PDA

View Full Version : New Isuzu dump

Evan528
12-29-2010, 11:35 PM
After searching for over a year, I finally found the truck I was looking for. Plenty of Isuzu dumps around but very rare to find a crew cab in my area. Got this truck with less than 40,000 miles at a great price.

Are they truly as reliable as people say? Any common problems to keep an eye out for?

I would appreciate any advice and experience if you have a similar NPR.

Gravel Rat
12-30-2010, 12:52 AM
That is a rare truck the crew cab versions are not overly common. The Isuzu trucks go for ever, the body will rust/rot off before the truck ever thinks of dying. If the truck has the exhaust brake use it they work really well on the Isuzu diesels.

Evan528
12-30-2010, 01:05 AM
This truck does have the exhaust brake although I dont even know how to use it yet. I bought this truck from a "car" dealership that has no experience in dealing with larger trucks. They're knowlege of this truck was pretty close to zero which is why I got the deal I did on it.

The body on it is the composite material so I wont have to worry about rust. Its supposidly 800LBS lighter then a comparable steel body= more payload.

I need to see if I can track down a manual for this truck. I dont even know where to start in terms of maintenance intervals....etc.....

Gravel Rat
12-30-2010, 01:13 AM
I would take it to a Isuzu truck dealer have them do a service on it, adjust the brakes etc. They can get you a owners/operating manual for it.

As I mentioned the exhaust brake works really well on the Isuzu diesels, the guys that used to run the GM version of the Isuzu trucks very rarely stepped on the brake pedal.

Tires is the biggest issue make sure you buy the best RIB tire you can get these trucks are tough on tires, the trucks pack a h*ll of a load more than what the gvw says :laugh:

geeman
12-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Looks like that's an '07. I have an '07 NQR, basically same truck with a higher gvwr, with a stainless steel dump body, bought it new. Never had a problem, exhaust brake works well, has enough power. A little sluggish when fully loaded and pulling my 7000# trailer, otherwise great truck, you'll love it.

fl-landscapes
12-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Ive got an npr dump without the crew cab. I love it, very dependable but as stated already a little sluggish when pulling a heavy load. Thats an awesome truck and I think your gonna be happy with it.

Evan528
12-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Looks like that's an '07. I have an '07 NQR, basically same truck with a higher gvwr, with a stainless steel dump body, bought it new. Never had a problem, exhaust brake works well, has enough power. A little sluggish when fully loaded and pulling my 7000# trailer, otherwise great truck, you'll love it.

Can you give me a brief run down on how to use the exhuast brake? I dont even know where the controls are.

fl-landscapes
12-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Can you give me a brief run down on how to use the exhuast brake? I dont even know where the controls are.

I believe your control is on the left of the steering wheel, pull it back towards you (windshield wiper control?) and you will see a symbol light up on the dash for the exhaust break. The exhaust break stops the exhaust fumes from escaping the enging and slows the engine down and causes reverse torque and helps the stopping power of the truck

geeman
12-30-2010, 03:43 PM
FL-Landscapes is correct. Just pull the wiper control lever on the steering column forward to activate the exhaust brake. You should see a symbol light up on the top of your dash.

Gravel Rat
12-30-2010, 04:11 PM
The Isuzu trucks were never ment to win speed races they can pack a good payload reliably. I have seen a GMC/Isuzu W4500 carry some extreme weight like 6 tons some loads were heavier.

The biggest problem with Isuzu trucks around here was road salt and rust the cabs would rust to pieces the engines and driveline would have 400,000 kilometers (249,000 miles) on it and the cab is rusted right off the truck.

Evan528
12-30-2010, 05:45 PM
The Isuzu trucks were never ment to win speed races they can pack a good payload reliably. I have seen a GMC/Isuzu W4500 carry some extreme weight like 6 tons some loads were heavier.

The biggest problem with Isuzu trucks around here was road salt and rust the cabs would rust to pieces the engines and driveline would have 400,000 kilometers (249,000 miles) on it and the cab is rusted right off the truck.

Thanks guys... I will give it a try.

Thats why I was searching so long for an isuzu. The Ford f-450 is nice but just to many issues with the diesel engines that I dont want to deal with. Also the fuel tank delaminating problem so many complain about.

I have yet to find an isuzu owner who has anything but good things to say about their reliability..... thats huge to me.

Another question maybe someone can hep me with. What is the purpose of the knob next to the steering wheel with the "choke" symbol. It seems to contol the idle RPMS. Is it just for warming up the truck in the morning
?

geeman
12-30-2010, 11:53 PM
That knob is the idle control. I use it on cold mornings to warm up the engine. Even though I have the single cab, crew cabs are not that uncommon around here. Good luck with the truck, I know you won't regret it, it's a great truck whether you got it for a bargain or not. One other thing, I hope you don't have high expectations for fuel mileage, it's not that great. But I don't buy trucks for gas mileage, I buy them for doing a job.

Evan528
12-31-2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the advice. If I get 8 or 9 MPG I am fine with that as long as the truck does what I need it to do. I am lucky that most of my accounts are in a 2-3 mile radius.

mmacsek
12-31-2010, 08:50 AM
I have a 99 NQR and the exhaust brake is on the right side of the steering wheel. Pull it towards you like you would for the high beams and a green lighted symbol comes on,the dash. The salesman told me,take that for what it's worth,the idle speed control is step the engine speed up if you have a hydraulic hoist that isn't electric. I have never used it because I had the electric hoist and body transferred from my old truck. The truck gets about 10mpg towing my 18'enclosed trailer and 11-12 mpg not towing. I had/have a few electrical problems but noting major. My biggest problem is finding a trustworthy shop. The dealer in the area is not impressive. I don't know where in Mont. county you are located but if you find a GOOD shop, let me know. Our shop is in the Quakertown area. Good luck with the truck. Matt

Evan528
01-03-2011, 04:45 PM
I tried the exhuast brake today. It really SLOWS the truck down! This should help tremendously when carrying a full load of mulch.

Macsek, I am taking the truck this week to be serviced at Vechiones in Oreland. I will let you know what my experience is. They handle maintenance and repairs of a lot of the local municipal trucks.

I have also heard good things about Fazekas and Greco in Colmar for heavy truck repair.

I live in Montgomeryville about 25 minutes south of quakertown.

JSMLAWNCARE
01-03-2011, 07:28 PM
I just purchased a 95 isuzu npr box truck. It has 172k on it. I picked it up for less than a I could buy a Ford Ranger. I have had it for a few months. I mainly use it for those days I need an extra truck. I have been wondering what that green light was. I have never turned it on while driving. I can't wait until tomorrow to see if it works. It is currently a box truck. I'm still not sure what to do yet. I was thinking of a switch n go system. However, I'm not sure I want to pay that much for the bed system, since the truck was so cheap.

J. Peterson Grading
01-03-2011, 07:36 PM
On both my NPRs, we have had lots of trouble with the kingpins freezing up. Make sure to keep them greased on yours, because its a pain the get them "Thawed"

J.

Evan528
01-04-2011, 01:23 AM
What is a kingpin?

Swampy
01-05-2011, 05:23 AM
What is a kingpin?

Instead of upper and lower ball joints in the front suspension it's just a pin, very simple. If you take off a front tire you'll see them.

Evan528
01-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Funny that you guys mention the kingpins. Just got a call from the shop where my new isuzu is being serviced. They mentioned that the kingpins are freezing up. They are trying to free them up and grease them well instead of replacing.

I drove the truck 50 miles home from the dealer and didnt noticed anything wrong with the streering. The mechanic said the truck should be steering alot easer than it is.

Shows how much I know....... These cab forward trucks are really a different breed.....

Evan528
02-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Turns out the king pins will need to be replaced as they just arent as free as they should be. The Isuzu dealer quoted me $150 for the parts and 8-10 hours on the labor. Supposidly they are not so easy to get to because the cab does not flip forward.

$1000-1200 dollars seems like a lot of money for this. Anyone else had this done?

outlaw1960
02-08-2011, 06:11 PM
I do this repair on a regular basis on class 8 trucks. It is a physical, dirty nasty job. The price may seem high until you do one yourself. Have them check the spring bushings also.....

South Florida Lawns
02-09-2011, 08:19 PM
I just sold that exact same truck only mine was newer and an NQR. Crew cabs are everywhere down here in FLA.

Evan528
02-09-2011, 10:22 PM
South Florida, Why did you sell it? How much did you get if you dont mind me asking?

The only other isuzu NPR crew cab (with low miles) within a 200 mile radius of me was almost $10,000 more.

I am not sure why so many people around here prefer reg cab trucks. No room for things in the cab not to mention how much i hate squeezing 3 people across a bench seat on a 95 degree day!

lawn king
02-10-2011, 09:12 AM
The weak link on the isuzus is the exposed wiring. I know this first hand as im about to strart my 9th season with my npr. They are the balls as far as worktrucks go! Keep that wiring harness coated in grease or fluid film! Take notice of the area down near the steering coulomb liinkage, very bad exposure there!

straightlineland
07-19-2011, 11:34 PM
I have 2 chevy w4500 with 6.0liter gas engines. Love the power, love the trucks, awesome to plow with...electrical nightmare. blows fuses for radio, lights, etc.

chevy dealer tells me there is a wiring junction box, have had to have back lights re-wired a handful of times.

Az Gardener
07-19-2011, 11:57 PM
$1000-1200 dollars seems like a lot of money for this. Anyone else had this done?

They are great trucks but you need to realize you are in the big boy league with these things, seems like every time it goes into the shop its at least 1-k fortunately it doesn't happen too much. One crew had a flat today on the way in and the road service took about an hour to get there and swapped the front flat with a rear tire that was 200 bucks the off to the tire shop just before they closed and 400 for a couple of new tires. 6 hours of wasted labor I figure it was about a 1-k flat when it was all said and done.

They are very easy to do maint on with the flip top. I don't know if the crews flip I just have reg cabs.

ecurbthims
07-20-2011, 04:38 AM
sounds to me like your dealer was a little slow in the shop lately .40,000 miles is way low for replacing kingpins [likely they are not even broken in yet ]on a commercial truck ,and if they are not worn out they could be free'd up easy enough .If the kingpins really were in bad shape ,how did the truck pass its inspection when you bought it ? Did you go back to the inspection station and ask them about it or was this dealer visit the inspection ? There might be warranty on the pins as well,your mileage is really low not sure about the time , but I honestly have never had an isuzu in my shop as theres none of these trucks for hundreds of miles from me .