PDA

View Full Version : Can someone give me the ins and outs on workmans comp

jay12
01-11-2011, 02:41 PM
I have spoke with insurance agents on adding workers comp and paying help the way I am supposed to. Can someone enlighten me on workmans comp all around, I know little to none about it. I just know I have to have it. What should it cost per hundred for lawn maintenance, what do I need to do, etc. Any information would be great, thanks.

Skyking
01-11-2011, 06:56 PM
http://www.bearwiselandscapers.com/

zturncutter
01-11-2011, 07:50 PM
http://www.bearwiselandscapers.com/articles/topics/workerscomp/

I don't know whether or not they write policies in Kentucky.

Az Gardener
01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Be sure you read the rate classifications and choose the one that fits your service. We followed the "agents" direction after answering a few questions and come to find out after 8 years we have been paying the wrong rate. To the tune of 30-K :dizzy: more than we should have. We are now in the process of trying to get it refunded.

The only way we found out was while doing our do diligence on a another company we were trying to buy. We thought their work comp numbers were low but come to find out ours were too high all those years.

fl-landscapes
01-11-2011, 08:44 PM
the gov puts it in and out frequently and hard.....that about sums up the ins and outs of workmans comp:dizzy:

Robert Pruitt
01-12-2011, 11:23 AM
you really don't need it if you are Solo.

jay12
01-12-2011, 05:05 PM
you really don't need it if you are Solo.

If I was solo I wouldn't be asking

cade03
01-12-2011, 08:11 PM
you should be able to get coverage for around 8.00 per hundred of payroll for general lawn maintenace and gardening. stay away from tree work, that will more than double your rate. if you have to do tree work, make sure that you have specific emplyees that are listed to do this work and not just everyone on your crew. it wouold be a good idea to list the exact amount of those employees pay that was earned doing tree work. everyjob has a different rate and you can exempt yourself and any other officers in the company. that way you dont pay anything for your personal pay. good luck

Robert Pruitt
01-12-2011, 09:05 PM
If I was solo I wouldn't be asking

my bad did not see that in your profile.

jay12
01-13-2011, 09:31 PM
my bad did not see that in your profile.

No problem

All the quotes I am getting are telling me that general lawn maintenance will cost me around $10.00 per hundred. Thats the best rate so far atleast, some were higher.

zturncutter
01-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Just was quoted 3.47 on the hundred today. I know each state is different but thats a lot a dough ;)

cade03
01-14-2011, 11:08 AM
mt work comp is wioth a company called Companion. got with them through my local ins. agency. good luck

jay12
01-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Well thats kind of what I was thinking. Ive heard several people say they were around 3.50 to 4.00 a hundred. The absolute best Ive found is just a shade under 10.00. Anyone know somewhere maybe I should call and check?

PiRiskMgmt
02-04-2011, 05:13 PM
All Work Comp Rates will differ from state to state. However, the rates will also differ from insurance company to insurance company. I live in Oklahoma and specialize in insuring the horticulture industry. I have had a lot of success lately with The Hartford, Liberty Mutual and Hortica. The trick is finding an agent who has contracts with these companies. You could probably call Hortica direct and they will have someone call you. Hortica is a great company based out of Illinois that only writes the Horticulture industry and their rates are always very competitive. Ask the agent what markets he/she went to. That way when you shop with another agent they wont go to the same market. No need to get two quotes from the same company. If you have any other questions let me know. Oklahoma Work Comp rates for Maintenance have been in the 6.75 to 7.5 range lately.

prezek
02-05-2011, 12:24 AM
I am much lower. I am at around $2 if I'm not mistaken. I'll double check...

lawnman_scott
02-05-2011, 09:23 AM
No problem

All the quotes I am getting are telling me that general lawn maintenance will cost me around $10.00 per hundred. Thats the best rate so far atleast, some were higher.

The rates should all be the same. The rate is set by the state so any that are higher dont go with. Some have a minimum policy though. Say the rate comes to $1000, well many have a min so they will carge you $4, or 5000 sometimes for the same thing. I would google your "state, workmans comp rates, classifications" and go from there. Just don't over pay, because it is for nothing and chances are you will be dropped by them with the most minimal claim.

gasracer
02-05-2011, 09:46 AM
I think Tn. is $6.67 per $100(rating for Lawncare).There is a minimum cost of $750 a year. That covers around $11,000 worth of payroll.

grass-scapes
02-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Hartford has a plan, through intuit/quickbooks payroll I think, that is pay as you go.

My rate is 9.50 per hundred. I don't use the pay as I go plan, I pay monthly with an audit at the end of the year.