PDA

View Full Version : How far would you go?

srl28
01-10-2011, 11:08 PM
This is tricky, but without going into many details, we again have an opportunity to take on 6 or 7 large commerical accounts for a client. Some of the properties are about 50 miles away from us at the most. So my question is this, how far would you go, taking into consideration that its more or less a package deal worth quite a bit of business meaning more profit, cashflow, and growth for your company.

SNAPPER MAN
01-11-2011, 12:44 AM
I would definatley drive 50 miles as long as it is a full day of work. We have some accounts 45 mins away and we drive that far three days a week. IMO it's only worth it of you are there all day.
Posted via Mobile Device

gasracer
01-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I agree if you have enough work to dedicate a whole day to it yes.

fl-landscapes
01-11-2011, 10:12 AM
more importantly is that it is a day of PROFITABLE work. As long as the numbers work and your making the profit you need to account for wear and tear on equipment and vehicles to get there and do the work.

srl28
01-11-2011, 03:15 PM
True.

These would be large commercial sites. 45 miles would be the furthest one and there would be others along the way. Yes enough to make a full day at least. One location isnt a full days work but a few or all of them within the 50 miles certainly would be. If that makes sense.

DistinguishedLawn
01-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Just look at it as every other job...is it worth it. Don't lose money on that one job just to get the rest of them, unless the rest of them are making you enough "additional profit" to cover that far away job. Or build a little fluff into the other properties so they help share the cost of that one property that is a long drive.

Just think, in July you're still going to be driving to that 50-mile job. There's nothing worse than feeling like you're wasting time, labor, money, or opportunity use of equipment in hindsight. IMO, I'd drive 75 miles a day to work if the client is paying for the drive time.

rokko17
01-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Stuck valve or mainline break. "My grass looks bad" or "there is a dry spot." I would make sure to have enough in the bid to cover or ease those 4pm Friday afternoon calls and hand holding a worrisome property manager. A company I worked for had a few that were a day and over an hour away. They were profitable especially on re-mulching and other extras. But those "emergency" drives and meetings sucked.