PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas on truck signage

walker-talker
01-06-2011, 04:33 PM
It's almost that time of the year and I need some ideas on truck signage. Below is a poor picture of my truck bed. I want to turn this into a rolling billboard. My budget is under $500. The bed dimensions are 4' tall and 14' long. I collect grass and dump into the truck using my walker high lift system. You can see the series of 2 doors on the side of the truck that fold down. First I will describe what I would like to do, then you can chime in with any ideas.

You can see from the pics there are vertical pieces of 2x4's and hinges. I was going to take off all hardware and then going to fasten to each side, 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood horizontally. I was going to prime each side and then paint the front side with white enamel paint. Something to withstand the weather well. Upper left was going to be my logo, upper right was going to be my phone number and the bottom 8", spanning the length of the bed was going to be my web address. I can either get some stencils made for each of those 3 things, but was leaning towards vinyl graphics. I have a friend in the business and is willing to give me a decent deal. After putting on the vinyl decals I would then make the cuts I need and put on all the hardware (mostly hinges). I would then have to come back and paint the hinges where they overlap ontop of the vinyl graphics.

I got to thinking today it might be better to cover the front of the pieces of plywood with laminate (formica) instead of just painting them with an enamel. Even though I have a pole barn to park everything in, the plywood will eventually weather and will have some surface splitting.

Any ideas here? Am I missing something?

gasracer
01-06-2011, 04:40 PM
I would contact a local sign company and see what they can do.I don't think you can "wrap" it but they could do lettering. Your budget maybe a little low to do the whole thing.

walker-talker
01-06-2011, 05:38 PM
I would contact a local sign company and see what they can do.I don't think you can "wrap" it but they could do lettering. Your budget maybe a little low to do the whole thing.Yes, I mentioned that in my post. I have a buddy in the sign business and is giving me a pretty good deal, I least I think he is. The logo, which is 3' X 6' is around $50 each. The letteing for the web address is like $13 each. I am guessing the phone number will be around $20 each. So there is $170 with tax. The plywood is around $30 each, there's $130 with tax. I'm up to $300 and just need the laminate and glue. I thought about the wrap idea, but I think this would cost way too much, but would look really nice because I could actually have a design to it rather than just logo, web address and phone number.

dougdm
01-06-2011, 09:48 PM
I agree with walker-talker's signiture

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Kiss - Keep It Simple Stupid!!
(college professors' always telling us)

Personally I would keep it to name, #, and description of services offered. But it's just me. They are going to see you from a mile away anyways. Nice truck. Wish I had one.

aroddy
01-07-2011, 12:05 AM
instead of using plywood, why dont you use something along the lines of corrigated plastic. Like the little signs they put in yards to advertise for campains. It relatively cheap and you can buy it in 4x8 sheets. That way you can get it wrapped. You would have infinite choices how to design it then. Plus you would still be close to your budget and would do A LOT less work

walker-talker
01-07-2011, 12:21 AM
instead of using plywood, why dont you use something along the lines of corrigated plastic. Like the little signs they put in yards to advertise for campains. It relatively cheap and you can buy it in 4x8 sheets. That way you can get it wrapped. You would have infinite choices how to design it then. Plus you would still be close to your budget and would do A LOT less workWell, thought plywood because of it's durability, but you know that coroplast material is pretty sturdy also. I had some yard signs made up probably 8 years ago and still have one that I fastened to my trailer. I will give that some serious thought....thanks.

aroddy
01-07-2011, 12:24 AM
not a problem. Jus googled it and checked the first place I came across and a sheet was only 13.99 a sheet. Around the same price of a sheet of plywood

walker-talker
01-07-2011, 12:35 AM
not a problem. Jus googled it and checked the first place I came across and a sheet was only 13.99 a sheet. Around the same price of a sheet of plywoodThe plywood was going to be around $30 each. Actually, I would just buy the coroplast signs from my friend with the print already on them. I then just have to fasten them and cut the parts that will hinge down. I will still have to go back and paint the hinges where they overlap any art work.

jminsb
01-08-2011, 01:41 PM
I think your buddy is right on for the price to do the vinyl lettering for your truck. does that include installation or are you doing it yourself? If he is then jump on the deal. i have my own vinyl cutter that i bought on ebay and learned to do my own signs, windshield banners, etc for my own trucks. Its pretty easy to learn (not rocket science). its a hobby of mine on the side. so you may want to look into buying one then you can change designs on your truck down the road.

walker-talker
01-08-2011, 06:25 PM
I have another question for some of the fabricators out there.

If you see in the picture, towards the top of the doors I used simply bolt locks to keep the doors shut. This didn't work well. They would vibrate and come open and BAM, the door would fall down. Luckily I was never close to any cars when this happened. After it did this a few times I started pushing the doors in towards the bed and then slide the bolt over (vs. putting them in the bolt receivers). This works ok, but puts unwanted stress on the hinges.

I need a different method for doing this. Any ideas? Also, a good website to order the such fasteners would be a help. I have a Pluger brand aerator and to keep their case closed, they use a rubber strap device with a steel receiver on the other side. Seems to work well.

Agape
01-08-2011, 07:20 PM
I think your buddy is right on for the price to do the vinyl lettering for your truck. does that include installation or are you doing it yourself? If he is then jump on the deal. i have my own vinyl cutter that i bought on ebay and learned to do my own signs, windshield banners, etc for my own trucks. Its pretty easy to learn (not rocket science). its a hobby of mine on the side. so you may want to look into buying one then you can change designs on your truck down the road.

post pics of your lettering- i'm taking the side signs off my ford dump and putting them on my dodge walls and having full size signs made for the whole sides and back, it's about $600, but the work is great. I saved money on my signs on my dodge and regret it.

Timi The Sod Lover
01-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Budget wise I would just get nice letters stretched out as large as possible across the truck.
If you can afford it or maybe get payment turns from a local graphic shop it may be a worthwhile marketing investment to splurge on something captivating and wrap the thing! Around here vehicle wraps have not saturated the market (yet) so they get tremendous attention. It's paid for itself over our first season :rolleyes: