PDA

View Full Version : How to kill nutsedge ???

joef450snowplow
01-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Hey guys, I have a few new accounts that i just picked up this past snow storm we had hear in Ny and I already had a customer this year that has nutsedge, and 2 of my new accounts the customers had said they have a this weed that pops up when the temps start to warm up and that it looks like grass just with a taller and thicker blade, so i had showed them a few pics off of google and asked if it was the weed in the pics and it was, it was nutsedge, I was told by a landscaper I worked for if i used ortho weed spray with crabgrass killer in it, it should work and it did but then new plants would start to pop up the next week i would mow, so any ideas on what product I should use to eliminate this nutsedge? Thanks - Joe :hammerhead::hammerhead:

xclusive
01-02-2011, 02:17 PM
This year I used a new product that John Deere just started carrying called Solitaire. The results were good however it is expensive.

joef450snowplow
01-02-2011, 02:19 PM
price range?

Patriot Services
01-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Sedgehammer 15 bucks for a 10k treatment.
Posted via Mobile Device

xclusive
01-02-2011, 04:54 PM
It cost $125 for a 1lb jar and I think you get about 36 gallons out of that jar.

joef450snowplow
01-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Sedgehammer 15 bucks for a 10k treatment.
Posted via Mobile Device

could you give me a lil info on the product at all?

Sammy
01-03-2011, 02:05 AM
http://www.pestproducts.com/sedgehammer.htm

JNyz
01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Doesn't anyone know how to google?

Patriot Services
01-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Yes, but I put more stock in the opinions here than on the so called consumer reviews on the distributors websites. I would take Ric's advice over google reviews anyday.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
01-03-2011, 07:40 PM
sedge hammer works good, sometimes takes more than one app to completely knock it out. JDL sells it in two sizes, a little 1.33 oz bottle that treats an acre at the stronger mix and is costly (sorry don't have the figures in front of me) and a little packet that makes 1 gallon of mix and is cheap. If you'll be using it a decent amount then the bottle is worth it.

joef450snowplow
01-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate it, I think im going to try the sedgehammer and if that doesn't work ill try the stuff John Deere sells, Thanks again and Happy New year to you guys, best of luck this up coming season!

SDLandscapes VT
01-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Pesticide license??

GreenI.A.
01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
John Deere is JDL, it's John Deere Landscapes the Old Lesco Stores, not sure if you are thinking of going to just a John Deere dealer or something. They'll have the sedge hammer

Patriot Services
01-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Pesticide license??

With or without he is going to do it. Might as well use the right product the first time. Following the label works wonders.
Posted via Mobile Device

SDLandscapes VT
01-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Doesn't make it legal though--there is a reason as an industry we struggle with being recognized as professionals. This is one of them--if you don't have a license hire someone who does or get one yourself.

Patriot Services
01-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Doesn't make it legal though--there is a reason as an industry we struggle with being recognized as professionals. This is one of them--if you don't have a license hire someone who does or get one yourself.

Don't get me wrong on that point. I agree 100%.
Posted via Mobile Device

LB1234
01-04-2011, 03:37 PM
unless he is just doing it for his house.then its not illegal.

dave k
01-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Certainty works good so does Manage

greenbaylawns
01-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Q4 is what we use. Get's rid of everything we run into..Yes were Licensed. I think its about a hundred bucks a gallon. Google (Q4 Pesticide) for the label

joef450snowplow
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Pesticide license??

I just turned 17 i dont think i ccan get one yet in Ny state

SDLandscapes VT
01-04-2011, 09:32 PM
You cannot spray any chemicals for money. Not sure what the exact situation there is, but here you have to keep a valid license on file to even purchase chemicals from a professional vendor. I think at 17 you can get some form of license. The tests are not particularly difficult.

capetrees
01-04-2011, 10:21 PM
http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/209.html

Regardless of age, don't get caught using pesticides anywhere other than your own property. Fines are big and if you mess things up and contaminate something by mistake, you will have HUGE costs associated with cleanup. Find a friend with a license or sub it out to a company but don't get caught. Neighbors and passersby have a habit of calling enforcement agencies. Watch it.

BTW Sedgehammer has worked wonders for me and my lawns.

GreenI.A.
01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Yup back in 05 I had a person call the state because the dog got sick and they insisted it was from my app. Of course these people lived across the street from the property I treated with GRANULAR fert and both properties were fenced in. The inspector laughed about it with me but they still had to inspect because they got the call

fl-landscapes
01-04-2011, 11:35 PM
With or without he is going to do it. Might as well use the right product the first time. Following the label works wonders.
Posted via Mobile Device

You mentioned Ric, I can assure you he would disagree with this thought, or helping any illegal applicators, period.

joef450snowplow
01-05-2011, 12:50 AM
http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/209.html

Regardless of age, don't get caught using pesticides anywhere other than your own property. Fines are big and if you mess things up and contaminate something by mistake, you will have HUGE costs associated with cleanup. Find a friend with a license or sub it out to a company but don't get caught. Neighbors and passersby have a habit of calling enforcement agencies. Watch it.

BTW Sedgehammer has worked wonders for me and my lawns.

Well most of the yards I do are my Neighbors and most people on my side of town know me because I go to school with there kids or they have seen me working day after day and have talked to me and told me there proud of me for doing what i do or its just amusing to them ,so i don't think ill have that problem

SDLandscapes VT
01-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Still doesn't make it legal--be a pro. Stretch yourself and get the license

You ll be happy you did

Patriot Services
01-05-2011, 09:02 AM
You mentioned Ric, I can assure you he would disagree with this thought, or helping any illegal applicators, period.

Oh I know Ric is fed up with inlicensed apps and hacks. I completely agree with him. However we all know it is a problem that won't go away. Better to give proper advice as opposed to dumping tons of the wrong chemical. I work closely with a small independant applicator and what I've used on my own yard. I do have my limited and the new bmp fert only licenses. I wish Ric did teach the ceu classes around here. At least they would be more entertaining and real world informative.
Posted via Mobile Device

joef450snowplow
01-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Still doesn't make it legal--be a pro. Stretch yourself and get the license

You ll be happy you did

didnt say it did make it legal ,im not hear for any fights or anything just had a question

fl-landscapes
01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Well most of the yards I do are my Neighbors and most people on my side of town know me because I go to school with there kids or they have seen me working day after day and have talked to me and told me there proud of me for doing what i do or its just amusing to them ,so i don't think ill have that problem

do you amuse them enough that they would let you do electrical work on their house repair the plumbing??? Im just saying, from reading your initial post it seems you know as much about chemical applications as you do about electrical or plumbing. Chemical applications require a lis. just as much as the other skilled trade. FOR A REASON!

capetrees
01-05-2011, 09:37 PM

You just don't get it and I wouldn't think you would as young as you are. (no insult intended. ) If you damage their lawns with your chemicals or poison their pets or kids or poison their wells or wetlands, do you think they'll still be proud of you? Do you think they'll let you walk away from the mess because they know you? Being licensed means you understand how to use the chemicals correctly, understand the dangers surrounding what you're doing and are insured for any damages. It takes time to get the license and it takes money to insure yourself but in time, and again, as young as you are you have more time than me, you will make it up 10 fold and will make it up safely.

SDLandscapes VT
01-06-2011, 12:35 AM
thank you cape trees.....

joef450snowplow
01-06-2011, 12:42 AM
I agree with you guys 100% with being licensed, but im not making enough money to pay for insure or taxes like all you guys who have a legitimate biz,because if i did i would be licensed

SDLandscapes VT
01-06-2011, 12:47 AM
raise your rates

Sammy
01-06-2011, 05:43 AM
I agree with you guys 100% with being licensed, but im not making enough money to pay for insure or taxes like all you guys who have a legitimate biz,because if i did i would be licensed

Well, I ..... ah.... think....oh never mind .....Why bother. :hammerhead:

Patriot Services
01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
You always have the option of stooping over and pulling it out. Free, easy, no license required. Best part its billable.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
01-06-2011, 10:17 AM

your in NY so you have a 3.5 months till first app, why don't you invest that time in marketting yourself and build up your customer base. Talk to a commercial insurance agent and findout some rates for commercial liability for your vehicle and for work including pest apps. is yur truck commercially insured? Good luck with your insurance company if you get in an accident while pulling your trailer.

willgro89
01-07-2011, 10:45 PM
sedgehammer kills it there coming out with a pre emegent in the spring so i hear

Wright48
01-13-2011, 05:49 PM
sedge hammer!!!!!!!

ArTurf
01-14-2011, 09:12 AM

I as well as many of us have been where you are. So this advice is coming from real experience. Back when I was just mowing a customer had a weed problem and wanted me to spray something to control them. Without the proper knowledge I declined. She asked a guy that worked for me at the time to apply something which he did. He either applied the wrong product or amount and pretty much killed the whole yard. True story.

The point of being licensed is not just legal issues but truly understanding what needs to be done and the proper way. If something similar were to happen to you the cost of replacing the yard would be devastating. Not only that, your reputation would be shot.

Elevate yourself and obtain the proper training and licensing. You will be better off in the long run and glad you did it.

txgrassguy
01-14-2011, 10:07 AM
First of all this question belongs in the Pesticide Forum.

Secondly, I wouldn't spray anything without a license regardless of whom it was for.

The sheer stupidity of an unlicensed application and the liability you are opening yourself up to is simply idiotic.

True story: My crew and I are at an estate grounds performing needed maintenance. Picture a three million dollar plus house with three a acre turf site and huge landscaping. I see a p/u stop and a guy gets out and asks me what I am preparing to spray. So I tell him - state law says you have to tell people what you are applying. Two weeks later the property owner where this guy worked calls me all up-set. Seems his lco had applied the same chemical I applied to a different property and killed his entire yard. Didn't matter the lco was unlicensed, didn't matter the two turf types were completely different, this owner was demanding I replace his turf. Ended up being sued by this homeowner for damages and the scary part was the judge - despite my both showing the label then reading it to the court - was inclined to think I should have to replace this guy's yard as well. I finally prevailed but it cost me almost three weeks total of my time. The attorney costs were paid by the homeowner since he lost but this taught me one very salient lesson. When approached by someone other than the true property owner I don't say squat. When approached by an lco I say get lost and stay there.

Patriot Services
01-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Great story. People don't realize court isn't about right or wrong. Whomever can tell the most believable story to a judge will prevail. People think Ric is a hardass for asking for a CPO# prior to giving advice. I'll stick to my own yard and using the same great independant pest guy I have as a sub.
Posted via Mobile Device

cranbourne
01-14-2011, 11:44 AM
In Australia we call them Lawn grubs or cowboys. They are one of the reasons we will never get to the point that you guys in America have.
Sorry for getting off topic.

Nutsedge. Have you ever tried adding some dish washing liquid. I'm just guessing here but we have a problem with Nut weed over here and if a squirt of dish washing liquid is added to roundup works beautifully.

Patriot Services
01-14-2011, 11:52 AM
In Australia we call them Lawn grubs or cowboys. They are one of the reasons we will never get to the point that you guys in America have.

Nutsedge. Have you ever tried adding some dish washing liquid. I'm just guessing here but we have a problem with Nut weed over here and if a squirt of dish washing liquid is added to roundup works beautifully.

Roundup pro already has a surfactant. Can't apply ANY pesticide to TURF without a license.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
01-14-2011, 03:18 PM

yeah round-up will work to kill nutsedge but will also kill the grass right around it. I don't think this guy wants a bunch of 3" round dead spots all over. SedgeHammer and Manage are both selective and will take out the nut sedge with out killing the turf. Round up with a surfactant does work great if you have a large area you want to completly nuke and reseed from scratch

loupiscopolandscaping
01-14-2011, 06:58 PM
yeah use SOLITAIRE i bought some and havent used it yet...im told itll kill everything

avguy
01-14-2011, 07:58 PM
yeah round-up will work to kill nutsedge but will also kill the grass right around it.

Roundup will kill nutsedge & stop the tubers from sprouting as well?

txgrassguy
01-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Roundup will kill nutsedge & stop the tubers from sprouting as well?

No. Round-up is glyosphate, a salty acid, which requires trans-location to the apical meristem to severe the plant's ability to process the products of photosynthesis.
Sedge is not a member of the grass family and as such products like Round-up will only effect the area of the plant to the point some leaf tissue will separate from the bulb but will not kill the bulb.

Patriot Services
01-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Just mix everything together in a pot and ladle over entire yard. Finish by sprinkling liberally with granular of choice. Discreetly charge to their phone bill.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
01-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Pressedun
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Just mix everything together in a pot and ladle over entire yard. Finish by sprinkling liberally with granular of choice. Discreetly charge to their phone bill.
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh::laugh::laugh: