PDA

View Full Version : formula for soil to raise beds???

GarPA
08-29-2002, 08:24 AM
Iv been told more than once that our formula for mulch application(like 1 yrd covers 115sqft 3" thick) is the same for soil...well I'm finding that I run out of soil with that formula...maybe I'm putting it on deeper than I think I am....any suggestions for a differrnt formula?....I always try to get the customer to raise the beds...looks so much better over time...thanks much

BRL
08-30-2002, 04:13 PM
Volume is volume so the formula should work if you are using volume measurements. A guess might be that the heavier weight of the top soil allows for more compaction versus the fluffing ability of mulch.

"maybe I'm putting it on deeper than I think I am"

Have you actually measured an exact yard of mulch to see how deep you are installing it? And checked that against an exact yard of top soil? If you don't know how deep your are installing them then your formulas probably won't ever work. If its a definite pattern then you can use your experience to adjust your estimates, based on how much material you used on those past jobs.

Lanelle
08-30-2002, 09:41 PM
Somehow it seems to me that not every truckload of topsoil is the same quantity. I know what the load ticket says, but the reality seems to vary from one supplier to the next. Also, soil is subject to shrinkage/swellage factors, so the 'fluffy' character of mulch does help it retain its volume.

dforbes
08-30-2002, 11:49 PM
well I've had a few margeritas and 3 or 4 beers, and I may not be thinking right. Don't want to p---- anyone of but I don't think formula is formula. A yard of topsoil is not the same as a yard of mulch. Sitting at the house now and don't have my referance material but if you want to remind me, like an e-mail or pm i will look it up for you. Working tomorow but not in the office. I could get you an answer tuesday. Please no one take offense to this. I could be wrong but I don't think so. My mind is not working perfect right now.
Dennis

tailoredlook
08-31-2002, 02:42 PM
this works for me. length x width x inches applied divided by 324. 324 cu. in. in cubic yard.