PDA

View Full Version : Ordered Z-Spray

robertsturf
12-29-2010, 01:40 PM
After alot of research, demoing and getting a lot of advise both pro and con we decided to order a Indermediate Z-Spray. We ordered it with 100' of hose on the real and 1-7 gal aux tank. I am also having them make holes in the platform area to bolt my bracket for the tow-behind aerator I use. They are also going to mount the toggle switch on the dash-board area for a clean look. I must say dealing with Andy and the others at their company has been a pleasure and am looking forward to picking it up. We are going to meet them in Des Moine, Iowa the week of the 11th to save the shipping charge. I hope they will post pictures as it is built. I will be sure and post more pics when I pick it up. As a side note I will be selling my Perma Green once this one is in service. We did demo 2 different models of the Z and the T and decided for our purposes the Z is better. I am not saying the T doesn't have it's place just not for us.

indyturf
12-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Very good people and products at Z-spray. I Went in to talk to Andy a couple weeks ago. I didn't realize he use to live just a few house's down from me, and I use to work with Tom back in the early 80s at a LCO that got bought out by TG. I can't decide if I want the junior 36 or the intermediate. the" Z factory" is less than 15 miles from my house!

robertsturf
12-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Very good people and products at Z-spray. I Went in to talk to Andy a couple weeks ago. I didn't realize he use to live just a few house's down from me, and I use to work with Tom back in the early 80s at a LCO that got bought out by TG. I can't decide if I want the junior 36 or the intermediate. the" Z factory" is less than 15 miles from my house!

If you are in the market for a smaller unit the Jr is fine, it just doesn't hold the hills as well. The width of the Intermediate is what was the deciding factor and how much product it holds overall. 200 dry and 18gal liquid. A big upgrade from our Perma. Either way they are great machines!

ted putnam
12-29-2010, 04:07 PM
robertsturf, I'd sure like to see apicture of your Z and how you rig up that tow behind aerator as soon as you are able to show them. I've thought about trying to do the same thing with my Jr. but was unsure about how to go about it or how well it would work with a zero turn pulling it. This would be something I have never attempted. Anyway, I'd sure like to see some pics when you can show them.

grassman177
12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
congrats, i knew it would not be long after checking ours out that you would be buying one. tax credits??!!!

robertsturf
12-29-2010, 05:34 PM
congrats, i knew it would not be long after checking ours out that you would be buying one. tax credits??!!!

That is one idea!!!

a plus bob
12-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Curious about the aerator hook up cant wait to see pictures !! Congrats you will love it.Make sure to get the flood nozzle also.

Service 1st Lawn Care
12-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Congrats on your purchase of the BEST machine for your situation. Z's are awesome :clapping:

sprayboy
12-29-2010, 07:48 PM
I've thought about pulling an aerator but never went any farther with the idea.
I am curious how this will work also.
I was always worried about stepping off the machine and getting ran over by the aerator....but wait.....the Z will stop on its own when you release the controls.

a plus bob
12-29-2010, 07:54 PM
I was always worried about stepping off the machine and getting ran over by the aerator....but wait.....the Z will stop on its own when you release the controls.

Same here. But like you said I think it will stop fast with the tines in the ground.Cant wait for pictures.

robertsturf
12-29-2010, 07:57 PM
They will be posted once I am able to mock it up. Hey Bob we met at the GIE expo. I am Buddy Rogers friend.

robertsturf
12-29-2010, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=robertsturf;3839204]They will be posted once I am able to mock it up. Hey Bob we met at the GIE expo. I am Buddy Rogers friend. I also asked the Z Spray guys if it would work and the assured me no problem. My aerator is a modified Trac Vac that used to go on the front of a ZTR.

a plus bob
12-29-2010, 08:01 PM
They will be posted once I am able to mock it up. Hey Bob we met at the GIE expo. I am Buddy Rogers friend.

I was thinking you would order one at GIE :) It was nice to meet you and Buddy.Maybe next year you can bring Ralph along.:laugh:

ted putnam
12-29-2010, 08:07 PM
I've thought about pulling an aerator but never went any farther with the idea.
I am curious how this will work also.

My concern was cornering because the machine turns on a dime. Will this cause the aerator to tear at the ground as the sharper than normal turn is made? Also, backing up. Will it be constant "jack knife" due to the turn capabilities of the Z? How long should the tongue/hitch be so this isn't a problem? I've thought about this a little and think seeing an example might help me take the next step.

Snowy66
12-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Nice purchase Trent! I pulled my aerator with mine this year. It was one of those pull behinds that you put cinder blocks on. You can't zero turn for sure! But it's cheaper than $8500 for the LS ride on. I pluged the yards then hit the corners with the walk behind.

grassman177
12-29-2010, 09:45 PM
:clapping:roberts wont have any issues using the aerator, he used it behind a wright stander before he sold it this fall. this guy is a pro

sprayboy
12-29-2010, 10:01 PM
My concern was cornering because the machine turns on a dime. Will this cause the aerator to tear at the ground as the sharper than normal turn is made? Also, backing up. Will it be constant "jack knife" due to the turn capabilities of the Z? How long should the tongue/hitch be so this isn't a problem? I've thought about this a little and think seeing an example might help me take the next step.

Wondered the same thing also. Make wider turns I guess.
I also thought of trying to mount one on the front with a hyd cylinder to raise and put pressure down with. With a max you could keep rear weight with the tanks full for traction and a little weight in the hopper if you need it.

Dunno, I only think about it, need to get off my lazy butt and try something.

indyturf
12-29-2010, 10:44 PM
I had a Z max I pulled a 48in lesco aerator with, it did a a great job. you just want to go in a circular motion with no sharp turns.

indyturf
12-29-2010, 10:54 PM
here's a pic............ might have been a 42in??

kmiller23
12-29-2010, 11:44 PM
I've got the same setup a indyturf. Been using it 4 years. It's quick and the spray hardly recognizes the weight it's pulling.
Posted via Mobile Device

indyturf
12-30-2010, 01:37 AM
I sold the Z and then the aerator... getting a new z this winter so I will probably be looking for an aerator too lol

grassman177
12-30-2010, 01:39 AM
i would rather pull like that than only walk behind a machine. it would get annoying though to be unproductive cause you are always watching out not to jackknife.

just a thought i had, is it true?

kmiller23
12-30-2010, 10:25 AM
No problems jacknifing. You do have to be careful backing up into corners as the knives do more damage going backwards. Overall it does a great job at a speed that knocks out the yards quick.

robertsturf
12-30-2010, 10:53 AM
My aerator has independent spinning tines and is mounted with a hitch system so you can turn very tight. We didn't order it at the Expo because we wanted to think it over a little. Then the tax man came a calling and it seemed like a no brainer, because we needed it anyway.

robertsturf
12-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Just got off the phone earlier with Tom Rich himself about our machine. They are installing a stainless hitch set up for me and the toggle switch will be pre-wired and installed for us. He also threw in an extra set of 1 gal tips at no charge. The cost for the hitch set-up was materials only, about $35. What awesome customer service.

ted putnam
12-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Just got off the phone earlier with Tom Rich himself about our machine. They are installing a stainless hitch set up for me and the toggle switch will be pre-wired and installed for us. He also threw in an extra set of 1 gal tips at no charge. The cost for the hitch set-up was materials only, about $35. What awesome customer service.

Now I am most definitely interested in the hitch setup and how it looks/works. I'm wondering if the guys at LT Rich might consider making another one for an individual such as myself or even making it an optional part for me and others guys as well. Dude, as soon as you can, I want to see pics!!!!

a plus bob
12-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Now I am most definitely interested in the hitch setup and how it looks/works. I'm wondering if the guys at LT Rich might consider making another one for an individual such as myself or even making it an optional part for me and others guys as well. Dude, as soon as you can, I want to see pics!!!!

Maybe Ray or Andy will see this and post some. I am very curious also lets see some pictures.:clapping:

MacLawnCo
12-30-2010, 10:33 PM
agreed. I just drilled a hole in the foot plate to put a pin in but would much rather have a hitch to pull the aerator

Falcon50EX
12-31-2010, 07:13 AM
After alot of research, demoing and getting a lot of advise both pro and con we decided to order a Indermediate Z-Spray. We ordered it with 100' of hose on the real and 1-7 gal aux tank. I am also having them make holes in the platform area to bolt my bracket for the tow-behind aerator I use. They are also going to mount the toggle switch on the dash-board area for a clean look. I must say dealing with Andy and the others at their company has been a pleasure and am looking forward to picking it up. We are going to meet them in Des Moine, Iowa the week of the 11th to save the shipping charge. I hope they will post pictures as it is built. I will be sure and post more pics when I pick it up. As a side note I will be selling my Perma Green once this one is in service. We did demo 2 different models of the Z and the T and decided for our purposes the Z is better. I am not saying the T doesn't have it's place just not for us.

I have the same set up but with out the hitch i may get one. I had lunch with Tom, what a down to earth guy like every one i have talked with at the company. This is my first time with a ride-on so problems are operator error. With out any fert in the hopper it is light on the front and will come right up if you start off to quick once again operator error.
How large of a nurse tank will you have?

robertsturf
12-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Nurse tank is my next order of business. I am thinking of building a 100 gal set up. I will just run water in it and fill as I need. I have to go treat some properties for ice and will post more later.

grassman177
12-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Nurse tank is my next order of business. I am thinking of building a 100 gal set up. I will just run water in it and fill as I need. I have to go treat some properties for ice and will post more later.

of course i dont know your needs trent, but i suggest mixing ahead of time to avoid spills and mixing on cutomers places , as it is frowned upon imo

turf hokie
12-31-2010, 09:05 PM
of course i dont know your needs trent, but i suggest mixing ahead of time to avoid spills and mixing on cutomers places , as it is frowned upon imo

we never pre-mix, our nurse tanks carry water only as well.

IMHO, pre-mixing only exposes yourself to a larger spill, larger cleanup, larger fine.

robertsturf
12-31-2010, 11:52 PM

The reason I don't want to pre-mix is we will use the tank for watering and fertilizing our flower installs. We do this several times a year for our commercial properties as it is a real revenue stream for us. Remember we don't have the same sq ft of customers as you do so our chemical requirements aren't the same... yet!

ted putnam
01-01-2011, 12:38 AM
The reason I don't want to pre-mix is we will use the tank for watering and fertilizing our flower installs. We do this several times a year for our commercial properties as it is a real revenue stream for us. Remember we don't have the same sq ft of customers as you do so our chemical requirements aren't the same... yet!

That's a good reason not to. When using my spray tank for a nurse for my Z I usually don't premix only because I am constantly mixing specialty chemicals necessary for that property at that time. It would not be cost effective for me most of the time. However, there are certain periods of time where almost every lawn is going to need 3-way, let's say. During those times, I will pre-mix. Much more convenient to pump and go. I use my tanks for spraying with hose and gun and carry 300 gals of pre-mix every day for 3 months in the spring. I have spill kits from westheffer that haven't seen the light of day in almost 10 yrs. However, I am the type that is always looking my equipment over for leaks. Pre-mixing is not a major concern for me other than a major vehicle accident or catastrophic tank failure. If proper care is taken, these are no more likely to happen than being struck by lightning IMHO.

phasthound
01-01-2011, 08:43 AM
we never pre-mix, our nurse tanks carry water only as well.

IMHO, pre-mixing only exposes yourself to a larger spill, larger cleanup, larger fine.

That's a very good point. In the mid 80's I sent two spray rigs each with a 1,000 tank to spray trees at a golf course. Upon arrival, one of them drove on a soft shoulder next to a stream and laid over on it's side emptying the tank into the stream. I'm very thankful that the crew had followed my instructions and had not added the pesticide yet.

grassman177
01-01-2011, 12:06 PM

cool, that is why i posted it about not knowing your needs, but that makes perfect sense.

i have wondered about offering watering for plantings but nevert done it. maybe i should think more about it.

grassman177
01-01-2011, 12:10 PM
That's a very good point. In the mid 80's I sent two spray rigs each with a 1,000 tank to spray trees at a golf course. Upon arrival, one of them drove on a soft shoulder next to a stream and laid over on it's side emptying the tank into the stream. I'm very thankful that the crew had followed my instructions and had not added the pesticide yet.

no joke, wow!!!!!!

we premix in a nurse tank as i use several tanks worth in one day while out.

it is a volume thing for us, when blanket spraying only, i can treat over 1 million ftsq in one day hence the need to not have to mix all the time.

with the three different zsprays, and two of them having three diff tanks, i can pre mix all sorts of diff concoctions for the days needs, and i also do some small amount of mixing carrying chems with me during the day, depending on what i do.

options, that is the way to operate:clapping:

turf hokie
01-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Wow, I wasnt thinking along those lines or a car accident. I was thinking more along the lines of a blown hose or fitting gone bad. We have had that happen in the past, they are hard enough to fix with water only. nothing like having an elbow under the tank give way and dump 150 gallons out before you realized....

robertsturf
01-01-2011, 01:32 PM
In the early 80's i worked for a company called Evergreen Lawns here in KC. At the time we serviced 26,000 customers and ran 26 1000gal trucks. Of course we sprayed every lawn every time. We had alot of turn over and many issues with unsafe drivers. We had several roll-overs with disasterous results. BTW with our watering service with also apply Miracle Grow and weed the beds. All at the same time.

rcreech
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM
In the early 80's i worked for a company called Evergreen Lawns here in KC. At the time we serviced 26,000 customers and ran 26 1000gal trucks. Of course we sprayed every lawn every time. We had alot of turn over and many issues with unsafe drivers. We had several roll-overs with disasterous results. BTW with our watering service with also apply Miracle Grow and weed the beds. All at the same time.

WOW

That is 1000 customers per truck!

That is amazing!

I agree that premixing is not good for me as for all the reasons discussed on here.

americanlawn
01-01-2011, 04:50 PM
The most accounts per route (truck) I ever saw was just over 500. This was when ChemLawn was the "only game in town" during the late 70's & early 80's. Example: Richardson, TX -- 35% of homeowners used ChemLawn in that Dallas suburb. The rest did nothing or did it themselves. 1000 lawns/truck seems kinda high. :confused:

robertsturf
01-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Larry, our average route size was 7-800 customers. We did it easily, sometimes we ran 2 man trucks with 2 reels. We had a lot of 2-4 house pulls in those days ( spraying 2-4 houses without moving the truck). Each reel had 300' of that weird stiff poly hose on it and the 2 man trucks had the 4 piston Bean pto driven pumps. Oh those were the days. 12hr days and 70 hr weeks, minimum! Having a production meeting every am at 6:00 going over the totals from the previous day. Put a lot of pressure on everyone. BTW are you going to the Des Moines show in Jan? I am going to be there to pick up my machine. I love to say hi if you are.

robertsturf
01-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Check out the pictures of the Perma Green Ultra this is replacing on the Equipment Marketplace section we are selling it and the rack!

RodneyK
01-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Just double checking on something that I thought might be a concern...

I know Zs are beasts, I have an 09 Intermediate. Should I (we) be concerned about damaging the hydros by pulling an aerator? Did the LT Rich guys have any concerns or disclaimers when you were asking for the hitch?

If an aerator is ok would a small trailer holding two large wheelbarrows of mulch be ok then also? That would be nice for some out of the way places.

robertsturf
01-02-2011, 10:01 PM
I spoke with Tom and Andy at the GIE about that issue and they said it would not be an issue. My aerator is not that heavy and it is not pulled all the time. I pulled the same aerator with my Wright Stander for 3 yrs with no problems at all.

Snowy66
01-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Don't they use a zspray to pull their truck and trailer loaded with zsprays in a video? That's what I based my decision to pull my tow behind aerator on.

robertsturf
01-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Yes they did and that is what they mentioned when I asked. You only aerate for a short period of time each year so its not a problem.

Rayholio
01-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Congrats my friend! The day that 1st ride on arrives is a very exciting one!

robertsturf
01-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks Ray, but this is actually my second. My first was the Perma Ultra that I am selling also.

Rayholio
01-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Well... the 2nd is party exciting too! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

indyturf
01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Getting ready to order #12 and I'm excited!!!

robertsturf
01-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Yes it is. This is my first new one and it's from a great company with a good track record. Hopefully they will post some pictures from the assembly!!

a plus bob
01-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Yes it is. This is my first new one and it's from a great company with a good track record. Hopefully they will post some pictures from the assembly!!

Hey Trent I am going to Lt Rich tomorrow maybe I can sneak a picture of your machine :laugh:

br549oicu8
01-04-2011, 05:48 PM
PM the pic to me first, Bob!! That Trent guy snuck in and saw our new Toros before we did!! LOL!!!

robertsturf
01-04-2011, 07:12 PM
PM the pic to me first, Bob!! That Trent guy snuck in and saw our new Toros before we did!! LOL!!!

I also saw your new Wright that you bought last year too. Doug even let me drive it around. Bob that would be great if they have started it. It is supposed to be done by sometime next week and I'm not sure what length of time it takes to machine and assemble them.

ted putnam
01-04-2011, 08:08 PM
I called yesterday afternoon late for parts and talked to Ray and they were doing inventory.

grassman177
01-04-2011, 11:01 PM
then we should be able to drive yours around too?

robertsturf
01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Sure!! Help your self, just no wheelies!!!

a plus bob
01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Sure!! Help your self, just no wheelies!!!

I played Frisbee with the Z spray guys in the parking lot on your new machine Trent:laugh: Just kidding. I was in and out quick. They where pretty busy. Andy was at a show. Ray was busy on the phones and every body else was busy turning out machines. No pics from me sorry!

robertsturf
01-05-2011, 07:46 PM
That's ok! Im sure I will see it soon enough!

ZSpray Info
01-06-2011, 11:33 AM
We will actually be starting to build you unit today. It should be completed around Tuesday/Wednesday of next week. I will post some pics.

robertsturf
01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Sounds great, can't wait!!!

ZSpray Info
01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Sorry it took so long, but here are some pics:

indyturf
01-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I saw that when I was there last week. had them add the hitch to my new Jr36 to.

br549oicu8
01-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Cool beans!!!!!

robertsturf
01-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Looks great very professional, just what I expected!! Can't wait to see it in person tomorrow!!

grassman177
01-17-2011, 09:02 PM
that will be great, nice adaptation for the hitch. very clean and simple.

far too often, designers make things way too complicated

ted putnam
01-17-2011, 10:43 PM
that will be great, nice adaptation for the hitch. very clean and simple.

far too often, designers make things way too complicated

True. Unfortunately it doesn't look like an add-on unless ordered from the factory when being built:cry:

robertsturf
01-17-2011, 11:34 PM
It is also pre-wired with a switch to operate the actuator that raises and lowers the tines on the aerator. Nice job!! Will post pics when I get it tomorrow!

grassman177
01-18-2011, 12:28 AM
that part is sweet. will this then have the new sheild? it looks like it from what the picture did not cut off of the controls. i was hoping to get one to see how it was. i am sure it is nothing but awesome.