PDA

View Full Version : Help with removing low gowing juniper.

We do 4 U
08-30-2002, 11:11 PM
I have a customer that wants about 10-15 mature low growing junipers removed. My question is how do I go about getting them out? I don't have any heavy equipment, just my truck and me. I could get a truck in to take up a few, but the rest are to close to neighboors yards, beds, etc. Also can you give a rough time estimate for 1 man doing the work and equipment I might need to rent? Thanks in advance.

captdevo
08-31-2002, 11:03 AM
rent a skid steer

probably less than 3 hours, start to finish....removal & backfill.....

hard to be exact without more details

Green Goblin
08-31-2002, 01:08 PM
How low growing? Groundcover junipers come right out... Most junipers are a breeze to get out with a long spade shovel.

We do 4 U
08-31-2002, 01:14 PM
How low growing

About 1 to 1 1/2 foot tall, 3-5 feet in dia. and alot of them have growen together.

Henry
08-31-2002, 01:36 PM
Loppers, cutter/mattock and maybe a pruning saw should be enough to get them out. I would figure on a half day for 1 person to remove and haul away.

Green Pastures
08-31-2002, 01:37 PM
pickaxe, shovel, wheelborrow and a chainsaw, my 21 year old FEMALE helper and I did 14 of them in about 3 hours start to finish early this spring. Watch out for yellow jacket ground nest's!!! :eek:

Scott

PAPS
08-31-2002, 03:26 PM
Go out and rent a CAT 325 for that job.

vardener
09-17-2002, 12:12 AM
I agree with PAPS, either the CAT or quarter sticks of dynamite, one per shrub The problem with dynamite, though, is you need a blasting permit. Wait, are you out in the country?

Or you could take the sissy way out: loppers, long sleeves, gloves, and a mattox axe. You might be able to yank 'em out by hand if they are creeping juniper, if its just a low growing shrub (sounds like it is) cut all the branches off, leaving enough to grab on to, dig around the rootball with the axe, and yank 'em out. I'd give 1/2 hour per shrub. Could be less.

GarPA
09-17-2002, 05:22 AM
had a job very similar to yours in the spring...lopped off most of the branches and then dug them out with a spade...with clean up and haul away debris, i would not bid this less than 6 hours.start to finish...cleaning up seems to always take more time than we estimate..

Bob Minney
09-17-2002, 09:29 AM
I'd use a pick and shovel.
And that 1/2 hour each bid is where I'd be, plus disposal. If you can get that you should do well, they are pretty easy to remove.
Also, dont forget to sell extra's, what is replacing them, topsoil & sod/seed, mulch, new planting?

baddboygeorge
10-16-2002, 02:04 AM
a come along is the answer hook it to truck an get busy