PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on a 1996 Isuzu NPR 14' Bed 2' Dovetail

MowSavannah
12-31-2010, 12:28 AM
I found what seems to be a pretty good deal on a 1996 Isuzu NPR - Turbo Diesel. It has a 14' landscape bed (pic below) New Alternator, New Turbo, the transmission seems a bit off. It drives decent, but you have to let off te gas for it to shift sometimes. I am not a truck mechanic and am going to have it looked at but wanted to know if any of you have had experience with these and the transmissions? Thanksin advance for your expertise.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/CleanSavannah/AAPMNPR2.jpg

BShaffer
01-01-2011, 04:40 PM
mow savannah

I bought a 99', it only had 80K on it when I got it. The tranny seemed weak, and within 6 weeks she was in the shop getting rebuilt. It cost $2300, but now its much better. I credit that to engaging the dump bed incorrectly and bad drivers. I have used a company called BUSBEE truck parts. I think they are in S. carolina. They are great. Google them and give them a call.

MowSavannah
01-07-2011, 12:14 AM
WEll I went ahead and bought it. Logo'd it up and got it out working.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af196/savwash/Pooler-Burroughs-20110104-00097.jpg

knox gsl
01-07-2011, 12:21 AM
I just put 650 miles on an overloaded NPR today and holding gears seems to be normal for them. These trucks are great in town but they suck on the highway.

BShaffer
01-07-2011, 10:45 PM
She's a beaut ClarK!! Thats perfect two or three man crew, What did she run ya?

Im trying to find another, now.

MowSavannah
01-07-2011, 11:42 PM
I got it for a steal and a good thing. It was leaking some transmission fluid and as I said shifted funny, took it to one of the best shops/dealerships around (only big rigs and big trucks) where one of my college friends is the sales manager and is also the son in law of the owner. I was having all the fluid and filters changed, general service and DOT inspection and asked them to look at the banjo bolt that was leaking on the tranny. Turns out the previous owner had someone try to fix the leak, stripped the hole, tried to use a heli-coil and ended up messing up the tranny pretty good.

Fortunatly, my friend knows a guy who sells used isuzu stuff, I got a tranny and am having it installed for under a grand.

TimNNJ
01-08-2011, 11:20 AM
that looks great...im on the hunt for a 16' box...Savannah is a great place too by the way..was down there for st. patty's a while back..cheers

MowSavannah
01-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks....Savannah is great and St. Patty's day is a blast. There are deals to be had out there, good luck on the search for the Box truck.

Try www.SearchTempest.com It allows you to search all of craigslist at once.

ELS LLC
01-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Those trucks are great. I have a 96 npr exactly like yours and it is a huge asset to the company. It has the gas 350 but pulls very good mpg. Plus they turn on a dime and can haul alot. Good purchase.

TimNNJ
01-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks for telling me about that site..I found myself a f350 turbo powerstroke diesel...picked it up today..traded my f150 in for it...thanks for the site!!..

Thanks....Savannah is great and St. Patty's day is a blast. There are deals to be had out there, good luck on the search for the Box truck.

Try www.SearchTempest.com It allows you to search all of craigslist at once.

Lux Lawn
01-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Truck looks great, that logo and lettering really stands out. It should bring you in some business. I bought a Nissan dovetail truck last season, it really is great compared to pulling a trailer. I bought the cab & chassis and had them cut the wheels of my trailer and mount it.