PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Idea

MattS
01-02-2011, 12:02 AM
I would be surprised if this hasn't been made yet, but I couldn't find a good version when I searched so here goes....

I was buying some on sale Christmas LED lights (70 C6, 4.8 watts, ~20 feet) and was thinking of how useful it would be to have these, or a string of something similar, possibly even landscape lights, hooked up to a light sensor so that when it got dark outside the lights would automatically come on. I have tried the solar landscape lights and have been pretty disappointed with them. I think that a few of these LED lights strung together would provide a great way to illuminate walkways, house perimeters, anything really at a low price and low power usage. I figure one string on for about 12 hours at most of darkness would be the same as having a 60 watt bulb on for 1 hour. From what I have seen the low voltage lighting sets are usually relatively expensive (~$80) and I would think that this sensor/led light idea of mine could easily be done for ~$20-$30.

That said, has anyone seen anything like this or know why it wouldn't work? If this hasn't been done before, I think someone could make some real money on something like this.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-02-2011, 04:46 AM
I would be surprised if this hasn't been made yet, but I couldn't find a good version when I searched so here goes....

I was buying some on sale Christmas LED lights (70 C6, 4.8 watts, ~20 feet) and was thinking of how useful it would be to have these, or a string of something similar, possibly even landscape lights, hooked up to a light sensor so that when it got dark outside the lights would automatically come on. I have tried the solar landscape lights and have been pretty disappointed with them. I think that a few of these LED lights strung together would provide a great way to illuminate walkways, house perimeters, anything really at a low price and low power usage. I figure one string on for about 12 hours at most of darkness would be the same as having a 60 watt bulb on for 1 hour. From what I have seen the low voltage lighting sets are usually relatively expensive (~$80) and I would think that this sensor/led light idea of mine could easily be done for ~$20-$30.

That said, has anyone seen anything like this or know why it wouldn't work? If this hasn't been done before, I think someone could make some real money on something like this.

I suppose you could do this, but it just would not look all that good when compared to the alternatives. Also, you can find LED patio lanterns if you search hard enough and want that look.

By the way, if you think cheap plastic lighting kits are expensive then you are posting at the wrong forum. Click on a few of our websites and see the type of work that we do here. Small systems typically start around the $2k to $3k range and go up substantially from there. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

irrig8r
01-02-2011, 12:34 PM

LOL. I think someone got New Years Day mixed up with April Fools Day.

GreenI.A.
01-02-2011, 04:18 PM
I did a small light install last September about $2,400. The customer wanted to use LED string lights on the two trees at the corners of the house in stead up up lights. After only 2 weeks he called me back because he was sick of eveyone asking why he had christmas lights up 3 months eary and wanted to take them down and do up lighting; i'm glad I designed he system to be able to fit the extra lights on the lines.

I assume the same thing would happed in your case, string lights just give the idea of christmas. And as far as a light sensor goes, that is something many of us already use, I upsell almost all of my systems with a photo cell wired into the transformer.

I am thinking of offering led string lighting for trees fround outdoor kitchen/living spaces, this is common with alot of resteraunts who have patio seeting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-02-2011, 09:02 PM
"See the effect, not the source"

Projected light from hidden sources is more attractive, does a better job at highlighting the intended object, can be glare free, creates depth and drama through the use of highlights and shadows, is not distracting and rarely gets confused with Christmas Lights!

"Bad lighting is recognized right away. Good lighting is something that takes some time to appreciate."