PDA

View Full Version : Help-need advice---- zone 6--crabrass!

michaelthomas1
01-07-2011, 03:49 PM
My name is Michael--Bonded -licensed-Insured-Certified
I come to you as a learner. Need help as I am new to organic this year
Here is my question-------- here is my past app plan:
Feb--granule Dimension-19-0-6 full rate
March--spray blanket 3 way,greens fee-15-0-0
Early April--Milorganite -granule
Late April--3 way-15-0-0 spray blanket
May--Dimension-granule-full rate
grass by middle july is under stress and lots of crabgrass in july and august

New plan for 2011:
Feb.--nutrients plus-granule fert
March--blanket spray-3 way,prodiamine 1#,ict tea --all mixed
April-Compost tea,spot spray weeds
may--compost tea
june-compost tea,spot spray weeds
august-spot weed spray
sept.--aerate-fescue seed
nov.--winertize-nutrients plus

based on the new plan for zone --6 Tennessee--will the one app in March carry good results for crabgrass in late june and july or should i put another app in with the compost tea either in april or may. will the prodiamine put stress with 2nd app or not?
Wanting to go more organic --or do any of you see a better plan of apps for crabgrass doing 7 apps with aerate-seed in fall(Fescue )

Thanks --Michael

Smallaxe
01-07-2011, 05:41 PM
We don't get as hot as you do in TN. But I think the focus on NOT allowing turf stress to promote CG in the first place, may be an avenue worth investigating.
Here I mulch mow, mow high or not at all in July, avoid early spring fertilizer, and overseed at any time...
Abusive irrigation causes its own problems and has a lot to do with additional root inhibitor application, which in turn stresses the turf, by itself.
Methodology has a lot more impact, than the source of NPK... :)

JDUtah
01-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Some new post emergent pesticides work well on CG. Have you thought about applying them at ideal times? This plan could be a safety net as needed in case your pre falls short of expectations.

I have lawns that have not had pre for 3 years and had no CG. Most of that is due to proper fertility and maintenance.

On a side note: I noticed you plan to mix 3 way, pre, and ICT. I wonder how effective this would be. The 'cides could harm the ICT microbes, or even worse, the microbes could eat the 'cides, making them less effective. I do not mix microbes with my pest control... ever. You can try and see, but I personally don't do it.

Good luck working on the green side :)

ICT Bill
01-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Some new post emergent pesticides work well on CG. Have you thought about applying them at ideal times? This plan could be a safety net as needed in case your pre falls short of expectations.

I have lawns that have not had pre for 3 years and had no CG. Most of that is due to proper fertility and maintenance.

On a side note: I noticed you plan to mix 3 way, pre, and ICT. I wonder how effective this would be. The 'cides could harm the ICT microbes, or even worse, the microbes could eat the 'cides, making them less effective. I do not mix microbes with my pest control... ever. You can try and see, but I personally don't do it.

Good luck working on the green side :)

JD, I agree with the latter but do not have any data to back it up just a hunch, I think a more biologically active soil will reduce the long term "cide" efficacy, on the other hand using a biostimulant to get growth in the plant while the active ingredient is there at full strength or using a seed inoculant to stimulate seed germination while the active ingredient is there has some merit

we are in trials this year to get data on both, we have anecdotal but not 3rd party data

grass4gas
01-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Bill,

It was nice to meet you at the MANTS show. I'll be in touch. I am also going to give Barry a call as well.

Hopefully the guy I introduced you to will become a dealer for your product.

Thanks again.
Jack

NattyLawn
01-12-2011, 11:27 AM
My name is Michael--Bonded -licensed-Insured-Certified
I come to you as a learner. Need help as I am new to organic this year
Here is my question-------- here is my past app plan:
Feb--granule Dimension-19-0-6 full rate
March--spray blanket 3 way,greens fee-15-0-0
Early April--Milorganite -granule
Late April--3 way-15-0-0 spray blanket
May--Dimension-granule-full rate
grass by middle july is under stress and lots of crabgrass in july and august

New plan for 2011:
Feb.--nutrients plus-granule fert
March--blanket spray-3 way,prodiamine 1#,ict tea --all mixed
April-Compost tea,spot spray weeds
may--compost tea
june-compost tea,spot spray weeds
august-spot weed spray
sept.--aerate-fescue seed
nov.--winertize-nutrients plus

based on the new plan for zone --6 Tennessee--will the one app in March carry good results for crabgrass in late june and july or should i put another app in with the compost tea either in april or may. will the prodiamine put stress with 2nd app or not?
Wanting to go more organic --or do any of you see a better plan of apps for crabgrass doing 7 apps with aerate-seed in fall(Fescue )

Thanks --Michael

Like JD mentioned, I would not mix microbes with the weed control or barricade applications. It would probably be best to spray for weeds, then follow that up a few weeks later with a tea app to bring back some of the biological population knocked back by the weed spray.

That being said, I don't think it's a good idea to go from Feb. to Nov. without any granular apps, especially someone transitioning to more organic materials. If you could hold off until March, why not apply a Nutrients Plus with Cavalcade? Do you need to go liquid? Spray weeds in between, then tea, then another granular app come may/june. I would also go granular early and late fall apps and do a tea app in between, but that's me.

phasthound
01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Like JD mentioned, I would not mix microbes with the weed control or barricade applications. It would probably be best to spray for weeds, then follow that up a few weeks later with a tea app to bring back some of the biological population knocked back by the weed spray.

That being said, I don't think it's a good idea to go from Feb. to Nov. without any granular apps, especially someone transitioning to more organic materials. If you could hold off until March, why not apply a Nutrients Plus with Cavalcade? Do you need to go liquid? Spray weeds in between, then tea, then another granular app come may/june. I would also go granular early and late fall apps and do a tea app in between, but that's me.

Very good advice.