PDA

View Full Version : Applying CT in drought/heat and cold weather conditions?

mikesturf
01-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I will be applying 2 gallons/1000 ft. Chicago area, clay soils.

1. Is it bad to apply compost tea in August when temps are high and no rain in forecast?

2. At what temps can I begin to apply (spring), what temps should I stop (late fall). I assume soil temps are best to guage this by.

3. How long to wait until mowing after application? Does it matter (folair absorption).

NattyLawn
01-02-2011, 08:16 PM
I will be applying 2 gallons/1000 ft. Chicago area, clay soils.

1. Is it bad to apply compost tea in August when temps are high and no rain in forecast?

2. At what temps can I begin to apply (spring), what temps should I stop (late fall). I assume soil temps are best to guage this by.

3. How long to wait until mowing after application? Does it matter (folair absorption).

1. It's probably not the best to apply tea in the heat and drought of summer. Ideal conditions would be a cloudy day with moist soil and more rain coming to help transport the tea into the soil. I apply at 5-6 gallons per k, and I would recommend at least 4 gallons per k. Why are you applying in the summer?

2. Correct, soil temps are going to be the key. I apply mid-spring (May) and end in October.

3. Mowing shouldn't be an issue with tea.

Are you applying AACT or an ICT product?

mikesturf
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
I have been using organic based fertilizers for 6 years and I am going to substitute compost tea for a few applications. Mid May, end of August and end of October work best for my schedule.

I will be brewing my own with worm castings and molasses.

NattyLawn
01-02-2011, 10:32 PM
I have been using organic based fertilizers for 6 years and I am going to substitute compost tea for a few applications. Mid May, end of August and end of October work best for my schedule.

I will be brewing my own with worm castings and molasses.

End of August would be great for me too, but it's not good for the soil or the expectations of customers. It's a waste of time. It might be better to start your early falls and then back that up with the tea app.

mikesturf
01-02-2011, 11:13 PM
End of August would be great for me too, but it's not good for the soil or the expectations of customers. It's a waste of time. It might be better to start your early falls and then back that up with the tea app.

August app-"waste of time"-that is the direct type of answer I was looking for. (I've spent hours doing searches on Lawnsite and YouTube)

So, one CT app in mid May, then one CT app in late October, along with organic based granular fert apps in April, June and Sept. Do you feel 2 CT apps per year will help??? (Compost topdressing is not an option for me).