PDA

View Full Version : Custom Wood Fence Construction

JimLewis
01-03-2011, 12:15 AM
I have a client who wants us to construct a fence like the one below. Simple enough. But there are three things I can't figure out just based on this photo.

1) What size are those 3 boards going horizontal? Do you think those are 2"x4"s or 1"x4"s?

2) What do you think it looks like on the opposite side? If those are 1"x4"s then I would guess it looks the same on the other side. But if those are 2"x4"s then there wouldn't be enough room on the other side for any vertical boards. Right?

3) Does it look like there is a thin cap on top? It looks to me like there is a really thin 1"x4" cap or something like that.

I'll attach the regular photo as well as an altered one that I blew up a little in Photoshop.....

http://fencecodallas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/cedar-wood-fences-2.jpg

Stillwater
01-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Jim the trim is or would be a 3x.5 or possibly a 4x.5
The fence style is called shadowbox and they do have caps. The size of the cap equals the width of the thickness of the fence. They are also considered the most neighbor friendly fence style as they are the same on both sides. If you are going to make any of these panels I strongly suggest you take the time needed to construct a jig and spacers using the exact dimensions taken from the completed fence your copying. even the slightest off measurement will be magnified over the legnght of the panel and possibly be visible and make installing a nightmare. also make sure the surface you are building it on is level if you are going to use redwood or cedar use stainless finish nails.

JimLewis
01-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Stillwater, I never thanked you. But thanks very much for your help on this! We got the job and will start construction on this fence tomorrow.

firewoosh
01-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Are we gonna get picks of the finished fence?

GunnPropertyServices
01-26-2011, 10:44 PM
pretty complicated fence for first time build, take your time that type of fence if called called board on board not shadow box just to clarify

the thickness of the boards should be 3/4 or full 1 inch for the measurement to come out correct with a standard 4 x 4 post

JimLewis
01-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Sure. Here are a few photos. Of course, the photo from the original post in this thread was a stained fence. Obviously, this fence isn't stained yet. And it was pouring down rain so staining wasn't even an option at this point. From the fence boards to the 1"x4"s, I used a nicest grade of wood we could buy locally. I couldn't find wood as clear as the one in the original photo. That must be a kind of wood that's native to another state. But around here, this is about the clearest stuff I could find at my local lumber yard.

It was more challenging doing this kind of fence on a slope because the bottom board couldn't really go right on the bottom. So it had to go on the "uphill side" of the bottom of the fence. Which left part of the fence boards showing on the "downhill" side of each section. Still nicer than your typical fence, though, I think.

We're not really fence builders. It's just something we do sometimes if it works out. But I don't push fences or anything. It just comes up sometimes as we're doing larger projects on a property. Some people just want to deal with one company for everything. So that's why we did this fence. We're doing a much larger landscape job here.

3rd tractor generation
01-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Hey Jim, On a local note next time your looking for quality lumber visit Superior Fence and construction on Powell right off of I205. They have a retail yard and will sell to other contractors. They have had the best quality boards in town I have seen. And if they don't have what you need they can get it to you quickly. They also have all the hardware there and can even weld you up a metal framed gate to fit.

Kiril
01-27-2011, 12:01 AM
I couldn't find wood as clear as the one in the original photo. That must be a kind of wood that's native to another state. But around here, this is about the clearest stuff I could find at my local lumber yard.

It is redwood Jim, the whole fence by the looks of it. Won't last very long either with redwood posts.

JimLewis
01-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Hey Jim, On a local note next time your looking for quality lumber visit Superior Fence and construction on Powell right off of I205. They have a retail yard and will sell to other contractors. They have had the best quality boards in town I have seen.

Thanks! Yah, I got that from Parr Lumber. I got the best stuff they had. And I assumed since they're about the largest co. in the area that they'd have pretty good stuff. But I really don't know what to look for since this isn't something we do much of..... I will try that place next time.

It is redwood Jim, the whole fence by the looks of it. Won't last very long either with redwood posts.

You talking about the fence in the original post? Or the one we built? Because the one we did is cedar.

Swampy
01-27-2011, 01:49 AM
did you leave space between the boards in the panels? So to not act as a giant sail in a wind storm.

Looks good for not doing it all the time, though from the stock photo you posted on the first has everything flush to the posts. I wouldn't have strung a pine board between the posts, would have used cedar like the panels. But hey could be added interest to it would like to see the finished pictures after you get her all stained up.

JimLewis
01-27-2011, 03:54 AM
That's all cedar that you see. No pine. I'm not sure why the lateral boards came out looking a different color like that. Those are what they call "clear grade" and they told me it was their best grade of 1" x 4"s. But yah, obviously a little different color. But it is cedar, just like the fence boards.

I wasn't happy with the color either. But I was gone when they arrived and when I got back they already had them up. I wasn't about to make my guys take them down and go back and waste half a day driving around trying to find new ones that matched better. Besides, once it gets stained (or grays out if they don't stain it) it will all look a lot closer anyway. It's all cedar so one way or another it should end up looking fairly similar.

Kiril
01-27-2011, 07:23 AM
You talking about the fence in the original post? Or the one we built? Because the one we did is cedar.

The original photo in post 1.

land_scaper70
02-09-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't know if you have done the job. But I found this on the home depot garden site, in their video libray on "how to". It looks like the same type of fence. This is the 2nd video in a series of?. Good luck. Hope it helps.

http://www.homedepotgardenclub.com/VideoLibrary/Default.aspx

weeze
01-27-2012, 12:34 AM
how do you build a fence like that? what i mean is exactly what is nailed to what? :laugh: