PDA

View Full Version : electric start quick question!

mbean408
01-11-2011, 02:15 PM
hi, i am currently looking at a wb with an electric start. My question is: the battery for the electric start is exposed, (there is no weather cap on it) if the battery terminals ger wet will it ruin the electric start. I keep my equipment indoors, but just like with any open trailer setup, sometimes my equipment is ran in light rain, and sometimes gets hit with rain while on the road.
do you guys know of any caps that i can buy to protect the terminals or should i just run the mower the way it is.

matt

Elks
01-11-2011, 02:23 PM
should be fine. I have an exmark walk behind that gets wet some and is prob 8 yrs old.

gasracer
01-11-2011, 02:44 PM
You can buy a battery box at the Auto parts store.

Robert Pruitt
01-11-2011, 02:55 PM
i have two machines that are exposed to the weather,but are covered with a tarp.

fatboynormmie
01-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Your battery will be ok if it gets wet every once in a while.You could get a tube of some die-electric grease or silicone from the auto parts store and smear it on the terminals and it will help with corrosion.Using the die-electric grease on all the male and female plugs along the wire harness also helps keep moisture out.Just unplug one at a time and smear alittle die-electric and plug them back up.Caution do not overpack the plugs because if you do you could hydraulic the pins out of the plugs. A wet wire harness will give you more problems then a wet battery.

Patriot Services
01-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Slather them down with terminal protectant from the auto parts store. Dries weatherproof and prevents corrosion
Posted via Mobile Device

MOHUSTLER
01-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Ditto on the electric greese. It will save you alot of stress in your life.