PDA

View Full Version : Mulch pricing question

jhouchins
12-30-2010, 09:29 PM
I have heard a lot of people say they charge around $50-$75 to spread 1 yard of mulch. Do you charge seperate for the mulch or include the material cost in the spreading price?

Also, do you charge a delivery fee?

Any other ways to bill with mulch would be good to hear as well.

Thanks guys

HPSInc
12-31-2010, 01:11 AM
if you type in the search "mulch pricing" you will find a couple threads with this discussed in depth already.

ctvalley
12-31-2010, 03:12 AM
The best advice I have read on this and other sites:

"Figure your costs and then figure how much you want to make profit on top of that."

Just my two cents, if you are a legit business and are spreading quality mulch, you need to be near the 75.00 pricing.

jhouchins
12-31-2010, 07:18 AM
if you type in the search "mulch pricing" you will find a couple threads with this discussed in depth already.

Thanks. Lots of good stuff on there.

So if you charge $75 per yard installed, does that include the price of the mulch also?

johnnybow
12-31-2010, 08:45 AM
i think so

Turf Dawg
12-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Not all my jobs are priced the same , but I would say my average would be close to 70 a yard. And yes that does include delivery and mulch. I say average because if a place needs 10-15 yards it is going to be cheaper than a place that needs 5 yards of colored mulch.

MR-G
12-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks. Lots of good stuff on there.

So if you charge $75 per yard installed, does that include the price of the mulch also?Yes it does:usflag:

ctvalley
12-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Yes, unless you are paying 40-45 per yard of hemlock mulch

jhouchins
12-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks fellas. This place makes me look like a seasoned vet to my customers once I run it by you guys. LOL

Seriously I appreciate every comment on here.

Patriot Services
01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Don't give your customers a breakdown on the price. They will argue the price of the supplies or the labor charge is too high. To the customer " it will cost x amount to do this job"
Posted via Mobile Device

cdqat1432
01-01-2011, 11:46 PM
The first thing I do when signing a mulch job is to go spray for weeds. You absolutely have to kill weeds before you pull them or you might as well not pull them at all. Then I charge for the mulch, delivery, labor to edge, weed and spread mulch, a disposal fee for the edging (cuz your day is not over when you leave) and I include preemergent in the price. If you dont do the weed control then make sure that you specifically tell them that they are not getting charged, as they will call you when the weeds come up in a week demanding that you come back. Landscape weed control is hands down the most effective labor saver that I can suggest. HIDE THE MONEY IN THE PRICE AND THEN DO IT. If they ask why so high, then sell it to them. I can usually get $75.00 for a ten yard job. Not bad money for 30 minutes of work and maybe 20 in material. You will be the hero and they will never go anywhere else.

LB1234
01-02-2011, 12:05 PM
We try really hard not to seperate materials costs and labor costs. We try and charge by the job...or in this case...by the yard installed which covers EVERYTHING...delivery, materials, labor.

The two main reasons for doing this is (1) sales tax collecting. In the state of NJ if I seperate materials and labor I would tax the labor BUT, the materials gets tricky. I can only collect sales tax on the markup of the material since I already paid the sales tax at the supplier for the material. (we pay our sales tax on EVERYTHING that way we don't have to worry when uncle same comes a knockin). I'm not allowed to collect sales tax on the sales tax I already paid. Which sorta leads to the next point (2). For the most part I do not want the customers to know what I pay for my materials. For some, not all, if they see I'm paying 15 a yard and charging 75 per yard they are going to scratch there heads and get there panties in a bunch over me making so much money...which we do, its our highest profitable service. However, if I lump the matrials into a single job cost I can legally collect the sales tax on the whole amount and not have to worry about (a) the customer and (b) the bookkeeping.

jhouchins
01-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys this has been a very helpful thread.

LB1234
01-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I can usually get $75.00 for a ten yard job. Not bad money for 30 minutes of work and maybe 20 in material. .

please explain:confused::confused::confused:

JNyz
01-05-2011, 12:34 PM
I think he means per yard. Thirty minutes labor and twenty in materal.

HappyGrassLLC
01-05-2011, 02:00 PM
I dont know what you northern guys are paying (wholesale) per cubic yard, but if it's near what we pay here in FL ($20-ish), you guys are my heros !!!!! Thumbs Up $75 per yard installed is AWESOME!!! Down here (at least in my area) we are LUCKY to get a customer to pay $45 per yard, installed, without too much moaning and nagging. I would kill to make $50 for every yard of mulch!

TScapes
01-05-2011, 02:21 PM
jhouchins-

Not sure exactly where you are or who you get your mulch from, or for that matter the color/quality of mulch you are putting out. IMHO, the mulch from Forest Products (KY) is the best quality around the Knoxville area. JD sells it and a couple others. Patterson's is another distributor out of KY that provides a lot of the nurseries here too. Theirs is just as good of quality as Forest Products. The basic thing that everyone is saying is.... get as much as you can for your services. If you can get $75 here.... GOOD LUCK!! I do commercial and high volume, so I can't charge that much. Residentials are more in line with $55-65 in our market. Basic rule is to take your costs and add your labor rate. Ex: $18/yd with taxes + travel + labor = $55-65. Just an example. Explain to your customers that the colored mulch is more expensive and will cost them more. Don't just have a set price per yard. Every yard is different (slope of terrain, distance covered, prep work, etc.). Also give them an additional bid for extra services while you are there. Upsales are always high profit because you are already on site. (Enhancements, ponds, cleanups, pruning, etc.)

ctvalley
01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
up here for quality mulch 40-45.00

WheatBookkeeping
04-14-2011, 05:46 PM
I would just say make sure your bookkeeper gets the details needed to record the mulch application. That way your records will show materials cost and labor cost, incidental costs and your revenue accurately.

CTmower
04-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Triple ground pine costs me $18/per yd
Hemlock and Dyed Cedar cost me $30/yd
Pine is $75 install
Hemlock/Cedar is $89
$.75 per ft for edging
$20 delivery fee
$50 for bed edger rental (working on buying one but its tough to spend $2500 on a machine I might use 5-10 times a year)
fee for any Preen used

I have landed numerous jobs with that pricing, and have also been told Im too high. I do quality work and have never had a customer complain about quality.
It takes time to drive and pick up the mulch, it takes time to edge, and lastly it takes time to lay and spread all the mulch. Time=MONEY!!