PDA

View Full Version : 36" or 40" Toro Grandstand

StihlBR600
01-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Im looking at getting a grandstand next summer either a 36" or a 40" for those picky customers that dont like the big zero turns. I dont know what deck size to go with. My gut tells me to go with the 40" because it will probably be more stable on hills. Anyone who has experience with grandstands please comment

Thiggy
01-11-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't have experience with either but I am looking at purchasing an Exmark 36" which is basically the same mower as the Toro. I am looking at the 36" as it will allow me to get through just about any gate.

lawnprofrench
01-16-2011, 07:05 PM
I have a 52" Grandstand and a 40" Grandstand. They are both great, I bought the 40" over the 36" for a couple reasons, the 40" is shorter in total length and trailer space is always tight. It also has larger tires for a bigger footprint that helps stabilty. I have been very happy with mine and look forward to getting a third one this year. Good luck this season.

StihlBR600
01-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Yeah that confirms my thought on the 40 over the 36.

Bob_n_weave
01-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I would buy the 40", unless the area's you work in have 36" gates.

StihlBR600
01-16-2011, 10:54 PM
No im not worried about getting through gates. So i think the 40 will be perfect

PTP
01-16-2011, 11:25 PM
If your customers do not like the big mowers, getting a 36" or a 40" will not help. Both of those mowers will have more weight per square inch than a 48" or larger grandstand.

I would simply stay away from both of those mowers. The 36" will tend to tear the turf when turning because it is quite long compared to the width of the wheelbase. That means that the inside wheel has to really bite into the turf in order to swing the front end around. I have a 36" Toro WB as well as a 36" Grandstand and the WB does not give me those issues.

The 40" Turboforce does not do well in long, wet conditions. The 36" will run like a champ but the 40", because it is a 3 blade design on a relatively small deck, is going to plug up a lot faster. Do a little search on this site and you will find lots of info about that.

Bob_n_weave
01-16-2011, 11:51 PM
If your customers do not like the big mowers, getting a 36" or a 40" will not help. Both of those mowers will have more weight per square inch than a 48" or larger grandstand.

I would simply stay away from both of those mowers. The 36" will tend to tear the turf when turning because it is quite long compared to the width of the wheelbase. That means that the inside wheel has to really bite into the turf in order to swing the front end around. I have a 36" Toro WB as well as a 36" Grandstand and the WB does not give me those issues.

The 40" Turboforce does not do well in long, wet conditions. The 36" will run like a champ but the 40", because it is a 3 blade design on a relatively small deck, is going to plug up a lot faster. Do a little search on this site and you will find lots of info about that.

That's interesting.
I bought the Toro 36" walk behind b/c it's much lighter than my 48" Grandstand. I can take it on very wet turf without doing damage, and it get's me through the small gates.

Manorscape
06-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Realize the 40" uses 3 smaller blades and the 36" 2 larger blades...same ones off of a 52"

Search around for the con's of 3 tiny blades vs. 2 larger.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
06-21-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure about where you are operating but the code for gates used to be 36" but was changed the 40". Granted there are still those gates put in before the code was changed but take your pick I guess.