PDA

View Full Version : mini skid ?

teejet
12-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Is it practical to use a mini, say a ditch witch 350 to load a small dump truck with dirt or mulch. I like the compactness and versitility of the mini skids. I just hate to also buy something with some real hp to move dirt and mulch. What would it take a half hour or so to load 4 yrds of mulch on a truck, if you could even reach that high?

Surfdunn
01-04-2011, 02:42 PM
when loading my dump with a mini skidsteer there usually had to be a guy in the truck moving everything forward. My dump truck is also a f450 with stake body sides so reaching over the sides was impossible and we could only get materials into the truck from the rear.Now using our dump trailer was a complete diffrent story as it was lower and allowed us to dump from the sides and rear.

G.L. In Ont
01-04-2011, 03:49 PM
My Thomas 25G wheeled mini-skid is awesome and comes in handy for a LOT of jobs. That said, it won't carry much in the bucket (without tipping) and the reach with the arms fully extended is pretty limited.

I did see one last year where the owner had fab'd a weight holder (much like you see weight plates on the back of a tractor) to the back so that the bucket could carry more.

But for postholes in tight spots or with limited access it's great. If you did a lot of stone work where you needed to carry or push larger boulders you'd probably be better of with a smaller reg-sized skid.

SDLandscapes VT
01-05-2011, 10:17 PM
I use a ditch witch SK650 as my primary landscaping tool and I can load my 3500 HD very full with a little forethought. I can reach over the sides to the middle but to get the best load you have to rotate the truck 180 and fill the other side to get all 5 yds in.

Best

Aaron

greatdanerunner
01-06-2011, 10:28 AM
I have an sk350 it will just clear my f550 with a mason bed. To fill the truck we do have to rotate the truck to fill from both sides. The sk350 is best used to move thing around on the ground once they are out of the truck.