PDA

View Full Version : Used Duramax Diesel

joed
12-31-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm looking into purchasing a used duramax diesel GMC sierra pickup. A friend of mine has a 2009 Sierra with 50 000 km on it. I'm not familiar with this engine so I wanted to ask a few questions about it.
1. What can I expect in terms of fuel economy?
2. What can I expect in terms of durability?
3. Are the maintenance costs going to surpass any fuel savings I'd get from going with a gas pickup?

He's asking $41K for it. The truck cost him almost $60K in 2009. All prices are in Canadian dollars. A new 6.0L gas 2011 Sierra similar to his goes for about $42K (after rebates) + tax. Thanks, in advance, for all replies.

mowerbrad
12-31-2010, 11:54 PM
1. Fuel economy is going to vary greatly. These newer diesels have plenty of emissions control devices that cause the truck to get less than impressive fuel economy. If you can take some of the emissions stuff off the truck, your fuel economy will increase. Also does the truck have the 3.73 or the 4.10 gearing? The 3.73 truck will give you better fuel economy. If you have the 3.73 and are able to take off some of the emissions stuff, I'd expect the truck gets 18-20mpg on the highway, maybe more.

2) The duramax engines are pretty good engines. They will handle most anything you will need to do with a pick-up. If you plan on plowing these trucks will push the snow with no problem. Lots of people have over 300,000 miles on their duramax trucks, with all major components being original. The engine and tranny are both tough and can handle alot. But nonetheless, these are engines so things will eventually go wrong and things will break.

3. When something goes wrong expect to pay a very pretty penny to have it fixed if it isn't under warranty. If you have any injector problems or need them replaced (should have to for a very long time), expect to pay several thousand dollars. Glow plugs will also be very expensive to replace, not as simple as changing spark plugs. Glow plugs will cost you close to $1000 (not quite sure on this new of a duramax). Injection pumps are also very expensive, another couple thousand dollar repair. Things add up very fast with diesels. And oil changes are double what a gas truck costs to change (but you can go a little longer between changes).

If you aren't doing lots of heavy towing or aren't going to be putting on lots of highway miles, then a diesel is probably not for you. The new 6.0L gas trucks are very capable trucks. The diesels are very nice, but if you don't tow heavy loads or don't put lots of highway miles on them, you just aren't going to be seeing the benefits of a diesel. It'll be a great truck when its new, but think 5 years down the road when things maybe needing replacing...how much will it cost you to have it fixed and do you fuel savings compensate for that?

Love the duramax engines, but the real question comes down to whether or not you really need a diesel.

The main thing is that diesels cost a lot more to fix when something goes wrong.

koster_irrigation
01-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Ive got an 2007 and a 2009 duramax
Both are crewcab service bodies with single rear wheels (not duellies)
Im in the irrigation business, and we stay VERY busy. My trucks
stay on the road, traveling alot- as some my job sites are VERY good distances from my home.

the 07 gets in the low 300 mile range while pulling heavy trailers. in the 400 or so mi if not.

both have 30 or so gal tanks.

the 09 is a little better on gas milage, maybe high 400 mi to 500 mi a tank.

Alot is on how you drive as well, if your gooseing it around every corner like some highschooler with loud pipes,
then cut your milage in half.

Diesel is creeping up, im at $3.25 a gal.

To answer your second question:
DURABILITY IS SECOND TO NONE WITH THIS ENGINE.
Ford diesels, depending on the yr model have had LOTS of issues.

3rd question.

like i said, this engine gives basically no problems. I change my oil with rotella every 6k.

Ive only heard of problems with people that have "performance chips" installed. Ive heard of blown engines and other things. But they are also doing stupid things like drag racing, burn outs etc.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-01-2011, 12:18 PM
If its supposed to make u $$$... gotta go with the gasser. If its also a personal truck the diesel has the cool factor and will help out towing heavy loads.