PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Solutions 2011 Stander Aerator works best on WHAT size properties...?

Exact Rototilling
01-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Ok ...I've been pondering the purchase of the LS 2011 Stander unit for 2011 or 2012 but I'd like to know what size properties does it work best on in size? For example another Co. runs a tow behind with an ATV, Tractor etc. what is the operational sweet spot [property size] for the LS Stander? Granted you will have superior maneuverability with the stander than a tow behind.

For a little background I market aeration separately from my other services. I expressly avoid properties for MOWING beyond 1/4 to 1/3. But....I do on occasion AERATE properties as large as 1.5 acres with my 2010 LS WB aerator and or my Plug 850HD. The profit margins on these properties running either of these units is below what I can make mowing lawns for time spent on 1/3 or 1/4 so I have no plans on aerating these size properties unless I have a more productive aerator. The national companies have some prices on these size lawns that are pretty low. Aeration prices here are not nearly as high in my area as what many others claim in other parts of the country. And I have absolutely ZERO interest in getting a tow behind aerator so it's add a LS Stander or just continue with my Plugr 850HD and LS WB aerator and focus entirely on tiny lawns..... the same size I currently mow. In fact in the last year I've backed off aeration specific marketing campaigns because mowing frankly brings in more money for total energy and effort spent. Aeration provides a burst of cash flow in early spring but once mowing start in full force I basically terminate any aeration marketing emphasis and focus on lawn maintenance. Fall aerations are very weak here for whatever reason.

If I was to purchase the LS Stander I would have a specific person marketing and scheduling this for me and that is essentially all they would be doing.

So what is truly the sweet spot size lawn where the 2011 Lawn Solution Stander dominates all other aerators?

Also what is the real world productivity difference between the Lawn Solutions WB and the new 2011 Stander? Five times as fast? 7 times as fast?

:waving:

grass4gas
01-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Here's my 2 cents even tho I have not even demoed one...

After seeing one of these at a trade show last week, I believe you could use this machine, once you get comfortable with it, on any size lawn that a stand on mower would work on.

If it is fairly wide open with few obstacles, I would think as small as 3000 square feet would work.

Turning and stopping need to be taken into consideration.

I too have the LS walk behind and really like it. It would be nice to have the ride on, but don't have the large lawns to warrant buying one at this time. I have thought about pushing aerations this fall, and if I could get enough jobs, it would be worth it for sure.

Exact Rototilling
01-13-2011, 11:07 AM
One of my big concerns [specifically in my area] is the incredibly rocky soil here limiting plug depth. SO the entire weight of the machine is now transferred to a rock or 2 the tines just hit. So how does that affect the machine stability [webble wobble factor] and speed? I'd really like to demo the unit in these conditions. The effective aeration path width of the unit is an additional 7" over the WB from what I can tell.

So if anybody who owns one of these units just happens to drive by my area just off Interstate 90 - beer and Pizza is on me. The property where I live is fairly large and the sprinklers are marked with marking paint for spring and there are lots of rocks just below the surface.

My Plugr 850 HD has had a very rough life here in the rocky soil :hammerhead:

RABBITMAN11
01-13-2011, 02:44 PM
I've ran the lawn solutions aerator for two years. The ride on is fully capable of aerating large or small properties. I have ran most aerators, and I feel as though the Lawn solutions dominates all others. You have to buy what fits your business. I just dont want to work hard when aerating so the Ride on has been answer to prayer. You will be happy with the lawn solutions so open your wallet....

grass4gas
01-13-2011, 03:38 PM
One of my big concerns [specifically in my area] is the incredibly rocky soil here limiting plug depth. SO the entire weight of the machine is now transferred to a rock or 2 the tines just hit. So how does that affect the machine stability [webble wobble factor] and speed? I'd really like to demo the unit in these conditions. The effective aeration path width of the unit is an additional 7" over the WB from what I can tell.

So if anybody who owns one of these units just happens to drive by my area just off Interstate 90 - beer and Pizza is on me. The property where I live is fairly large and the sprinklers are marked with marking paint for spring and there are lots of rocks just below the surface.

My Plugr 850 HD has had a very rough life here in the rocky soil :hammerhead:

Isn't the Plugr a piston driven unit? I could see where that would be a problem. It is my understanding that you can regulate the pressure over the tines to adjust for different soil types...I could be wrong tho.

As you mentioned, trying one out for yourself will answer all your questions.

americanlawn
01-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Okay .......... so why does Lawn Solutions suggest a "walk-behind" in conjunction with their "stand-on" for aeration jobs? If the stand-on unit can do it all, why does our local 'Scotts Lawn Care' carry both stand-on & walk-behind LS units on their aeration trailers? Or did they not know they could save money by just using a stand-on?

Also, last time LS was at our place, they featured BOTH units on the same trailer. We thought that was the cat's meow.

I would feel more comfortable using two units/2 guys per crew -- one for trimming, and one for open areas. We still have not seen the new TURFCO walk-behind. Hope it's better regarding transporting with tines up compared to the LS walk-behind.

Main reason is cuz of Rabbitman's testimonials regarding the LS stand-on, cuz he has much experience. Thanks buddy.

Nuther note: Others suggest a Plugr instead of the LS stand-on, but my money is on the LS stand-on unit.

our 2 cents

CHARLES CUE
01-13-2011, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=americanlawn;3855370

I would feel more comfortable using two units/2 guys per crew -- one for trimming, and one for open areas. We still have not seen the new TURFCO walk-behind. Hope it's better regarding transporting with tines up compared to the LS walk-behind.

Larry i have demoed both and they are both the same as far as transport mode tines up you have to push or go back wards. Only one wheel drives

Charles Cue

Exact Rototilling
01-13-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm revamping my marketing [thus my profits] on aeration. My goal is to increase gross sales and profits off aeration yet again this year. Everybody know a double pass aeration is better. 12 plugs per square foot vs. 6. TurfcoBob said as much in another sticky thread on the XT5 in order to do a good job this is what needs to be done. 12 plugs per square foot is better than 6.

Guess what my Plugr 850 pulls well over 9 plugs per square foot and I think it is pretty close to 12 plugs per square foot. The Ryan 28 reciprocating tri-cycle aerator pulls 12 plugs per square foot. It takes less time to run my Plugr 850 once than it does to run my Lawn Solutions WB twice over a property. In fact The Plugr 850 is actually a tad faster overall in forward speed....thus combine this with the wider aeration path it is more effective and will pull more plugs in less time. Also with the Plugr you can tighten the aeration pattern by slowing the hydro thus forcing the tines against the hydro drive used as a brake. You can also lengthen the aeration pattern a bit on the Plugr 850 and get to the hydro drive to out pace the reciprocating tines a bit resulting in tines that begin to trail vs. push the machine but this results in shorter plugs. This process is easier experienced than explained. The down side with the Plugr is it burns through tines quickly and the fiddle factor [belt adjustment - greasing etc.] is high with the 850 HD. I may buy a newer 855 HD - not 100% sure but I'm considering it. The Ryan 28 has a wider aeration pattern than the the Plugr 850 and the LS WB. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So this last season I used the 2010 Lawn Solutions WB on several properties where before I had used my Plugr 850 before and I had several comments saying "didn't your last aeration result in more plugs?" Basically a where's the beef comment. One of these comments was from an elderly customer from 2 years prior. The Plugr has more dramatic effect since plugs are popped up on top of the grass due to the tine design and yes it does crank out more plugs. The plug 850 is dream to run in a patch of non rocky soil. Not fun in rocky soil - totally different beast. In rocky soil I'd rather run the Lawn Solutions WB by a factor of 8. Why pound rocks when you can roll over them.

So with this said the Lawn Solutions Stander will deliver the deepest possible plugs due to sheer weight of the machine and operator 1,200 +. Yes plug depth is a factor as well - not just number of plugs per square foot. But in my area the rocky tight gravely ground is an issue. This is my concern and unknown wild card with the LS stander. How will it handle 1200 pounds and intermittent patches of rocky ground. One of my lawn maintence customers had huge rocks showing in her lawn - those are dinosaur egg shaped and sized rocks down there. My first house had huge rocks I had to pry out when I prep my lawn area for planting. The hydro seed Co.'s here just shoot and spray over gravel for all practical purposes. In fact I have had to abort aerations in these types of soils and tell the customer to drench the lawn and I will come back then. That is the only way you can get get any decent plugs in pea gravel type soil. This results is less profits for me [time wasted] but I want happy customers and repeat business.

The biggest gripe I get from many of my aeration customers is XYZ Co. aerated and all I got was these short lousy plugs and I had to search for them to boot.

Guess who is considering getting a Ryan 28.

grassman177
01-14-2011, 06:09 AM
we have plugrs and love them, but rocky soils can beat you to death, and of course shorten life span of the tines.

i dont think that the ride on would be near as bumpy as a cam powered aerator, you are simply rolling over it.

Service 1st Lawn Care
01-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm revamping my marketing [thus my profits] on aeration. My goal is to increase gross sales and profits off aeration yet again this year. Everybody know a double pass aeration is better. 12 plugs per square foot vs. 6. TurfcoBob said as much in another sticky thread on the XT5 in order to do a good job this is what needs to be done. 12 plugs per square foot is better than 6.

Guess what my Plugr 850 pulls well over 9 plugs per square foot and I think it is pretty close to 12 plugs per square foot. The Ryan 28 reciprocating tri-cycle aerator pulls 12 plugs per square foot. It takes less time to run my Plugr 850 once than it does to run my Lawn Solutions WB twice over a property. In fact The Plugr 850 is actually a tad faster overall in forward speed....thus combine this with the wider aeration path it is more effective and will pull more plugs in less time. Also with the Plugr you can tighten the aeration pattern by slowing the hydro thus forcing the tines against the hydro drive used as a brake. You can also lengthen the aeration pattern a bit on the Plugr 850 and get to the hydro drive to out pace the reciprocating tines a bit resulting in tines that begin to trail vs. push the machine but this results in shorter plugs. This process is easier experienced than explained. The down side with the Plugr is it burns through tines quickly and the fiddle factor [belt adjustment - greasing etc.] is high with the 850 HD. I may buy a newer 855 HD - not 100% sure but I'm considering it. The Ryan 28 has a wider aeration pattern than the the Plugr 850 and the LS WB. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So this last season I used the 2010 Lawn Solutions WB on several properties where before I had used my Plugr 850 before and I had several comments saying "didn't your last aeration result in more plugs?" Basically a where's the beef comment. One of these comments was from an elderly customer from 2 years prior. The Plugr has more dramatic effect since plugs are popped up on top of the grass due to the tine design and yes it does crank out more plugs. The plug 850 is dream to run in a patch of non rocky soil. Not fun in rocky soil - totally different beast. In rocky soil I'd rather run the Lawn Solutions WB by a factor of 8. Why pound rocks when you can roll over them.

So with this said the Lawn Solutions Stander will deliver the deepest possible plugs due to sheer weight of the machine and operator 1,200 +. Yes plug depth is a factor as well - not just number of plugs per square foot. But in my area the rocky tight gravely ground is an issue. This is my concern and unknown wild card with the LS stander. How will it handle 1200 pounds and intermittent patches of rocky ground. One of my lawn maintence customers had huge rocks showing in her lawn - those are dinosaur egg shaped and sized rocks down there. My first house had huge rocks I had to pry out when I prep my lawn area for planting. The hydro seed Co.'s here just shoot and spray over gravel for all practical purposes. In fact I have had to abort aerations in these types of soils and tell the customer to drench the lawn and I will come back then. That is the only way you can get get any decent plugs in pea gravel type soil. This results is less profits for me [time wasted] but I want happy customers and repeat business.

The biggest gripe I get from many of my aeration customers is XYZ Co. aerated and all I got was these short lousy plugs and I had to search for them to boot.

Guess who is considering getting a Ryan 28.

The Ryan 28 is a nice machine although not perfect, if you have hard soil with large rocks you better hold on because it will throw the machine in the air. Also found my self adjusting the chains often, to the point where there was no more adjustment. Then was time to buys new chains because they has stretched.

Exact Rototilling
01-14-2011, 11:57 AM
we have plugrs and love them, but rocky soils can beat you to death, and of course shorten life span of the tines.

i dont think that the ride on would be near as bumpy as a cam powered aerator, you are simply rolling over it.
That's what I'm not sure about? Your riding along with the LS stander and unit is set at a specific depth and then you hit a patch of rocky soil? You're on of the machine...not behind it? Throw in a side hill? The ground here is like that ....very inconsistent then all of a sudden a rock fest below the surface. The Ryan 28 is a nice machine although not perfect, if you have hard soil with large rocks you better hold on because it will throw the machine in the air. Also found my self adjusting the chains often, to the point where there was no more adjustment. Then was time to buys new chains because they has stretched.

How long have you had the Ryan 28? Honda engine? How has it held up long term other than chains? Does it have a reverse or is it a tug fest to back up? I'm aware of hills being tricky with it being a trike. The sheer weight of the machine helps it pull better plugs than the plugr from what I understand...I could be wrong?

Service 1st Lawn Care
01-14-2011, 12:57 PM
That's what I'm not sure about? Your riding along with the LS stander and unit is set at a specific depth and then you hit a patch of rocky soil? You're on of the machine...not behind it? Throw in a side hill? The ground here is like that ....very inconsistent then all of a sudden a rock fest below the surface.

How long have you had the Ryan 28? Honda engine? How has it held up long term other than chains? Does it have a reverse or is it a tug fest to back up? I'm aware of hills being tricky with it being a trike. The sheer weight of the machine helps it pull better plugs than the plugr from what I understand...I could be wrong?

No longer have the unit, I think it had a Wisc. Robin engine which ran good no problems. There is no doubts it pulls great plugs, other then chains was a good unit. Good luck

americanlawn
01-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks buddy - transporting the LS walk-behind tended to be cumbersome for us, as we had to keep both "front" wheels on the ground at all times in order for it to move. But once the tines were in the ground, things seemed to be okay. While it was challenge on uneven surfaces regarding transporting it into place, we really had no problem with the LS "stand-on" regarding moving it from "point A to point B". (Thanks David)

We have never demo'd a Plugr. Our local Plugr dealer says they will "beat you to death", but he was referring to a Plugr "walk-behind unit".

Regarding guys saying tines wear out ..... I'm guessing that's "good" cuz the tines are working hard, pulling plugs, and making money. Kinda like, "The cutting edge on my snow plow has worn out" >> that's cuz it was making money. If the tines did not wear out ........... :confused:

[QUOTE=americanlawn;3855370

Larry i have demoed both and they are both the same as far as transport mode tines up you have to push or go back wards. Only one wheel drives

Charles Cue