PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 5 speed

rcslawncare
01-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Looking at a 2007 2500 6.0 with a 5 speed. Wondering if anyone is running one and how the trannys seem to hold up. My truck is having electrical nightmares and its time to move on and get rid of it. I can get the truck for close to 12k out the door. It retails clean for 15k. It has 120k on it and runs out fine, has some decent dings, but no major damage or rust. The only thing that is weird is the hour meter is at 32 hours...? Can I hook it up to the scanner to see the actual hours or is in the cluster only. Thanks for any help!!

360ci
01-08-2011, 04:45 PM
If you take it easy with the clutch the manual should last you plenty of miles!

As for the hourmeter, if the readout is only 3 digits, then chances are it's rolled over once, so it should read 1032hrs. A scanner won't generally read display info for liability reasons. It's like saying my digital odometer no longer works, but I want to check the mileage... won't work.

hosejockey2002
01-08-2011, 07:21 PM
The readout is at least 4 digits, and possibly 5. Maybe the truck has a new engine?

360ci
01-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Hmmm. I suppose it could be possible...

Deori
01-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Looking at a 2007 2500 6.0 with a 5 speed. Wondering if anyone is running one and how the trannys seem to hold up. My truck is having electrical nightmares and its time to move on and get rid of it.

Mind if I ask what truck you're driving now? With the electrical nightmares?

rcslawncare
01-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the replies! I have a 2003 GMC 2500 quad cab. It has developed some issues within the last month like the driver power seat is backwards, when the ac is in the "on" position, its off and vise versa. Just little stuff like that and the truck keeps going into engine protection mode, and I don't feel like paying the dealer anymore diagnostic fees to find it. Plus, I really want a regular can with the long bed. Its more about the 5 speed, I know clutches go, but is the NV4500 suitable for plowing and towing on a regular basis? Thanks again for all the replies!!

360ci
01-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the replies! I have a 2003 GMC 2500 quad cab. It has developed some issues within the last month like the driver power seat is backwards, when the ac is in the "on" position, its off and vise versa. Just little stuff like that and the truck keeps going into engine protection mode, and I don't feel like paying the dealer anymore diagnostic fees to find it. Plus, I really want a regular can with the long bed. Its more about the 5 speed, I know clutches go, but is the NV4500 suitable for plowing and towing on a regular basis? Thanks again for all the replies!!

If you can handle shifting in traffic and such, a manual is fine to use. Most go auto just because it tends to be easier to plow while changing the blade position with the right hind while the left hand drives. If you can stay in 2nd gear when plowing you need not worry.

The newer Ram with the 6 speed has a super low first gear should you need it to get out of tight situations. It's just too bad you can't get it with the gas engine, but I'd take the manual and save the $2K over the autobox.

Older 5 speeds are harder to come by in terms of parts, but salvage yards should have parts-a-plenty should you require anything down the road.

Electrical issues are the hardest ones to diagnose at the best of time. If the power seat at least works, don't mess with it further.

rcslawncare
01-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Thats where Im at, looks like Im closing the deal tomorrow. Once I switch over the plow stuff and wheels, Ill post some pictures!! Thanks for the replies!!

rcslawncare
01-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Deal was closed, pictures of the new truck are in the picture forum. Its not bad plowing with at all, the only thing Im wondering is it goes into reverse after going into 5th gear first much easier than without going into 5th. Is that fine to do over and over when plowing. It wont mess up the syncro or anything will it? First work truck stick, so just wanna make sure she lasts. The whole drivetrain except the engine got Amsoil a couple of days ago, so Im resting easier knowing its all changed. The rear diff was bad...

aroddy
01-24-2011, 10:41 PM
I had a 2000 model 2500 6.0 5 speed. When I bought it with 119,000 miles. First gear was SCRATCHIN! It poped out a lot if you didn't hold it to take off. But I got a steal on it and kept driving till it finally gave out and replaced the tranny. But I replaced it at 234,500 MILES!!!! Pulled super heavy trailers and gave it strait hell. So you should be fine.

360ci
01-24-2011, 10:42 PM
It might sound silly but if the truck rolls slightly while you try to grab reverse that'll do it... Be sure to completely stop before changing gears, or stop and wait 1-2 seconds as reverse gear isn't helical cut like the forward gears, it's straight cut.

If it's anything like my older Saab, just to start it you had to have it in reverse and after 100K miles it was hard to engage without rolling it slightly as of course, the transmission was on its way out because of that.

rcslawncare
01-25-2011, 09:31 AM
It does seem better when it is completely stopped, the fastest iv gone trying to put it into reverse was like 2 mabey, just didn't know if the 5th before reverse had any negative effects. find myself doing it all the time... thanks for the info!!