PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Viking

mslawn
01-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I ordered a 36" cut this morning. I wanted to try something different in terms of decks compared to our 36" turf tracer and 34 phazer, they both have a tendancy to blow out leaves out the right front of the deck when mulching. If you have one, how does the deck on the viking compare in terms of blowout and does it do a good job of mulching leaves? It looks like the same deck that is on a Metro 36.

Roger
01-12-2011, 10:17 PM
I have had an Exmark Viking for 15 years. I assume the new ones have the same TriVantage deck. I have not looked at one in years, ... surprised they still are making them.

I bought a mulching kit many years ago. My intent was to use it for one mowing job. But, mounting the kit, and removing it, takes about 20 minutes, each operation. This was simply too much time. I used a 21" hand mower to save time. Clippings needed to be controlled for tree circles and beds. Also, the resulting cut was not acceptable. The surface was just left with too many stringers.

I did use the mulching kit sparingly for one season for leaves. It worked fine, but the mount and dismount times were killers.

For many years now, I use a chute blocker for heavy leaves. For blades, I use a low-lift Gator blade. Yes, I get blowout, but I'm not very concerned. I know that I will also get a row along the right side. The chute blocker takes 30 seconds to mount/dismount. My intention is to make this a first pass, and I will make a cross pass with discharge afterwards.

Blowout, or no blowout, will depend greatly on which blade you use. I low-lift (or a non-existent lift) will probably give you little, or no blowout. But, it may also pass right over leaves without sucking them up for mulching. Moderate life blades will probably produce blowout for leaves.

I'm sorry to be so vague. But your blade selection will be key for success on blowout.