PDA

View Full Version : Lockdown 21 mower?

Knight511
01-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Short of a chain and lock (which I will do if I have to), is there a product made to secure (from theft) a 21 inch mower on an open trailer? I currently Jungle Boots to keep them in place, but would like to be able to lock down the nice new, expensive commercial mower so I can worry a little less about it while it is not in my sight.

Thanks!

Agape
01-13-2011, 03:09 AM
Short of a chain and lock (which I will do if I have to), is there a product made to secure (from theft) a 21 inch mower on an open trailer? I currently Jungle Boots to keep them in place, but would like to be able to lock down the nice new, expensive commercial mower so I can worry a little less about it while it is not in my sight.

Thanks!

If I leave my trailer, I run a cable through the handles of all my equipment and lock the ends to include the chain for one of my ramp pins, so the pin can't be removed, same as a chain tho.
post pics of what you find.

gasracer
01-13-2011, 11:03 AM
I found using a bike cable and lock works great.You wrap the cable around the bottom of engine and put the U-shaped lock over the side of the trailer and mower handle with the cable on it. You can also just use the cable and a padlock.Unless I am using a machine everything on my trailer stays locked up.A small size receiver lock works on the gate pins too.

ALC-GregH
01-13-2011, 11:55 AM
I must be lucky. I forgot my blower at a customers place sitting by the street! When I realized I forgot it, it was the next day. Drove over and there it sat. All my accounts I can see my truck/trailer while working. That or I'm on private property where they'd have to literally walk 100+ft to get to it. My biggest concern is when I go inside a store or something where I can't see the rig.

Agape
01-13-2011, 12:08 PM
was looking at trailer racks .com, but by the time I buy locking racks for every thing I'm on my way to an enclosed trailer in cost.

Knight511
01-13-2011, 05:46 PM
The mower is the last thing I have no locked up. I am a partime, so I actually use a car to tow my small trailer right now, so I luck out and can drop blowers and such in the hatch of the car. I only worry because there are several properties that have the privacy wooden fences... not a big deal... I will just stash the mower in the backyard with me when I go to trim and such.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on it already...

gasracer
01-13-2011, 05:52 PM
The mower is the last thing I have no locked up. I am a partime, so I actually use a car to tow my small trailer right now, so I luck out and can drop blowers and such in the hatch of the car. I only worry because there are several properties that have the privacy wooden fences... not a big deal... I will just stash the mower in the backyard with me when I go to trim and such.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on it already...

If you are pulling your trailer with your car you must not have anything but a push mower.

Agape
01-13-2011, 06:16 PM
yeah, crooks don't actually steal stuff that is worse than what they've already got.

StihlBR600
01-13-2011, 06:34 PM
I must be honest its be hard to steal a 21 in. push mower off of a trailer (unless you dont have sides) do you leave your equipment outside overnight or something?

Agape
01-13-2011, 08:16 PM
I must be honest its be hard to steal a 21 in. push mower off of a trailer (unless you dont have sides) do you leave your equipment outside overnight or something?

Yeah, and by the way;what is your exact address? lol :laugh::laugh:

Knight511
01-13-2011, 08:23 PM
If you are pulling your trailer with your car you must not have anything but a push mower.

Yes, I know... that makes me a lousy person and a horrible lawn guy. A fly by night scrub with no business in the business... or it could mean that I had a truck and everything before, got out for a while, and now I am getting back in and don't really want to drop $30K on a new truck while I don't have the customer base to support spending money I don't have. A truck is in the plans... just not in the cards. :D

Anybody who has seen my posts knows that I am a part-timer... ;) it isn't something special. And with weight restrictions on cars (up to 2000lbs towing now), you can actually do quite a bit with them. ;) Oh and... I get 21mpg while towing on regular unleaded fuel... fancy that?

Knight511
01-13-2011, 08:25 PM

I don't have sides on my trailer because I am just getting things rolling in the business again and didn't want to spend more than I needed. My trailer doesn't make me money while I am just building. I have a pretty inexpensive trailer with short sides, so I worry about my mower while I can't see it while I am out on site... the equipment and trailer all gets to stay in the nice, warm, dry garage at home while my car gets to sleep on the drive way. :)

Agape
01-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Yes, I know... that makes me a lousy person and a horrible lawn guy. A fly by night scrub with no business in the business... or it could mean that I had a truck and everything before, got out for a while, and now I am getting back in and don't really want to drop $30K on a new truck while I don't have the customer base to support spending money I don't have. A truck is in the plans... just not in the cards. :D

Anybody who has seen my posts knows that I am a part-timer... ;) it isn't something special. And with weight restrictions on cars (up to 2000lbs towing now), you can actually do quite a bit with them. ;) Oh and... I get 21mpg while towing on regular unleaded fuel... fancy that?

maybe I'll get a Geo to do accounts, LOL
I thought about getting an economy truck (Toyota/Ranger/mazda)for weekly and use my dump for big jobs and 1X cleanups/Barkdusting when gas is $5

Knight511
01-13-2011, 11:00 PM
It really is about perspective... I seem to like that word tonight. Why pay for something I don't need? I don't do hardscapes and I don't do LARGE accounts... I do residential lawns... that is why I am a part-timer and have been for 17 years. Not one of my customers has EVER had a problem with my tow vehicle from a beat ass Isuzu PUP to my current car... I don't need to tow a lot, so I can save on gas in my "everyday" use.

As things grow, I know I will need a bigger vehicle and will get one at that time. I just don't subscribe to the idea that I must have big everything to be successful. Keep my overhead low, pay for stuff with cash, and grow instead of trying to fill "big company" pants on my tiny company foundation. :) Trying to not fail at this... doing very well so far!

bladesnshades
01-30-2011, 01:12 PM
It really is about perspective... I seem to like that word tonight. Why pay for something I don't need? I don't do hardscapes and I don't do LARGE accounts... I do residential lawns... that is why I am a part-timer and have been for 17 years. Not one of my customers has EVER had a problem with my tow vehicle from a beat ass Isuzu PUP to my current car... I don't need to tow a lot, so I can save on gas in my "everyday" use.

As things grow, I know I will need a bigger vehicle and will get one at that time. I just don't subscribe to the idea that I must have big everything to be successful. Keep my overhead low, pay for stuff with cash, and grow instead of trying to fill "big company" pants on my tiny company foundation. :) Trying to not fail at this... doing very well so far!

Like your PERSPECTIVE!:laugh:

Frank's Lawn Care
01-31-2011, 12:50 AM
I also tow with my car. Sold my truck to buy my kid a new car. 3 yrs later i lost my job and started mowing. Wife bought a new car so Taurus is mine. I pull a 5x8 trailer with racks 21" mower and 36" wb. this yr how to put a walker mbk 42" mulcher on.(sell 36")When i can pay cash i'll buy a truck. At $50-$75 an hr i'll get there in a couple yrs.lol oh and my gas for car and 32+ cuts a week is only $75+ a week.

Cajun Cleanin'
01-31-2011, 04:02 AM
yeah, crooks don't actually steal stuff that is worse than what they've already got.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: