PDA

View Full Version : Kids

Robert Pruitt
01-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Dose anyone else think it is odd that these fourteen to sixteen year old have all new equipment and new trucks? maybe i am doing something wrong.

h2oskier
01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Maybe you should try getting one of those kids parents to adopt you that may help the situation.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wecutgrass
01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
its because if they have 20 lawns, there making bank because they have no bills to pay or anything so they can spend all there money on new mowers and what not.

KS_Grasscutter
01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
That's what I did, when I still lived at home I bought a bunch of equipment since I had nothing else to spend money on.
Posted via Mobile Device

cvcook
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
that's what's wrong with kids these days, rich parents go out and buy their 16 y o kids $50k trucks,! and when they tear them up, Daddy will pay to fix it! They need to teach their kids the value of a dollar!........just sayin!

dhardin53
01-12-2011, 01:34 PM
So true, Most likely they have not found a steady girl friend. A women can change a lot of equipment needs.

mowerbrad
01-12-2011, 01:56 PM
It is absolutely amazing to me what some kids have these days. I'm not that old now, but when I was in high school and buying my first truck, I paid $2200. When I bought my first ztr at 16, I spent $5000 on a used one and that was a lot of money to me, so I had saved up for that for a while.

Now, I look at some of my friends and their parents bought them cars. I have one friend (known him since I was in elementary school) who had his license for maybe a month or so when he turned 16, then got in a head-on accident (his fault). He was driving a '95-ish ford explorer, crossed the center line and hit head-on into a hummer. Ended up having surgery. Well, long story short...after he was healed up his parents bought him a 1 or 2 year old 2005 ford expedition, pretty loaded too.

My mom works at my old high school, so anytime I stop over there I take notice of what is parked in the parking lot. I was amazed. There were newer chevy tahoe's, lincoln navigators, a hummer, bmw's, a couple mercades, etc. Now, not all were these high end cars, but there were quite a few.

I don't think that some of these kids know the real value of a dollar. Heck, some of these kids probably won't have a job until they are half way through college.

davidcalhoun
01-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Reminds me of what I keep telling my kids:

LIFE IS NOT ALWAYS FAIR.

alexschultz1
01-12-2011, 02:29 PM
im freshly out of college, during highschool all my of friends parents had bought them brand new trucks and paid for everything that they wanted, now that we are out of school they all look at me with my new truck and steady cash flow and ask me how i managed to get it all... No **** sherlock, when you were driving around in your new car i was out making my own money, now that your out of school and you dont have mommy and daddy to pay for everything life tends to become a little more challenging. maybe you should look at all of us in the real world and take some notes.

M & MD Lawn
01-12-2011, 02:43 PM
I think the same thing, I wonder sometime if I'm doing something wrong also. Now I am only 19 but i mean D@mn, 16 year old with brand new trucks and some diesels at that! Now I am the first to say that my truck was originally my fathers and it is now mine but its a 97, however eventho it was "given" to me i treat it like i bought it and i value it like I will never get another. And as for mowers, dad when I first started he helped when i bought my rider which was was 5000. I had 3500 he added 700 and then put 800 on his credit card and I paid the credit card portion off in a month or 2 (paid him weekly) and my big trailer he bought as part of my birthday when i turned 16. but beyond that I have paid for it, odds and ends he pays for as he is my partner so he wants to feel he is putting in but its voluntary i dont ask. We as kids dont learn anything by having everything given to us, although we do like "gifts" every now and then. But however I do agree that when others come up and ask how do you "own your own company" or "how can i make money like you"............ get out and work, it doesnt come over night, took me 7 years to get where i am today

cvcook
01-12-2011, 04:01 PM
It is absolutely amazing to me what some kids have these days. I'm not that old now, but when I was in high school and buying my first truck, I paid $2200. When I bought my first ztr at 16, I spent $5000 on a used one and that was a lot of money to me, so I had saved up for that for a while.

Now, I look at some of my friends and their parents bought them cars. I have one friend (known him since I was in elementary school) who had his license for maybe a month or so when he turned 16, then got in a head-on accident (his fault). He was driving a '95-ish ford explorer, crossed the center line and hit head-on into a hummer. Ended up having surgery. Well, long story short...after he was healed up his parents bought him a 1 or 2 year old 2005 ford expedition, pretty loaded too.

My mom works at my old high school, so anytime I stop over there I take notice of what is parked in the parking lot. I was amazed. There were newer chevy tahoe's, lincoln navigators, a hummer, bmw's, a couple mercades, etc. Now, not all were these high end cars, but there were quite a few.

I don't think that some of these kids know the real value of a dollar. Heck, some of these kids probably won't have a job until they are half way through college.

Or worse, after they get out of college!:hammerhead:

Dogbonz
01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
See it everyday on the school bus. Kids with $300 dollar cell phones, $150 gameboys,, ipod's ect. Even a 4th grader with a cell phone!!!

Robert Pruitt
01-12-2011, 09:08 PM
read one post yesterday that his mower was superior to all others, and does not have a problem with blow out or clump when cutting wet grass. gotta have one of those.

mowerbrad
01-12-2011, 09:17 PM
See it everyday on the school bus. Kids with $300 dollar cell phones, $150 gameboys,, ipod's ect. Even a 4th grader with a cell phone!!!

I've seen 2nd graders with cell phones. Some of these elementary school kids even have blackberry's, droids, iphones, etc. What the heck do 9 year olds need a cell phone for?

rdharris
01-12-2011, 09:22 PM
looks like the parents are to blame :nono:

Robert Pruitt
01-12-2011, 09:28 PM
looking forward to seeing them operate the trimmer while trying to hold there pants up.

rain man
01-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Yep. Evenso, they better enjoy it while they can 'cause money and/or youth doesn't last forever.

rdharris
01-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Im on both ends of this one. I'm 22 in college. At 16 my parents did buy me a new s10 blazer. At 18 I bought my truck, sold the blazer and returned what I got back out of it to my parents. So yes I was spoiled, but at their request.

944own
01-12-2011, 10:21 PM
I will never forget last summer I was cutting one of my accts in a real nice subdivision and this guy is a great customer but he has 2 boys probably around 8 to 10 yrs old they were out in the front yard with their ipads laying in the mulch I just put down soaking wet and just did not even care.LOL

meets1
01-12-2011, 10:21 PM
I don't get it either. Parents are to blame I think. I have been bashed here b/f about kids in the biz. But what is the biz? There grade school to high school kids. I mow. I go to school, play sports, go with friends, oh hey I need to go mow. Go mow the 20 yards and there good for the week

Lets talk insurance - I was just audited again for our insurance for the year. Not good having yougens on the payroll - pretty limited to use ot equipment - now those with there own biz I no for a fact (insurance audit dude) says alot or parents co-sign or they go without till something happens.

NOw I did start out this way as well. But I had 30 cents that dad gave me - i still don't no why but that is all I have ever gotten from the parents. But that is a good thing. I c so many young people wanting what dad and mom have when they worked all these years and maybe are able to offer these things now.

But cutting grass is no rocket science but I run a quality, top notch outfit. Everyone starts somewhere, life is not fair at all, and this biz can be very humbling.

so for the youngens out there - keep up good work, appauled you for actually working and remember to keep your cool.

Robert Pruitt
01-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I lost a upper end account last year because of the economy. daddy went out and bought the big John Deere lawn tractor to cut about half an acre. looks like crap with all the clippings blown to the center of lawn. no trim,no edge and no blow. maybe i'll get it back.

GreenI.A.
01-13-2011, 01:27 PM
It's agravating sometimes but I try to keep an open mind because I have no clue how hard that kid works. For example I grew up and my parents had more than enough but didn't splurge on us, my father would tell us kids that "WE aren't rich, Him and Mom are rich". They both grew up dirt poor and worked there asses off so they tried hard to instill that in us. My older brother and sister were each bought a $2k pice of s**t car when they started driving, I made a deal with him and he would match anything I saved up for a car. He figured I would save a couple of grand, turned out I worked my ass off for two years and had 10k saved up, he was so impressed with me that he more than doubled it I got a brand new loaded silverado. I treated it good because I had invested more than 10k of my hard earned money in it. As far as insurance and gas went, there policy was if we worked part time while in school then they would cover our bills, we had to work part time for our own spending money/cash, and we never attemted to ask for more money to go out with our friends. There policy continued right up thru college so none of the three of us had an excuse not to go. I'd say it worked in the long term, one child is a partner at one of Boston's largest law firms, another is an executive for one of the countries largest financial firms, and then there is me

chipk1
01-13-2011, 01:32 PM
What I think is odd is the 15 and 16 year old kids (boys) watching my mow their lawn! Kids now days are just spoiled rotten! Can't even get out and mow their own lawn. Mommy and daddy have to pay someone to do it for them. Wow. I was born to early.....!

exmark user
01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Well I'm 16 you can see what I have in my signature, all this stuff was paid for in cash. I have no bills that is why I have this stuff I play no sports just work 7 days a week and sinkall money in my business.Its what I love and what I enjoy doing and pride myself in equipment and business.

Patriot Services
01-13-2011, 01:41 PM
I started working legitimate jobs at 15. Stocking at an auto parts store. Spent Buffalo winters hooking, fueling and starting semi's as part of my mechanic apprenticeship. Graduated hs at 17 and was in the military by that August for the next 20 years 8 months. Worked for and eventually st arted lco's in several states. 43 now and no intention of stopping yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Robert Pruitt
01-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Well I'm 16 you can see what I have in my signature, all this stuff was paid for in cash. I have no bills that is why I have this stuff I play no sports just work 7 days a week and sinkall money in my business.Its what I love and what I enjoy doing and pride myself in equipment and business.

What about insurance,herb and pest license,fuel. you are not old enough to have these. on top of this what about school?

MOturkey
01-13-2011, 02:17 PM
The first car I bought was a 1963 Plymouth 4 door for a whopping $1,000. My folks paid half, I didn't ask them to, but they did, after that, it was my baby and I paid for tires, fuel, repairs, insurance. Everything. I learned pretty quickly to take care of what I had, because it cost me if something broke. I believe all kids should be raised the same way, but few do it today.

exmark user
01-13-2011, 02:17 PM
What about insurance,herb and pest license,fuel. you are not old enough to have these. on top of this what about school?

I am curently getting insurance on my business.
there is a gaden center that teaches the and gives you license and I am going to take there class in a few weeks.
Fuel I buy diesel and gas at the station with my money and pay my insurance by bills I meant like house payment or equipment payment I owe non of these just fuel and insurance.I pull my trailer to school get out at 245 work till dark i have 1 person who works for me full time right now we leave fter school and knock out 10 residentials then on weekends 20 on saturdays and a little on sundays AI bust my @ss but enjoy every minute.

GreenI.A.
01-13-2011, 02:29 PM
there is a gaden center that teaches the and gives you license and I am going to take there class in a few weeks.
Fuel I buy diesel and gas at the station with my money and pay my insurance by bills I meant like house payment or equipment payment I owe non of these just fuel and insurance.I pull my trailer to school get out at 245 work till dark i have 1 person who works for me full time right now we leave fter school and knock out 10 residentials then on weekends 20 on saturdays and a little on sundays AI bust my @ss but enjoy every minute.

couple things I always try to tell the guys under 18, have your insurance company give you in writing a letter saying they know you are a minor and they will cover you to 100% of the policy anyways. Get this from the actual insurance provider company not just your agent. Insurance companies will be glad to take your money but will often claim they don't have to pay out when a claim is made by a commercial minor.

OSHA regs also state that many pieces of equipment and job duties cannot be done by a minor, including the chainsaw on your sig. Also many states say minors cant drive comercial vehicles, many insurance companies say no minors driving company vehicle as well.

Drop a tree on someones house and insurance can claim you were in OSHA violations = you screwed
Get in an accident driving a commercial vehicle many insurance co say no = you screwed
no commercial plates and you get in an accident, police describe the vehicle as containing landscaping equipment = insurance sees accident report, looks into it further = you screwed because personal auto policy doesnt have to pay for a truck used for commercial purposes.

not trying to be an ass, just want to be sure you are aware of this

mowerbrad
01-13-2011, 02:36 PM
My neighbors across the street from me have two sons, one in middle school and one in high school. And neither of those boys do any work around the house. Their father does all the work. He goes out and rakes the leaves, mows the lawn, snowblows/shovels driveway, etc. The dad does this all while the kids are playing with the neighbors, riding their bikes, gone to the beach, etc. What are those kids learning?

Growing up, I came from a white collar family, it was that way until I was 6 and my parents got divorsed. After that, we moved to my mom's home town and then I started living in more of a "blue collar" family. I think this is what really made me realize that I had to work for what I wanted.

I'm not ashamed to say that I still live with my mom, I'm only 20. I'm very dutch, so any way that I can save money, I usually take full advantage of. But since a young age, I've been taught that things aren't going to be given to me in life, I actually have to work for what I want.

alexschultz1
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
i love it when i go to talk to my client and a kid above 16 answers the door. a couple things come to my mind when this happens
1- they are really lazy
2- they are spoiled
3- they lack any sort of masculine bone in their body

correct me if im wrong but when i was 16 i could mow my grass, rebuild an engine, and fix almost anything in the house. Its part of being a man isnt it? now most of these kids might as well put on an apron and start doing the dishes because they are useless in almost everything that has to do with manual labor.

exmark user
01-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Well around here you dont have to be 18 to drive a commercial vehicle

GreenI.A.
01-13-2011, 03:42 PM

I would still check with your insurance company (not the agent) and get in writing that they are aware of your age and they will fully cover your policy. Be sure to cover your a$$

exmark user
01-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah I wil be sure I was told Its gona run me around 600 a year . I am sure of the commercial thing due to I have a freind and when he was a minor he was puled over alot by a state trooper who love to bust people like him like not having the right tag because he was over weight like he had an h3 tag and may have been over 100 pounds and he would get a ticket just ridicoulois stuff

elitefox
01-13-2011, 04:54 PM
i love it when i go to talk to my client and a kid above 16 answers the door. a couple things come to my mind when this happens
1- they are really lazy
2- they are spoiled
3- they lack any sort of masculine bone in their body

correct me if im wrong but when i was 16 i could mow my grass, rebuild an engine, and fix almost anything in the house. Its part of being a man isnt it? now most of these kids might as well put on an apron and start doing the dishes because they are useless in almost everything that has to do with manual labor.
+1 :clapping::clapping:

Did you research and call the ins company YOURSELF or is this based off your friend who doesn't seem all that bright himself???? Might wanna listen to 'ol boy cause an accident can cost you $10,20,30k or way more instead of $100-200 a month..

Funny how you knew EVERYTHING by 18 (I know I did lol) but once you got older you realized you knew chit

GreenI.A.
01-13-2011, 05:55 PM
+1 :clapping::clapping:

Did you research and call the ins company YOURSELF or is this based off your friend who doesn't seem all that bright himself???? Might wanna listen to 'ol boy cause an accident can cost you $10,20,30k or way more instead of $100-200 a month..

Funny how you knew EVERYTHING by 18 (I know I did lol) but once you got older you realized you knew chit

I posted this story in a thread where we were all tearing apart a guy who was insisting he didn' need insurance. We had a guy up here that was pulling his landscape trailor with a truck with out comercial plates/commercial insurance. He blew a tire and lost control in a 55mph road right infront of a lexus dealership. Plowed right into some cars and caused more than 400,000 in damage to the vehidles he hit. The cop wrote in his report that he was obviously doing commercial work with his trailer, so his insurance wouldn't cover it and the dealer sued him. He tried to fight it saying it was his personal trailer and he used it to transport equipment to do his mothers lawn for free. The courts werent stupid and he lost, he lost everything and had to file bankruptcy.

To top it off, the IRS found out and he was audited. Because his wife did the books they were both liable. this was both of their income, after losing everything they could not afford their morgage, and the house was foreclosed on. Luckily for them they didnt go to rison for tax evasion, they are both on probation until they pay back the IRS for backed taxes + fees.

M & MD Lawn
01-13-2011, 08:39 PM
I posted this story in a thread where we were all tearing apart a guy who was insisting he didn' need insurance. We had a guy up here that was pulling his landscape trailor with a truck with out comercial plates/commercial insurance. He blew a tire and lost control in a 55mph road right infront of a lexus dealership. Plowed right into some cars and caused more than 400,000 in damage to the vehidles he hit. The cop wrote in his report that he was obviously doing commercial work with his trailer, so his insurance wouldn't cover it and the dealer sued him. He tried to fight it saying it was his personal trailer and he used it to transport equipment to do his mothers lawn for free. The courts werent stupid and he lost, he lost everything and had to file bankruptcy.

To top it off, the IRS found out and he was audited. Because his wife did the books they were both liable. this was both of their income, after losing everything they could not afford their morgage, and the house was foreclosed on. Luckily for them they didnt go to rison for tax evasion, they are both on probation until they pay back the IRS for backed taxes + fees.

I have a question. What of you are under the weight limit for commercial vehicles like I am, do you need commercial plates, of I'm not mistaken here in indy they just changed the weight to like 10 or 20 thousand pounds, can't remember which. I have commercial insurance for my trailer and ALL equipment but the truck is personal, I also have workers comp policy too. So would this mean I need commercial insurance on the truck?
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
I have a question. What of you are under the weight limit for commercial vehicles like I am, do you need commercial plates, of I'm not mistaken here in indy they just changed the weight to like 10 or 20 thousand pounds, can't remember which. I have commercial insurance for my trailer and ALL equipment but the truck is personal, I also have workers comp policy too. So would this mean I need commercial insurance on the truck?
Posted via Mobile Device

the weight limit is DOT not insurance wise, vehicles used for the operation of a business should have commercial plate. Those vehicles with a GVW of 10,000 lbs or more are regulated by DOT and need a commercial vehicle inspection along with DOT numbers displayed and must legally carry certain items such as flares/safty reflectors to place in road if broken down, fire extinguisher, first aid kit. DOT is regulated federally and individual states can tighten the restrictions further than the fed laws.

As far as the commercial plates go while on a vechle under 10k gvw, you are not regulated by DOT. The issue is using a personal vehicle for business use and having an accident. there are two types of auto insurance - personal and commercial. If you get in an accident driving a personaly insured vehicle for commercial use and the insurance company finds out they can deny the claim.

onlythebest
01-13-2011, 10:04 PM
my parents have yet to buy me a thing.. most they have LENT me was a thousand bucks for my first aerator... since then i have bought everything else my self paying cash. heck i have probably spent around 5000 on my parents in the last year. buying them a two LED tvs a laptop and random stuff when we are at stores..
lol sorry to go off topic.

SouthSide Cutter
01-13-2011, 10:13 PM
the weight limit is DOT not insurance wise, vehicles used for the operation of a business should have commercial plate. Those vehicles with a GVW of 10,000 lbs or more are regulated by DOT and need a commercial vehicle inspection along with DOT numbers displayed and must legally carry certain items such as flares/safty reflectors to place in road if broken down, fire extinguisher, first aid kit. DOT is regulated federally and individual states can tighten the restrictions further than the fed laws.

As far as the commercial plates go while on a vechle under 10k gvw, you are not regulated by DOT. The issue is using a personal vehicle for business use and having an accident. there are two types of auto insurance - personal and commercial. If you get in an accident driving a personaly insured vehicle for commercial use and the insurance company finds out they can deny the claim.

Not all states are the same on regulations. In. is not the same now as they were the first of last year.

dgfitz
01-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Dose anyone else think it is odd that these fourteen to sixteen year old have all new equipment and new trucks? maybe i am doing something wrong.

No you ain't, been happening for years. I grew up buying my own musical
equipment and booking my own shows simply because my father was blinded
in the Korean war and could barly aford me much less my equipment. When I
turned eighteen, I fooled around and was drafted into the Army,was wounded
before I turned nineteen, spent two lousy years recovering, came home to a wrecked economy, and restarted myself all over again while most of my school
friends were already buying new homes. Those kids you mention just might be
my grandkids, and I sure as hell enjoy spoiling them.

justanotherlawnguy
01-14-2011, 01:14 AM
you know how many kids I see on a daily basis with new trucks and equipment running lawn businesses?

zero, so why is this topic constantly beat to death on here?

Robert Pruitt
01-15-2011, 12:22 PM

Don't know how Tn works most states licsnses are done through the county ag. system. you may get credit hours at a garden center. who knows.

2brothersyardcare
01-15-2011, 01:49 PM
i was given a troy bit trimmer and volvo i pay 4 the volvo and im buying a truck my self and this season will be my first year with a wb i mow like 30 acounts

exmark user
01-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Don't know how Tn works most states licsnses are done through the county ag. system. you may get credit hours at a garden center. who knows.

I guess so but im going to do it whatever it takes.:weightlifter:

Patriot Services
01-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Are language arts classes an elective now?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mountain Peak
01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Are language arts classes an elective now?
Posted via Mobile Device

I was thinking the same thing........

MDLawn
01-15-2011, 02:23 PM
you know how many kids I see on a daily basis with new trucks and equipment running lawn businesses?

zero, so why is this topic constantly beat to death on here?

I think I agree with this. I don't see many young (under 20) guys driving around in crew cab diesel trucks with 24' enclosed trailers with all new ztr's. Even if they were and their parents bought it all for them....who cares. I think anybody would take a freebie, and please dont give the whole I like to earn everything I have blah blah blah. If anyone was to win a prize from a landscape drawing that included mowers, tractor, trimmers, etc.. they would take it. You arent turning that down. Imagine being able to start a business with top notch equipment that you dont owe a dime on!!! I'd take that! Most of the young dropouts here are driving beat to death trucks, well used & uncared for equipment, doing work for nothing. I think most spoiled wealthy kids get sent to college and don't mow lawns. But there is always someone who breaks the mold.

The problem lies in mowing itself. If a young kid, spoiled or poor, wants to make his own money what are his business options? No one in their right mind would hire a 16 year old plumber, home improvement contractor, concrete contractor, auto mechanic, etc.. unless it was a contractors son working for that contractor and most towns wouldn't issue a general contractors license to a minor. But mowing.....what is the first image that comes to mind for people with someone mowing their lawn? The KID down the street.

Half the time I feel that the majority of these threads on lawnsite, especially in the mowing section, are written by real young guys asking about what ONE trimmer to buy, not "I'm looking to buy 25 trimmers what brand has been most economical and efficient?", or what ONE handheld blower is better, etc.. More interested in equipment picture threads rather than business management. I mean you see the comments like "Sweet setup" and in the picture is a GMC Jimmy with a 5 x 10 trailer, one mower, one trimmer, one blower. Everyone starts somewhere but no real business person in lawn & landscape would say that. Or heckling the legit guys to keep posting pics of their dump truck that they already have 10 pics posted????? Mowing just attracts this. And even when the legit guys try to help with info about management and business practices they still just want to see pictures.

So its not the kids fault, its mowing. It lends itself to this type stuff because of the ease of entry. Ok rant done! Good luck to all in 2011!!

Patriot Services
01-15-2011, 02:38 PM
I can't tell an age half the time. They have a hoodie pulled up in the cab. Good look if your "Unabomber Lawn Service".
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
01-15-2011, 02:47 PM
I think I agree with this. I don't see many young (under 20) guys driving around in crew cab diesel trucks with 24' enclosed trailers with all new ztr's. Even if they were and their parents bought it all for them....who cares. I think anybody would take a freebie, and please dont give the whole I like to earn everything I have blah blah blah. If anyone was to win a prize from a landscape drawing that included mowers, tractor, trimmers, etc.. they would take it. You arent turning that down. Imagine being able to start a business with top notch equipment that you dont owe a dime on!!! I'd take that! Most of the young dropouts here are driving beat to death trucks, well used & uncared for equipment, doing work for nothing. I think most spoiled wealthy kids get sent to college and don't mow lawns. But there is always someone who breaks the mold.

The problem lies in mowing itself. If a young kid, spoiled or poor, wants to make his own money what are his business options? No one in their right mind would hire a 16 year old plumber, home improvement contractor, concrete contractor, auto mechanic, etc.. unless it was a contractors son working for that contractor and most towns wouldn't issue a general contractors license to a minor. But mowing.....what is the first image that comes to mind for people with someone mowing their lawn? The KID down the street.

Half the time I feel that the majority of these threads on lawnsite, especially in the mowing section, are written by real young guys asking about what ONE trimmer to buy, not "I'm looking to buy 25 trimmers what brand has been most economical and efficient?", or what ONE handheld blower is better, etc.. More interested in equipment picture threads rather than business management. I mean you see the comments like "Sweet setup" and in the picture is a GMC Jimmy with a 5 x 10 trailer, one mower, one trimmer, one blower. Everyone starts somewhere but no real business person in lawn & landscape would say that. Or heckling the legit guys to keep posting pics of their dump truck that they already have 10 pics posted????? Mowing just attracts this. And even when the legit guys try to help with info about management and business practices they still just want to see pictures.

So its not the kids fault, its mowing. It lends itself to this type stuff because of the ease of entry. Ok rant done! Good luck to all in 2011!!

You do have a very good point of view. Who wouldn't take "freebies"?...I know I've won stuff in contests, got free samples, been given gifts...I always accept them. But I think the main thought behind this thread (I think) is that by kids given everything that they want when they are young, it doesn't really teach them any life lessons. Its more the principle behind all of this. There really is a fine line between spoil kids and rewarding them.

MDLawn
01-15-2011, 02:55 PM
You do have a very good point of view. Who wouldn't take "freebies"?...I know I've won stuff in contests, got free samples, been given gifts...I always accept them. But I think the main thought behind this thread (I think) is that by kids given everything that they want when they are young, it doesn't really teach them any life lessons. Its more the principle behind all of this. There really is a fine line between spoil kids and rewarding them.

Oh I know. But how many lawn care people come from spoiled families? Not knocking lawn care but all my spoiled wealthy friends and myself (although not spoiled and wealthy) went to college and are now doctors, CEO type, or professionals, These friends now hire lawn care services. I mean I didnt have friends that drove BMW's or Mercedes but got new vehicles. I do this part time and just because I've done it so long I can't let it go :)

Clark Griswold
01-15-2011, 07:46 PM
The parents are buying their kids friendship!

Parents don't want to parents anymore, they just want to be their best friend so they buy them what they want, mostly so the kids don't beat up on them!

Patriot Services
01-15-2011, 07:51 PM
The parents are buying their kids friendship!

Parents don't want to parents anymore, they just want to be their best friend so they buy them what they want, mostly so the kids don't beat up on them!

Well you want to make sure they put you in a nice nursing home when you become a burden.
Posted via Mobile Device

jasonc0203
01-17-2011, 02:51 PM
I can relate to both sides of the story.Growing up I came from a well off family, my father ran a huge concrete company and I will admit I was pretty damn spoiled. Got picked up from middle school in a brand new porsche, spent alot of time fishing on our 48' viking sport fish and so on. I am 23 years old and when I was 19 I was a estimator and sales for my dads company. In the blink of an eye, really my dad comes in my office and says, dont come in to work tomorrow I have to shut it down.......You may wonder what went wrong? Four years prior to this my parents got divorced and costed my dad well over a million bucks out of pocket in the process. Long story short kept it going four more years but couldn't recover. Now, since that day I have learned very hard and quick what its like to have to go out and get it on my own. To be honest I got my mower and started bout 2 years ago and I thought it would be a cake walk. I work my a$$ off and learned real quick that business takes time and is not easy. Everyyear is a struggle since that day but all I can do is stay focused, work hard and ill get there. Looking back growing up like that was nice, but its not real life. Always count your blessings cause trust me, it can hit the fan and be taken away really damn quick.

Dogbonz
01-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Guess who will be using a pre nup when ever THEY get married!

goose2
01-17-2011, 08:40 PM
that's what's wrong with kids these days, rich parents go out and buy their 16 y o kids $50k trucks,! and when they tear them up, Daddy will pay to fix it! They need to teach their kids the value of a dollar!........just sayin!
Sounds like some jealousy there my friend.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

MDLawn
01-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Sounds like some jealousy there my friend.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That would be envy. :) and A LOT of us suffer from it

bc3xx0
01-18-2011, 01:15 AM
I think it is now considered better to be flashy than profitable. Everyone can see your rig, they can't see inside your books!!! Just show off your equipment and lie about your income and that's all there is to it!!! As long as you look awesome on the webz, that is all that matters!

I rarely see kids in big flashy rigs. I see more adults that go out and buy a lot of top dollar equipment and start up a failing from the get go business!

Showpropserv
01-18-2011, 01:44 AM
I've seen 2nd graders with cell phones. Some of these elementary school kids even have blackberry's, droids, iphones, etc. What the heck do 9 year olds need a cell phone for?

ohh come on now calender girls both here and PS:laugh::drinkup:

betterlawnsandlandscaping
01-18-2011, 02:20 AM
I like to focus on what i am doing, instead of the next kid down the street. Who cares, I have my own kids to lead in the right direction. Chit on what other parents have and what they can give their kids.

MOHUSTLER
01-18-2011, 09:43 AM
My dad bought me my first trailer and grasshopper when I was 16. I bought the truck to pull it. And it allowed me to get one big job that I could not have done without his help. Granted it was not a brand new high end grasshopper it was a smaller 52" cut and a used trailer. Not a brand new Diesel mower and 18' enclosed trailer.

Which allowed me to get my foot in the door, Now I sell equipment and would not be anywhere near where I am today without his startup help.

If someone tells you that thier parents have never helped them out, and they have done all of this on thier own they are sadly mistaken. Everyones parents have helped them out along the way.

And I tell my dad all the time that trailer and mower were a heck of alot cheaper then 4 years of college. :laugh:

exmark user
01-18-2011, 09:46 AM
My parents have not bought me anything, the only thing I get is pat on the back!

Showpropserv
01-18-2011, 02:46 PM
ignorance is bliss we all know your story

MOHUSTLER
01-18-2011, 03:21 PM
My parents have not bought me anything, the only thing I get is pat on the back!

Growing up did you live in a carboard box on the highway right a way? NO roof over your head or anyhing? No food or clothes, Your life must of been horriable.

exmark user
01-18-2011, 04:22 PM
I mean my truck or equipment, of course they gave me clothes and a house to live in I just meant equipment. sorry for the misunderstanding.

nolanjim
01-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Everyone should be blessed if they have a parent to care for them and believe in them. Everyone has different ways they do things so just worry about your way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Robert Pruitt
01-18-2011, 04:58 PM
I have been out of my parents house at sixteen because I could not follow their rules. while some of my friends were dropping out of high school,not me. could not understand why with one year to go. went on to graduate from A&P school. back then Piedmont Airlines was paying for the school if you worked for them for at lease five years. back then had a sixty four impala, and shacked up with some friends until i could afford to be on my own.

exmark user
01-18-2011, 05:14 PM
robert why do you need 4 mowers for a solo operation I could see 2 but 4!

Robert Pruitt
01-18-2011, 05:34 PM

the Great Dane is for rough mowing now.and plugging and back up. John Deere,Toro,and little Deere.all for finish mowing. all paid for by me.

Patriot Services
01-18-2011, 05:45 PM
My father gave me few "things", he did give me a great work ethic and taught me mechanical skills. I also learned the importance of integrity, back when a handshake and a word meant something.
Posted via Mobile Device

Robert Pruitt
01-18-2011, 05:53 PM

I see you have two mowers & two trailers. are you pulling both of them at the same time? also what insurance company would write a policy on a sixteen year old. and also how about insurance on your employee working after school. have not seen yours pictures. where are they?

exmark user
01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I see you have two mowers & two trailers. are you pulling both of them at the same time? also what insurance company would write a policy on a sixteen year old. and also how about insurance on your employee working after school. have not seen yours pictures. where are they?

the little trailers was what i used to use, now i just use it for hauling smalll stuff. You can get insurance on your business because my freind did at 16 I have uploaded my thread many times and it is now under my new trailer and blower and not new truck look on the pics thread probaly on 2 or 3 page!:hammerhead:

head_start
01-18-2011, 10:58 PM
this is always an interesting topic for me to read, darn age group stereotype. oh well, what you going to do?

mowerbrad
01-18-2011, 11:28 PM
the little trailers was what i used to use, now i just use it for hauling smalll stuff. You can get insurance on your business because my freind did at 16 I have uploaded my thread many times and it is now under my new trailer and blower and not new truck look on the pics thread probaly on 2 or 3 page!:hammerhead:

That is not true. At 16 you can not legally own a business, I don't care what state you live in, its the same all over the country. Since you can't legally own a business at 16, you can't legally get insurance for your "business". Sure, you can be the kid who goes around and mows lawns, but you can't incorporate your business under your name since you are a minor. Thus, no insurance for you.

I know you're young and don't particularly like being told you're wrong. Yes, it sucks to be told you're wrong, but life's tough. You can't go by what has happened to your friend, you probably don't know the whole situation...his parents are probably somewhere on his insurance. If your friend was an emancipated minor, then its a totally different situation.

My suggestion to you, is to take a step back from this site. Do some reading on here, learn from what has already been posted. No one is expecting you to know everything, start reading about topics that interest you. You will really learn a lot. There are many great members on here who have posted some very valuable information to help new people like yourself. There is lots to learn, especially for someone who is young like yourself. I'm not saying that I know it all, but from reading what you post on this site, it does seem like you could really spend time reading and obtaining more info.

Precision Cuts
01-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Well i can relate to this topic. I am 19 and have a successful lawnservice. Growing up i watched all my friends become spoiled and got what they wanted and never had to work. Well it wasnt that easy for me so i had to do something on my own to beable to have the things they had. So thats when i started mowing junior year in highschool with dads riding mower saved up my money baught a used ztr mower and a nice truck. Now the first 2 years may not have been the most legal but i also wasnt cutting highend accounts are commercial accounts are telling people i had insurance it was just a way to make money and not have rely on mom and dad. Right after i graduated i became a legit business with insurance and all and here i am now with a newer f-250 3 ztrs 16' trailer and two workers that are completely legal. Yes i pay workmens comp have insurance and everything. And no mom and dad have not pd for anything business related but they have taught me the most important things my work ethic and how to survive on my own. So not all tenneagers with nice rigs are spoiled some just arent college material and only have interest in manual laber.

TLC96
01-19-2011, 12:05 AM
im 16 but i dont have a new truck i gotta 96 Z71 with 332,000 miles that i pull my 6x12 all steal trailer even steal floor mobile home axle all i have is a yard machine 46'' paid 500 for it so i dont have much

TLC96
01-19-2011, 12:27 AM
im 16 and i drive a 96 Z71 with 332,000 miles on it and pull my 6x12 all steal even floor of trailer is 1/4 steal with mobile home axle everyday no ztr but a 500 dollar riding mower and a 2200 dollar exmark metro and stilh fs 55r and thats all i have but i dont complain i love to work

soloscaperman
01-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Well i can relate to this topic. I am 19 and have a successful lawnservice. Growing up i watched all my friends become spoiled and got what they wanted and never had to work. Well it wasnt that easy for me so i had to do something on my own to beable to have the things they had. So thats when i started mowing junior year in highschool with dads riding mower saved up my money baught a used ztr mower and a nice truck. Now the first 2 years may not have been the most legal but i also wasnt cutting highend accounts are commercial accounts are telling people i had insurance it was just a way to make money and not have rely on mom and dad. Right after i graduated i became a legit business with insurance and all and here i am now with a newer f-250 3 ztrs 16' trailer and two workers that are completely legal. Yes i pay workmens comp have insurance and everything. And no mom and dad have not pd for anything business related but they have taught me the most important things my work ethic and how to survive on my own. So not all tenneagers with nice rigs are spoiled some just arent college material and only have interest in manual laber.

Your heading in the right path in life. DON"T GET INTO DRUGS OR DRINKING OR TOO MUCH WOMEN! I see my friends that do well but it takes one small thing to change the course of there path.

exmark user
01-19-2011, 01:08 AM
the trucks in my dads name and my name is on the title along with it too! I paid for 100% of that truck !

Clark Griswold
01-19-2011, 01:17 AM
That is not true. At 16 you can not legally own a business, I don't care what state you live in, its the same all over the country. Since you can't legally own a business at 16, you can't legally get insurance for your "business". Sure, you can be the kid who goes around and mows lawns, but you can't incorporate your business under your name since you are a minor. Thus, no insurance for you.

I know you're young and don't particularly like being told you're wrong. Yes, it sucks to be told you're wrong, but life's tough. You can't go by what has happened to your friend, you probably don't know the whole situation...his parents are probably somewhere on his insurance. If your friend was an emancipated minor, then its a totally different situation.

My suggestion to you, is to take a step back from this site. Do some reading on here, learn from what has already been posted. No one is expecting you to know everything, start reading about topics that interest you. You will really learn a lot. There are many great members on here who have posted some very valuable information to help new people like yourself. There is lots to learn, especially for someone who is young like yourself. I'm not saying that I know it all, but from reading what you post on this site, it does seem like you could really spend time reading and obtaining more info.

Perfect advise Brad, couldn't have said it better myself & that VID is incredible!

Hey Exmark User, have you ever copied & pasted anything on your computer before?

We all here would like to see your PICS but you need to add a link to them so we don't have to go hunt for them somewhere else, or just re-post them on this thread, it's that simple!

Good Luck

JoeHop6299
01-19-2011, 01:26 AM
When I was sixteen I didn't have crap. Worked every day to pay for a junk car.

nolanjim
01-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Kids want to work and earn a living. You have to respect that no matter who buys the equipment..
Posted via Mobile Device

exmark user
01-19-2011, 08:16 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=337860

my pics just a few all my stihl equipment is in storage because i dont have a closed garage

93Chevy
01-19-2011, 12:48 PM
My parents have been very generous to me, but they've taught me how to appreciate what I have. When I was 16, I paid $3200 cash for a 1990 F150, then I sold that truck bought a '93 K1500 for a couple grand more, then sold that truck and bough my '95 K2500. They've never bought me a vehicle, but they've helped me out with bills throughout high school and college. They paid for my college education also. The only thing I can do to show I appreciate it was to work hard, get "good" grades, and now they want me to sell my business and get a desk job...I don't know about that, but there's only so much I can do to say "thank you."