely a part of where their bad rap is coming from. Well, that and $60,000 trucks having all these problems in the first year or two...

I've got the little basic tech 4.2 in my F150 and while it doesn't have any grunt to speak of, that little motor just runs and runs problem free. I've got 163K trouble free miles on my '01, I've owned it since it only had 15K. Used it all along for hauling and towing too. Just wish it had some balls, but slow and steady I guess...

Sorry to jack the thread from all the diesel talk.

The original 2-valve 5.4 had problems with spitting the spark plugs out.
In 04 they fixed that and the engines then had problems with the lower part of the plug getting stuck in the head.
Then in 08 they fixed the getting stuck problem by switching to a normal one piece spark plug. So far I haven't heard of any 08 and newer spark plug problems.
I'm not totally sure when the 3 valves came in, I think it was 04 or 05

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _______________________

Seems like people from each brand are all complaining about how bad their trucks are. So I'm not sure switching brands necessarily helps that much.

01-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Ok its now running at or around 85-90%. It now is saying that #7 injector is bad low voltage(another 300 and 200 labor). Mabey then it won't skip and run as bad. It now starts right up though! B4 it was rough to start even being plugged in! Ok so oil change 3 fuel filters(frame changed twice due to sand in the front tank,#8 injector and the injector control module 950parts 650 labor. Not too bad right!!! Got it back at 330 as soon as the snow atarted! Phewwww that was too close to call. As soon as the 04 Chevy 2500HD went out I think the fuel pump went!!!And then Bam Drivers rear Brakeline goes!!! Time to trade her in! Gonna fix those problems an O2 sensor and the PCV problem 500$ and sell it with 7.5'plow ,65000 mi(few scratches on the bed,2 small Dings)Fisher Speedcast2 conveyer 1/2 yd sander 13,500.00 Anyone looking for a nice truck? BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device