PDA

View Full Version : Leaves and the homeowner

lahanko
08-31-2002, 10:04 AM
If I close off the discharge on my 52” deck will I be able to mulch leaves or will the leaves just blow out away from the deck?
I have a Toro 150, home use only.
Before the Z-Master I would just run over the leaves with the mower on the garden tractor, it wasn’t great but worked better than raking.

awm
08-31-2002, 12:28 PM
my guess is that toros blade speed is much faster so it should do the job. u might want to put gators on it. a lot o this depends on how your deck is set.good luck

Runner
08-31-2002, 09:23 PM
Of course, what works best, and I'm sure everyone here will agree, is to get them piled up. (usually by windrowing and then cutting the strips cross ways to form piles) Then, after they are in piles, (relatively), you then BACK over the piles. This way, you don't plow, AND the leaves have to work a full revolution in the deck before being discharged. Hope this helps!;)

MikeLT1Z28
09-23-2002, 11:27 AM
does toro offer the recycler on that model? i think i've seen that mower once or twice at my dealer but didn't look closely at it.

Catcher
09-25-2002, 08:38 AM
I always used to rake; when I bought my zero turn I strapped a set of Gatorz on it and made mincemeat of the leaves. I expected to see discoloration in the lawn after mowing over the red and yellow leaves, but the blades did a great job pulverizing the leaves to bits - without a mulching attachment.

HOWARD JONES
09-25-2002, 06:21 PM
Anytime you block the discharge, the air flow is obviously changed - you will have to experiment because every mower is different. You may see blowout from the front - sometimes guys add skirts, etc. The gators or other mulching blades should help. If you only have to deal with the leaves once in your area, just running over them 2 or 3 times goes a long ways toward ending the problem.