PDA

View Full Version : Thank You

catflyer
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I care for a waterfront property on the Westport river. The river has suffered terribly from nitrogen loading over the past 30 years. Our lawn is rather rustic by most standards. My main concern is to prevent erosion, and runoff into to the river, and provide a nice easily maintained property. I have watched neighbors spread chemical fertilizer, and can't bring myself to do it. Thanks for this forum, which I hope to utilize to grow a healthy lawn, without adding to the overload in the river. Thanks again, Brian

ICT Bill
01-07-2011, 07:59 AM
I care for a waterfront property on the Westport river. The river has suffered terribly from nitrogen loading over the past 30 years. Our lawn is rather rustic by most standards. My main concern is to prevent erosion, and runoff into to the river, and provide a nice easily maintained property. I have watched neighbors spread chemical fertilizer, and can't bring myself to do it. Thanks for this forum, which I hope to utilize to grow a healthy lawn, without adding to the overload in the river. Thanks again, Brian

Hey Brian welcome to the site, take a look at this from this old house on HAAAAAArvard YAAArd about compost teas
notice the comment on how well the trees are doing
http://www.uos.harvard.edu/fmo/landscape/organiclandscaping/landscaping_video.shtml

Kiril
01-07-2011, 08:59 AM

If you live on a body of water, you might consider putting in a buffer strip if you don't already have one.

catflyer
01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I liked the compost tea video, because it shows how simple it would be to set it up, and implement use of it. I am sure that would help a lot. The buffer is a good idea, but may be very hard to maintain. Any unmowed areas are quickly claimed by bullbrier, bittersweet, honeysuckle, and poison ivy. If I have the time, and can get a tractor with a FEL, I will work on modifying the slope down the property, making basins to catch, slow the runoff. I would do more on the riverbank, but the con com is so full of red tape it would take forever to get permits to protect the river. Thanks, Brian

Smallaxe
01-07-2011, 12:43 PM
... I would do more on the riverbank, but the con com is so full of red tape it would take forever to get permits to protect the river. Thanks, Brian

It is so funny and so sad at the same time... The gov't would have the solution so messed up that it would be worse off anyways, and you would have a constant supply of those 'natural' plants you just listed. :laugh: