PDA

View Full Version : Is chlorine in the water killing my nematodes?


aclane2000
01-11-2011, 07:33 PM
So if you have to de-chlorify water before you can make good compost tea, does it stand to reason that I may be killing off some of the good stuff in the soil by irrigating it with our cities chlorinated tap water?

tadhussey
01-12-2011, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about it, as there's so much organic matter in the soil relative to the levels of chlorine that you'll be fine.

ICT Bill
01-12-2011, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about it, as there's so much organic matter in the soil relative to the levels of chlorine that you'll be fine.

I agree with Tad, most city water is 4 PPM chlorine just a bit of organic matter wipes it out

mikesturf
01-14-2011, 03:28 AM
From other posts I've seen and Youtube videos others have said to let your water bubble for 1-3 hours before adding ingredients to "aerate" the chlorine away.

poolboy
01-14-2011, 06:28 AM
3-5 ppm, the same amount to maintain a swimming pool.

phasthound
01-14-2011, 08:01 AM
From other posts I've seen and Youtube videos others have said to let your water bubble for 1-3 hours before adding ingredients to "aerate" the chlorine away.

You can add a small amount of humates or acetic acid to immediately neutralize the chlorine.

Tim Wilson
01-14-2011, 11:14 AM
You can add a small amount of humates or acetic acid to immediately neutralize the chlorine.

I think you mean ascorbic acid my friend. I do that all the time.

Bubbling does not work that well. I once bubbled 50 gallons for 8 hours and it still had chlorine odor.

phasthound
01-14-2011, 01:16 PM
I think you mean ascorbic acid my friend. I do that all the time.

Bubbling does not work that well. I once bubbled 50 gallons for 8 hours and it still had chlorine odor.

Thanks Tim. I'll just call it Good old Vitamin C from now on.

tadhussey
01-14-2011, 01:50 PM
I think you mean ascorbic acid my friend. I do that all the time.

Bubbling does not work that well. I once bubbled 50 gallons for 8 hours and it still had chlorine odor.

I have a horrible sense of smell, but I've had no problems with letting the water sit out or bubbling that I'm aware of. I've made teas and then looked at them under the scope and they were fine, however I've never done a side by side to see if they would have been even better with a non-chlorinated source or a different method of dechlorination.

mikesturf
01-14-2011, 04:54 PM
I think you mean ascorbic acid my friend. I do that all the time.

Bubbling does not work that well. I once bubbled 50 gallons for 8 hours and it still had chlorine odor.

How many grams of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) would you recommend for 50 gallons?

mikesturf
01-14-2011, 05:03 PM
I think you mean ascorbic acid my friend. I do that all the time.

Bubbling does not work that well. I once bubbled 50 gallons for 8 hours and it still had chlorine odor.

How many grams of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) would you recommend for 50 gallons?

tadhussey
01-14-2011, 05:09 PM
How many grams of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) would you recommend for 50 gallons?

http://www.vita-d-chlor.com/Calculator_Reservoir.htm

ICT Bill
01-14-2011, 07:04 PM
How many grams of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) would you recommend for 50 gallons?

as a friend of mine use to say "it don't matter, a little is fine and more is fine too"
I have a suggestion add a bit of compost or something organic to the mix and it will get rid of the chorine or choramine

starry night
01-15-2011, 10:39 AM
as a friend of mine use to say "it don't matter, a little is fine and more is fine too"
I have a suggestion add a bit of compost or something organic to the mix and it will get rid of the chorine or choramine

Bill'
You forgot to mention the old sock, yesterday's newspaper, or the partridge from the pear tree. :laugh: