PDA

View Full Version : Will it cause damage?

BostonBull
01-02-2011, 02:45 PM
If we get a warm spell, and the grass dries out id like to re-mulch mow some areas of the lawn where leaves are a bit thick. If I mow some lawn while doing this and then we get a freeze will I cause damage, or will the lawn just go into dormancy and not be affected?

Darryl G
01-02-2011, 03:37 PM
I would never run equipment on a lawn this time of year where I am. More because of the soft ground than anything else. When things do thaw, the soil is still frozen down below and the water has nowhere to go, making things pretty mushy.

I think you missed the window of opportunity for fall cleanups and will have to live with that until spring if mowing/mulching is your only way of dealing with leaves.

BostonBull
01-02-2011, 03:42 PM
not my only way, just prefered method, I could get out there and blow it all off, but would rather use the leaves to feed the soil.

Darryl G
01-02-2011, 03:51 PM
I can't see weather/soil conditions being suitable to mulch leaves any time in the near future. I think you'd inevitably do more harm than good. I'd blow off the heavy accumulations that might smother the turf.

Sounds like you might have overbooked yourself on cleanups, because snow didn't exactly come early this year?

BostonBull
01-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Didnt miss anything, this is for my personal lawn. I mulched it all in plenty of time, there are a few areas I wouldnt mind hitting again though, to break down the material further.

Darryl G
01-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Ohhhhhh...