PDA

View Full Version : Salesmen

sandy creek
01-12-2011, 05:35 PM
do any of you have full time salesmen? If so how is it working out for you?

GreenI.A.
01-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't (yet), but have worked in that position for a few large companies. If you can afford it, it is deffinetly a benefit as long as he is an honest guy. It's nice when a company has a dedicated person to deal with the prospective customers to get the sale and to contact them for future sales. It takes a big load off your plate where you as the owner only need to step in if there is some type of service issue or he needs a little help closing the sale.

Just be sure he is honest, some guys just want to look good with sales numbers so they undercharge to get the sale. Next thing you now your crew is showing up to a job they exect to only take a hour and they end up needing to be there for half the day. Plenty of guys will debate on whether to pay comision or not, it can be an incentive to go out and find more work, but also leed to the salesman not properly qualifing the work aswell (he'll promise the customer the yard will look like Pebble Beach after one visit). i'm a fan of a more longterm incentive commision, where the salesman gets paid on a retention rate as well. This way they are setting up long term clients instead of short term customers.

DiscoDave
01-13-2011, 08:57 PM
I am currently a salesman for the company I work for.... it has worked out VERY well for the owner. My advice... when/if you find a good salesman, take good care of him and he will take very good care of you.

sandy creek
01-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Disco, how are you set up? straight salary, salary plus comission? Any other perks your company does for its reps?

DiscoDave
01-16-2011, 03:24 AM
Disco, how are you set up? straight salary, salary plus comission? Any other perks your company does for its reps?

Salary plus commission. I would not be interested in salary only.

I have very few perks, my commission is below industry standards and my salary is just OK... which is why I am exploring other opportunities.

To give you an idea of some of the pay plans I have discussed with other prospective employers...

Option 1. Small local company. $44,000.00 salary, 3% to 10% commission depending on profit margin of sale, company vehicle, laptop, cell phone, insurance and 401k.

Option 2. Large company. $60,000.00+ salary, annual bonus based on company profitability and contribution, company vehicle, cell phone, insurance and 401k.

Option 3. Selling as an independant contractor for several companies. 100% commission of 10% to 25%. I generate my own leads, marketing and sales tools and pay for 100% of own expenses.

cdqat1432
01-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Is there any info that I can read on this? I am interested in this concept. Has anyone read anything written by the moderator, Sean Adams? Also, where are you located, Dave?

earthly
01-22-2011, 10:52 PM
A good sales person will pay for themself, the trouble is findng a good one.

Have you guys in OH heard of Grunder Landscaping, I hear that they do really nice work?