PDA

View Full Version : Now I think I am getting lazy in Florida

williams lcm
01-12-2011, 06:25 PM
With all of the freezes and cold weather I think I am getting quite lazy. I love it . I have not edged or weed wacked in about 2 months. Shrubs and grass have not grown. I just make a few passes with the mower and then go. Just to make some noise. I do have some properties with leaves that need to be mulched, but that is it. I will have a hard time getting back to the routine when the grass gets growing again. It is easy just to mow and go without all the walking involved. Usually my feet and legs are tired by days end. My neighbors have not mowed their lawn since early Nov.

QualityLawnCare4u
01-12-2011, 06:40 PM
You caught the same bug I have. Today I did three yards, did not even fire up a weedeater and was thinking to myself "why can't it be like this in June, this is going to make me lazy" LOL. When I finished felt like I had done nothing but gotten a little cold since it was 28 this morning. I will take this over 108 anyday!

starc
01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
I plowed snow here in Canada near Niagara Falls Ontario :(

h2oskier
01-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Is McDonalds looking like a option.:laugh::laugh:

billslawn89
01-12-2011, 07:11 PM
ya.. i've been out this week and only mowed 4 lawns and that was cuz of the leaves. some lawns i have not mowed since the week of christmas, and some the first week of december, but i am stopping by each of my clients yards to make an appearance and edge the driveway and walks and clean things up. another hard freeze for us in southwest florida tonight and tomorrow, so that should turn the new green grass that started growing, back to brown. nice to sit around and get paid, but ya, its getting boring.

lifetree
01-12-2011, 08:30 PM
... it was 28 this morning. I will take this over 108 anyday !

Wow, I would prefer warm weather to cold weather !!

QualityLawnCare4u
01-12-2011, 09:39 PM

Actually I feel much better and have more energy working in the cold than I do in miserable 100 degree with 90% humidity, that totally zaps my energy. I can put on enough clothes to stay warm but can't take off enough legally to get cool.

ed2hess
01-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Actually I feel much better and have more energy working in the cold than I do in miserable 100 degree with 90% humidity, that totally zaps my energy. I can put on enough clothes to stay warm but can't take off enough legally to get cool.

Yep I agree with that. It was 33F this morning and was just perfect for digging trenches for installing irrigation. We have had an almost perfect winter so far only a couple times down to a little bitty freeze.

Landscape Poet
01-12-2011, 11:00 PM
With all of the freezes and cold weather I think I am getting quite lazy. I love it . I have not edged or weed wacked in about 2 months. Shrubs and grass have not grown. I just make a few passes with the mower and then go. Just to make some noise. I do have some properties with leaves that need to be mulched, but that is it. I will have a hard time getting back to the routine when the grass gets growing again. It is easy just to mow and go without all the walking involved. Usually my feet and legs are tired by days end. My neighbors have not mowed their lawn since early Nov.

Did not even go out this week. Most customers will not even care .....most properties have not been mowed in forever.

I took a trip back to Missouri last week, so that killed some of the boredom, the bad news is some of their turf had more green in it than ours did.

I am taking a online course - which should be helping - but it is really hard to even get excited about even studying turf when I look outside and all I see is brown!

Finally upgraded my tv to Hi Def - added WD TV so I am enjoying movies - I am sure after the next couple of freezes that are expected next week is going to be very uneventful too.

Florida Gardener
01-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Man, I wish we were getting more freezes. My nice yards have been every 3 weeks for actual cutting. My few Bahia have been 2 months now I believe and won't be cut for another 2-4. I still have been raking, pruning certain plant material and spraying. I hope we get 1 more freeze in feb that will slow things up till end of march or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

justanotherlawnguy
01-12-2011, 11:35 PM
I love saving on gas this time of year also, been 2 weeks since I filled up the truck!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Fresh_Cut
01-13-2011, 12:31 AM

ditto

I love it hot... 100+

Fresh_Cut
01-13-2011, 12:33 AM
ya.. i've been out this week and only mowed 4 lawns and that was cuz of the leaves. some lawns i have not mowed since the week of christmas, and some the first week of december, but i am stopping by each of my clients yards to make an appearance and edge the driveway and walks and clean things up. another hard freeze for us in southwest florida tonight and tomorrow, so that should turn the new green grass that started growing, back to brown. nice to sit around and get paid, but ya, its getting boring.

How are you getting paid??

When I don't work, I don't get paid :confused:

Just asking.... I'm here to learn

Lehighlawnpros
01-13-2011, 12:59 AM
I dislike cold weather, but I try to make the best of it.

We've been mowing every three weeks here.
It's good to make an appearance, clean up as required,
and to talk with the customers whenever possible.

Lot's of spare time though, I've been spending a lot of time
reading the bible and getting to know God (and myself)
better. Definitely time well spent!

Landscape Poet
01-13-2011, 10:21 AM
How are you getting paid??

When I don't work, I don't get paid :confused:

Just asking.... I'm here to learn

We are paid in monthly installments - so the payments come if we are cutting or not. Bad weather, although it drives us crazy at times is actually our friend.

Landscape Poet
01-13-2011, 10:23 AM
I am sitting at home today and I can hear a Z turn running somewhere in the neighborhood. I do not get why you would run a mower across turf that has not grown. Why would you stress turf out that is already stressed by adding the weight of a mower to it? Pick up some leaves, trim a shrub, edge but why a mower?

sweetz
01-13-2011, 10:36 AM
I am sitting at home today and I can hear a Z turn running somewhere in the neighborhood. I do not get why you would run a mower across turf that has not grown. Why would you stress turf out that is already stressed by adding the weight of a mower to it? Pick up some leaves, trim a shrub, edge but why a mower?

To mulch the leaves & also to knock down the weeds that are still managing to grow in a few yards. Also because certain people/customers EXPECT it. :dizzy:

Greg78
01-13-2011, 10:41 AM
To mulch the leaves & also to knock down the weeds that are still managing to grow in a few yards. Also because certain people/customers EXPECT it. :dizzy:

Right now the only ones that are getting a mower put on them are the bank owned homes we are doing.

Normal customers only get mowed if they need it. If there are some weeds sticking up I'll walk through with the trimmer and get them, if there are a lot of weeds sticking up then the mower gets used.

chipk1
01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
I see guys running around with ztr's on lawns the morning after a freeze??? Talk about damaging the turf. :hammerhead:
My area has ALOT of trees. SO leaves are makin' a big mess now days. At least it is something to do. This winter is by far the worst I can remember as far as freezes so early in the winter.

The clueless weathermen are still sticking to their winter predictions. A MILD DRY WINTER. haaaa. haaa haaa :laugh::laugh::laugh:

sweetz
01-13-2011, 11:42 AM
The clueless weathermen are still sticking to their winter predictions. A MILD DRY WINTER. haaaa. haaa haaa :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I kinda noticed that too.:dizzy::laugh:

Texas Lawn
01-13-2011, 11:43 AM
I dont know how you guys up North do it. It is pretty cold here in Texas but Im sure not that cold in comparison. I hate the cold. Although I am miserable in the middle of summer when its in the 100's, Ill take that over the cold any day

williams lcm
01-13-2011, 01:42 PM
It is funny how you can always hear a ztr somewhere around. They make that unusal sound that can travel quite far. I can hear them blocks away but a regular rider not so. Those hydro's really kick in for sound.

Patriot Services
01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Next week it will be back up to 70. I peel down through the day. Hoodie, sweatshirt, tee shirt, might even break a sweat. I'm impressed all my 15th customers have paid and not a single complaint. This is my eow recliner week. "Ding! Fries are done" lunch time.
Posted via Mobile Device

sweetz
01-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Next week it will be back up to 70.
Posted via Mobile Device

There's another cold front coming through next week though & towards the middle or end of next week it's sup:clapping:pose to be in the lower 60's

billslawn89
01-13-2011, 11:15 PM
It is funny how you can always hear a ztr somewhere around. They make that unusal sound that can travel quite far. I can hear them blocks away but a regular rider not so. Those hydro's really kick in for sound.

ya really! glad i wasn't the only one like that! haha..

Landscape Poet
01-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Next week it will be back up to 70. I peel down through the day. Hoodie, sweatshirt, tee shirt, might even break a sweat. I'm impressed all my 15th customers have paid and not a single complaint. This is my eow recliner week. "Ding! Fries are done" lunch time.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am amazed to. I had two drop services this month all - both did not state the winter was the reasoning but rather financial concerns and that their son was going to take over the lawn....either way my numbers are strong enough that I am ok it...they should be easily replaced by early spring and their income while it will be missed, is not going to break my business. This my friends is one of the many reasons I enjoy residential, lose one or two - no big deal - lose one big commercial - suddenly your wondering if your family is going to get sick of Ramen noodles anytime soon.

Turf Dawg
01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
I am in North Texas and we have had snow on the ground since Sunday. I am about to go stir crazy. I do not know how the Northern people deal with this type weater for months. I need it to warm up a little so I can do some mulch jobs, cut back ornimental grasses, ect....... and be ready for the pre-m rounds and broad leaf spraying.