PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping and snow plow truck?

newjerseylandscaping
12-31-2010, 12:53 AM
I have two questions,

1. Can you plow/ tow with a 150 or 1500 without destroying the truck?

2. WHat is the ultimate truck to plow with and also use for landscaping.

Im looking at a truck now and want to make sure it will work for me. THanks
NJ

xclusive
12-31-2010, 01:57 AM
I have two questions,

NJ

1. Yes you can plow with it but towing is going to depend on how heavy the load is.

2. Everyone is going to have there own opinion. I would prob say a 350 or 3500 diesel. I have a 350 gas and it tows/plows good but a diesel would be stronger. I just did not want to spend the extra money on diesel engine. My next dump truck will be a diesel though.

STIHL GUY
12-31-2010, 11:25 AM
it all depends on what kind of plowing you will be doing, how much snow you get and the size of the plow. a 1/2 ton truck will get the job done but you may find yourself replacing things more often if you do not take care of it.

SNAPPER MAN
12-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Where I live we don't get any snow so I cannot attest to whether a half ton would be sufficient. Towing i do know about. We use a f150 all the time and it can handle quite a load. Just make sure your trailer has electric brakes, that will make a world of difference. I personally think everyone should have a half ton in their fleet. New half tons can handle a lot more payload than older ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

TimNNJ
12-31-2010, 01:15 PM
I have a 150 I bought in 07 5.4 ..at the time I was using a 16' open..I have had an enclosed 16' for the last 3 seasons...it gets the job done..both have electric breaks..im in the process of selling both those trailers too if anyone is interested...im going to stiffen up the rear of the truck and buy and dump trailer...I almost bought a 2010 f250 diesel...should of..great deal..but this truck is almost paid off...so trying to keep lean....go big if you can is my advice..better in the long run..wish I did..but work w/ what I got

Lefet
12-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Tim you have pics of the 16' open?
I guess of the enclosed too!

TimNNJ
12-31-2010, 01:21 PM
I do..but they are on my laptop that died the other day..sweet!..but I will check my pc..may have some on there..or I will take some today...

bls47303
12-31-2010, 01:25 PM
ive plowed with a 1/2 ton for years you just have to take it easy on them come to a complete stop before shifting etc

doubleedge
12-31-2010, 01:39 PM
If you are plowing driveways and pulling only 5000 or so regularly, a 1/2 ton will be fine. If you plan to do more than that eventually, go for a 3/4 ton.

newjerseylandscaping
12-31-2010, 02:43 PM
I really like the 250s and the 2500, I found a dodge 2500 Thhat im looking at, the problom is im getting my license in march and im worried the bigger truck will have much higher insurance. THanks for the input. Also I dont know what id be plowing however i THink the HD would be better. Lets see how it goes.

Lefet
12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
I do..but they are on my laptop that died the other day..sweet!..but I will check my pc..may have some on there..or I will take some today...

If you do get them, either pm me for email or start a thread if you want to sell. It wouldn't be fair to hijack the thread.
My apologies.

newjerseylandscaping
12-31-2010, 03:38 PM
No problom i was actually looking foward to seeing them.

GreenI.A.
12-31-2010, 03:58 PM
I really like the 250s and the 2500, I found a dodge 2500 Thhat im looking at, the problom is im getting my license in march and im worried the bigger truck will have much higher insurance. THanks for the input. Also I dont know what id be plowing however i THink the HD would be better. Lets see how it goes.

You shouldn't have that big of a difference in the insurance. The different factor for the insurance is more the vehicle value for replacement do to fire, theft, or colision.

a f150 or 1500 isn't designed to be a work horse and to be pushed to it's limits. Yes you can plow and tow with it, but a 250/2500 will do a much better job. a larger truck will do the work a 150 can with ease and alot less wear and tear. A plow on the front wears shocks, coils, bushings etc.. these will need replacing alot more often on a smaller truck as the larger trucks are designed spacifically to carry this load on the front. The same goes with the rear. You can to 5k with a f150 but a f250 will do it with ease, you wont even now its back there. The larger truck will have less brake wear from the trailer and springs, shocks will be less effected by sag from tongue weight. I have used a 1500 to plow small driveways and small (10-15 car capacity) parking lots. I would never do any bigger lots or attempt streets with that size truck. Just way to much weight to push and pushes the truck to its limits.

The money you think you could save on insurance could quickly be eaten up by wear and tear and depreciation on that small truck. I know I would personally never by a f150/1500 that had a plow mounted on it, it's just not designed for that weight on the front. just my .02

Swampy
12-31-2010, 04:21 PM
I have two questions,

NJ

1. Yes a 4x4 1/2 ton Standard cab short box would be the best for plowing but long box would be better for the growing season. Also look for some heavy duty/off road front springs/suspension, the cost is higher to replace but the life is longer meaning less down time (have a extra sets on hand for quick replacement). I would also put timbren's in the rear, and a dual battery system with a big altinator in as electric plows suck a lot of juice. Almost forgot get atlest a locking rear end with a 4x4 on the floor, the push button electronic 4x4 for me is just a nightmare for me. Might also consider down the road of beefing up the transmission, with snow the engine will take the abuse but the driveline won't.

2. 7.3L F-SuperDuty (not newer F450), Central Hydralics running a Stainless Steel 8 or 10ft dump body, 9 foot plow, under tailgate salter. All on the shorter wheel base. Add a 2 leaf's to the rear stacks. While this set up is expensive, running with hydralic will have less battery draw, eliminates almost all of your electrical componets. Again get a locking rear end. <-- this truck would be more of a municpal spec'ed truck. And most SuperDuty's are only 2wd, there is some 4x4's out there but are really hard to find and ones I've seen go for big money for the year. I saw one set up almost like this, 1997 w/ 460 gasser and a steel box going for around $8900.

In my Opinion:
I like the shorter wheel bases for the turning radius, To me it saves time, less wear and tear on the transmission (from changing from Reverse to Drive back to Reverse back to Drive to turn 180 degrees). I would avoid trying to upsize your blade size to.

newjerseylandscaping
12-31-2010, 04:33 PM
More good input, im pushhing for a 2500 but if i get a 1500 then so be it. THanks for the input,anyone have a 1/2 ton with a plow on it pics? thanks, NJ.

Darryl G
12-31-2010, 05:03 PM
A lot of guys around here plow with half tons and 7.5 foot plows. The problem is that a 7.5 footer really is not big enough to cover the front end when fully angled and/or turning. I see a lot of landscapers/plowers with half tons and the Z71/FX4 offoroad packages...a good balance between a half ton and 3/4 ton I guess.

I've always plowed with 3/4 ton trucks (1985 Chevy K-20 and now a 2003 Silverado 2500HD), standard cab and 8 foot bed and same for my lawn care/landscaping business. If you're talking hardcore landscaping as in hardscaping and installs I'd go with a 3/4 ton p/u or 1 ton dump, but the one ton dump is less than ideal for residential driveways. In fact a full size longbed is less than idea too but not so bad.

I have a much easier time with residential drives now that I have a V plow...it makes a big difference in maneuverability being able to V the plow in. Not only does it reduce width but it makes a big difference in the swing radius of the truck.

Lefet
12-31-2010, 05:06 PM
Major good info here.

TimNNJ
12-31-2010, 05:12 PM
here she is...great shape...

TimNNJ
12-31-2010, 05:23 PM
16' enclosed..

newjerseylandscaping
12-31-2010, 05:39 PM
I like the enclosed price?

PROCUT1
12-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Some half ass paint job on that enclosed

TimNNJ
12-31-2010, 05:52 PM
HAHA..sure is...im not sure yet...

Lefet
12-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Looks like mine......SNOW COVERED!!!

360ci
01-02-2011, 09:52 PM
For plowing, I'd get a 2500. Nothing lower than that. If you pick up the latest Motor Trend, the Chev 2500HD won truck of the year. Lightest package, best mileage for the gas engine at slightly over 12mpg (worked!), lowest price, and all 4wd variants can handle a plow upfit without any major modifications as GM changed the underpinnings in the last year. They put the money where it mattered - in capability.

For diesel, I'd go with the Ram 2500 for the more reliable I6 design and the fact that my Dodge Durango has treated me very well thus far!

The thing is to remember that as much as a light truck might be able to technically do the job, such as plowing, you have to stay within the axle weight ratings. So if the front axle on a 1500 is rated at 3200lbs and the rear is 3200lbs as well, making for a gross vehicle weight rating of 6400lbs, and 65% of the weight of any truck is over the front axle, that leaves you well under lbs for a plow with full fuel, aftermarket equipment such as plow mount, electronics, driver and coffee, and other optional or added on equipment. If the payload is 2000lbs or less (GM has the higher payload ratings due to lower base weight, except for the F150HD with higher gross weight rating in ext cab long box trim) that payload might onyl mean that you have 850lbs on the front axle available and 1150 on the rear. Just food for thought should you ever get into an accident, you can be found to be at fault for running the truck overweight - and that's an insurance nightmare.

Besides, a 2500 will give you room to grow, in terms of larger trailers and more equipment down the road.

newjerseylandscaping
01-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I really like 250s and 2500s. i have my eye on an 03 dodge 2500 qaud cab. Great looking truck however i do belive a chevy 1500HD will do fine as well. time will tell i guess. because im saving as much as i can as fast as i can wile still getting equipment.

Darryl G
01-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Quad cab for plowing? Not so great. Full sized standard cab is bad enough.

I'd love to have a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier in addition to my 3/4 ton truck. Well, that and a 1 ton dump, lol. I know...I want a Tranformer truck!!!

360ci
01-02-2011, 10:49 PM
A narrow transformer truck!!

newjerseylandscaping
01-02-2011, 10:56 PM
HUH, I really like extended cabs. but a reg. cab could work. i think odds are ill end up with a 1999-03 Reg. cab 250 or 2500.

360ci
01-02-2011, 10:56 PM
If you get one a decade old, make sure the mileage is as low as you can get for the price.

Darryl G
01-02-2011, 11:02 PM
The long wheelbase trucks are really hard to plow residential driveways with. It's always a tradeoff. An extended cab is nice but an 8 foot bed is too. You almost have to pick a standard cab longbed or an extended cab shortbed for plowing...an extended cab longbed is just a beast to plow residential driveways with. But for landscaping, you run out of room in a shortbed really fast. Kind of the old "you can't have your cake and eat it too" thing.

360ci
01-02-2011, 11:05 PM
The long wheelbase trucks are really hard to plow residential driveways with. It's always a tradeoff. An extended cab is nice but an 8 foot bed is too. You almost have to pick a standard cab longbed or an extended cab shortbed for plowing...an extended cab longbed is just a beast to plow residential driveways with. But for landscaping, you run out of room in a shortbed really fast. Kind of the old "you can't have your cake and eat it too" thing.

Got that right. An older guy I know that took over managing 3-4 large apartment complexes bought a beat up Jeep and threw a 7' plow on it (it doesn't see the road!). Costs him about a thousand bucks a year in maintenance (half is fluid changes) and he saves $2800 a month in the winter, his lowest quote. For the odd heavy snow fall that we get he's out consistently, but in the last few years we've only had an inch or so at a time... it sucks.

newjerseylandscaping
01-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Yea i agree. im looking for the 6 foot in the extended cab and a 8 in reg. how ever maby a 6 foot in a reg. cab isnt so bad. nothing smaller than a six foot. BTW, My neiber plows with a f-350 crew cab with the 8 foot bed. Its a beast and has the powerstroke twins in it to.

Swampy
01-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Got that right. An older guy I know that took over managing 3-4 large apartment complexes bought a beat up Jeep and threw a 7' plow on it (it doesn't see the road!). Costs him about a thousand bucks a year in maintenance (half is fluid changes) and he saves $2800 a month in the winter, his lowest quote. For the odd heavy snow fall that we get he's out consistently, but in the last few years we've only had an inch or so at a time... it sucks.

I've seen that the smaller trucks in my area are getting paid almost the same as a 1 ton per hour. The only thing I can really think of why is for drive thru's for banks, fast food, etc. I was thinking about putting together a smaller plow/utility truck.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/Amerique_du_nord/Etats_Unis/Combat_Land_Expo_2003/Land_Combat_Expo_2005/pictures/Unimog_Engineer_ArmyRecognition_01.JPG

Ditch the front bucket, its truely worthless, take the excuvator off, and drop on a flat bed.

360ci
01-03-2011, 09:05 PM
I've seen that the smaller trucks in my area are getting paid almost the same as a 1 ton per hour. The only thing I can really think of why is for drive thru's for banks, fast food, etc. I was thinking about putting together a smaller plow/utility truck.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/Amerique_du_nord/Etats_Unis/Combat_Land_Expo_2003/Land_Combat_Expo_2005/pictures/Unimog_Engineer_ArmyRecognition_01.JPG

Ditch the front bucket, its truely worthless, take the excuvator off, and drop on a flat bed.

I can't imagine the turning radius is very good. Most major fleets here in Ontario, that operate 10+ trucks have a few, if not several smaller 3/4 and one ton trucks. For larger properties they team together if the snow is heavy to get it cleared faster, but for the most part we don't get all that much snow in my area. Besides, maintenance and parts for ex military vehicles is a PITA.

newjerseylandscaping
01-03-2011, 09:23 PM
If i got a 1500 or f-150 the front end would be beefed up. Tiberens, new shocks, ecsetra. What ever truck i get gill have amber strobe safty lights hidden in the heads and tails. a couple ambers on the back rack, acouple in the grill. reverse lights under the bumper and work light on the back rack. Not too much but enough to get noticed. also do you need reverse alarms if you have the plow?

TroutBum
01-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Ultimate snow and landscape truck = FUSO FG140.

360ci
01-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I thought it was a very short wheelbase Unimog for a quarter of a million bucks? Providing price doesn't matter...hehe

360ci
01-03-2011, 09:33 PM
I think you need a reverse alarm depending on your state law, and of gross weight of the vehicle (like a class 8, city truck). You'll have to phone around to get the just on that.

It's not the suspension and underpinnings that overly worry me on a 1500 that you want plow with, it's the front axle/gear set that is the weak link on most light trucks. Throwing on a plow would be similar to running 37" tires and working it on trails... just be cautious.

Darryl G
01-03-2011, 10:25 PM
I'd be hanging from a tree limb if I had a backup alarm on my truck I think. I like to sneak in at 3:00 and get it done without them even knowing. If anyone wants to get behind my while I'm plowing, well..they're just plain stupid.

newjerseylandscaping
01-03-2011, 11:49 PM
If i needed one for plowing id put a on off switch on it.

360ci
01-04-2011, 12:13 AM
You got it. For built in upfitter switches, Ford has you covered. It's an option on the F250 and up trucks. Otherwise for $2 and some wiring you can install one yourself on any other vehicle :)

Swampy
01-04-2011, 12:59 AM
jersey: I would put on for safety reasons in commerical lots. Trust me people become idiots when the snow fly's, and when you get into a accident if you don't have one installed it can transfer responsiblity back to you. I never was a fan of the flasher's in the grill, to much light splashes back, a good light bar (LED or Rotary) on a headache has been a okay for me.

360i: Unimogs have gone on to the auction blocks for as they were replaced by case backhoe's. They can be had for cheap now. I talked to a Construction Equipment Mechanic from the Army, All in all they are pretty decent but parts have been a issue as this Uni was mashed together from various manufactures such as Mercedes, Case, and someone else (I forgot). Parts are easy to come by as the Military buys stock piles of them.

But not knowing the manufacture shot this idea down. Though it would be cool to replace hauling a skid loader around to plow smaller areas as it has a short wheel base (comparable to a Ford Explorer), a ton of power and torque, and could drive at least 55mph down the road. Back to the drawing board.

newjerseylandscaping
01-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Im not a big fan of the lights you can see. hat i might do is put a low pro light bar on during the winter when i would be plowing. my neibers are a PITA when it come to commercial vehicles so i would be trying to hang low. the other thing is im looking into if it is possible to have it as a personal truck that i use for a commercial pourpose. Im hopeing this way it has reg. plates but im still covered wile working.

Darryl G
01-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Im not a big fan of the lights you can see. hat i might do is put a low pro light bar on during the winter when i would be plowing. my neibers are a PITA when it come to commercial vehicles so i would be trying to hang low. the other thing is im looking into if it is possible to have it as a personal truck that i use for a commercial pourpose. Im hopeing this way it has reg. plates but im still covered wile working.

If you do that you need to have a rider on your insurance policy for the truck to cover it for commercial use. Insurance companies love to deny converage due to fine print.

newjerseylandscaping
01-04-2011, 02:49 AM
Does any one know Approx. How much the rider would cost? and also do you have commercial plates or reg. plates? thanks

Darryl G
01-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Not sure of the cost but it wasn't a lot when I had a rider (actually I think they call it an edorsement) on my policy years ago when I was using my personal vehicle for work...couple/few hundred bucks a year. If I recall, it was based on how many miles per year it was used for work purposes. No harm in calling your insurance agent and asking for an estimate. They can inform you better than any of us can. The info on this site might help. http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content32863.aspx.

My work truck is strictly a work truck so I have a commercial policy on it. I don't think you'd need commercial plates but that stuff varies state-to-state. I have a combination plate on my truck here in CT but I don't think many states have those.