PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to backpack sprayer CT application

mikesturf
01-02-2011, 03:05 PM
The Earthway S25 can apply 2.2 gallons/1000 ft2. The tank holds 6.6 gallons. Costs around $500.

http://www.earthway.com/product/sprayer

NattyLawn
01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
The Earthway S25 can apply 2.2 gallons/1000 ft2. The tank holds 6.6 gallons. Costs around $500.

http://www.earthway.com/product/sprayer

Like I mentioned in the other thread, a backpack or this sprayer will be way too time consuming. I pull hose for tea apps.

CHARLES CUE
01-02-2011, 07:40 PM
You use a back pack sprayer for compost tea that's got to take for ever.

Bit the bullet and buy the right equipment.

Charles Cue

mikesturf
01-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Two reasons why I cannot use a skid sprayer.

1. I have an enclosed van, CO fumes.

2. I do this part time, only 140 accounts.

I've been wanting to incorporate more organics in my program and the Earthway sprayer will work for me. May not work for others, just putting this thread out there for people getting started with organics. Not everyone can drop over $2,500 starting out.

CHARLES CUE
01-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Two reasons why I cannot use a skid sprayer.

1. I have an enclosed van, CO fumes.

2. I do this part time, only 140 accounts.

I've been wanting to incorporate more organics in my program and the Earthway sprayer will work for me. May not work for others, just putting this thread out there for people getting started with organics. Not everyone can drop over $2,500 starting out.

Not to be mean Mike but the first 2 things don't seem to be reasons.They make electric pumps you can pipe the exhaust out of the van.leave the doors open. You have a 140 accounts and can't afford to spend $2500 over time. It doesn't sound like your just starting.

And how good is the earth way sprayer will it last the year. Are the gears and housing made of plastic or metal. I always thought of earth way spreaders as home owner stuff. What would be the best investment 500. a year or 2500 that will last a long time.

Good luck
Charles Cue

mikesturf
01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Never thought of the vented piping-thanks, I'm going to look into that.

By just getting started, I'm referring to brewing/using compost tea. I have a very happy and loyal clientele using granular organic based fertilizers. I just don't want to invest $2,500 when I'm just starting out with teas. If teas work for me, then in the future, I will take the next step with a skid sprayer.

Thank you very much for your input and help!

I don't know the quality of the Earthway sprayer-good point.

tadhussey
01-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Why not a larger container you can fill on-site and treat the water, mix the ACT you brought to the site in at recommended rates, and then apply by hose with a sump pump or some type of impeller pump? Even just sticking your thumb over the end as a makeshift nozzle. This is about as basic as you can get...

Falcon50EX
01-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Why not a larger container you can fill on-site and treat the water, mix the ACT you brought to the site in at recommended rates, and then apply by hose with a sump pump or some type of impeller pump? Even just sticking your thumb over the end as a makeshift nozzle. This is about as basic as you can get...

A 250gal tote is 60$ pump listed above is less then the tank and some hose and a real if you would like I have a Honda 4 stroke mini pump that works really well 275-300$ you could place it outside the van its only 5-10 bls. I have used it for 2 years and it starts on the first pull.
Get creative

Barefoot James
01-03-2011, 09:53 PM
149 accounts and you don't have $2500 to invest in your long term business??? You are doing something REALLY WRONG dude. I would say you must not have but a couple accounts. Even if you are a low baller and have 149 accounts @ $39 per app thats $5811 per round. You for sure should be buying ICT cause you for sure will not be able to brew any quality tea. At least with ICT you will have some good stuff to spray and be able to use that little thing you are looking at. Keep in mind quality tea will for sure have some solids in it too and that little thing will clog.

If you got something to ride on try this.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200347991_200347991

Kiril
01-04-2011, 08:50 AM
If the site has irrigation, a back pack sprayer is doable for small sites, even if it is not ideal.

ICT Bill
01-04-2011, 09:10 AM
If the site has irrigation, a back pack sprayer is doable for small sites, even if it is not ideal.

you guys in California have not needed any irrigation lately, looks like you are going to make up for a 3 year drought in a month

That little sprayer is actually pretty heavy duty and is built for lawn companies rather than harry homeowner, we threw some tea at them last summer and it sprays fine, you can change out the nozzle to a floodjet type and you should be fine with extracted and brewed teas. you could do you route in a Yugo or Tata instead of a big truck with a spray rig

it sprays a 2 to 5 foot swath and sprays as fast as you can walk, I would call it a decent alternative

Kiril
01-04-2011, 09:12 AM
you guys in California have not needed any irrigation lately, looks like you are going to make up for a 3 year drought in a month

Yea, been pretty wet lately. I only wish it worked that way with respect to the drought .... or not given drought is good for business. ;)

mikesturf
01-04-2011, 09:38 AM
149 accounts and you don't have $2500 to invest in your long term business??? You are doing something REALLY WRONG dude. I would say you must not have but a couple accounts. Even if you are a low baller and have 149 accounts @ $39 per app thats $5811 per round. You for sure should be buying ICT cause you for sure will not be able to brew any quality tea. At least with ICT you will have some good stuff to spray and be able to use that little thing you are looking at. Keep in mind quality tea will for sure have some solids in it too and that little thing will clog.

If you got something to ride on try this.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200347991_200347991

I have a very loyal and happy client base. I haven't taken any new customers in 3 years because I only do this part time and have no ambitions now of expanding, nor do I currently want to do this full time. My full time job is a chemist, which I fully enjoy and don't want to leave.

I understand using a tank and hose set up is much easier. Its not the money issue. I really didn't explain myself well enough. The reason I don't want to invest in buying large equipment is I need to see results from using compost tea first, then if I like them, I will seriously look into a large spray unit.

For now, I have decided to test 20 lawns in 2011 with CT, using the Earthway and compare the results at the end of the year.

NattyLawn
01-04-2011, 09:48 AM
A 250gal tote is 60$ pump listed above is less then the tank and some hose and a real if you would like I have a Honda 4 stroke mini pump that works really well 275-300$ you could place it outside the van its only 5-10 bls. I have used it for 2 years and it starts on the first pull.
Get creative

I like this idea a lot....Hell, I could put a reel on the underside of my box truck, and run a tote or two out of the box. I would like to figure out a way to give the totes a little air though...

Falcon50EX
01-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I like this idea a lot....Hell, I could put a reel on the underside of my box truck, and run a tote or two out of the box. I would like to figure out a way to give the totes a little air though...

Just run a pump or by pass from the top the splash will create O2 for the short time it will be in the tank. My little pump puts out the liquid

Tim Wilson
01-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Just run a pump or by pass from the top the splash will create O2 for the short time it will be in the tank. My little pump puts out the liquid

You may wish to use an air pump to avoid running the CT over and over through a pump. The only idea I have is to use a 12 volt power inverter.

ICT Bill
01-05-2011, 05:18 AM
sureflow and many others make 12 volt diaphram pumps

Tim Wilson
01-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Do you mean Shurflo? And do they make air pumps?

Pumptecguy
01-05-2011, 12:10 PM

I do not believe the CT will flow through the Shurflo type of pump. The pump valves are like fish gills and it should plug up quite often.

You are better off using a centrifugal pump (no valves or shear) to fling this stuff out.

Tim Wilson
01-05-2011, 07:10 PM
I think we're talking air pumps for aerating.

Pumptecguy
01-06-2011, 07:05 AM
I think we're talking air pumps for aerating.

Well, one of you was talking about pumping liquid and the OP started with the push around sprayer, so I do not think I am too far off in my advice.

Shurflo and the others make pumps driven by electric motors, CO2 gas and pneumatically (air). The problems of pumping are the same in all cases. It is a silly use for these pumps to pump air.

If you are talking about aeration, then say aeration.

Tim Wilson
01-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by NattyLawn

Reply by Falcon

Reply by me
You may wish to use an air pump to avoid running the CT over and over through a pump. The only idea I have is to use a 12 volt power inverter.

Reply by ICT Bill

Reply by me
Do you mean Shurflo? And do they make air pumps?