PDA

View Full Version : Road conditions in Georgia and or Alabama

1993lx172
01-12-2011, 06:43 PM
I know this is a little off topic but just bear with me and I'll explain.

On Sunday I'm heading down to Florida for a with some members of our campus (Western Kentucky University) chapter of Habitat for Humanity for our annual winter break trip, a week long build build trip where we go and work on a house for a week in another part of the country. I'm the student leader on this trip and am trying to get the last minute details ironed out before we leave and have gotten contradicting information regarding the road conditions around Atlanta and Mobile. Everything from clear and good to go to all frozen up and that trucks are stuck there until the conditions improve.

If anyone from the Atlanta or Mobile areas (heck anyone along I-65 or highway 31 south) could chime in and give me some insight on conditions I'd really appreciate it. Alabama guys this includes you, I know down your way you guys got dumped on the other day.

Thanks again

macgyver_GA
01-12-2011, 07:04 PM
According to the weather reports everything should be good by Sunday. The roads have gotten considerably clearer (except for the ice from the re-freezing last night). I actually drove all the way home from work today without having to use 4wd.

We are suppose to get above freezing friday, saturday, and sunday so it should be pretty much melted by then.

rain man
01-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Can't help you with the conditions, heard they got hit but no details. Did want to take a second and recognize the good work Habitat for Humanity is doing. Great organization to be involved with.

Richard Martin
01-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Just for my own knowledge...

How are you going to get from I-65 over to Atlanta and why? I guess you could take I-20 at Birmingham.

It makes significantly more sense to take I-24 to I-75 to get to Atlanta.

Richard Martin
01-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah. You can look at the roads around Atlanta on the Georgia Navigator. The roads look fine.

http://www.georgia-navigator.com/maps/atlanta

1993lx172
01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys

Rain man: This is my second year as a part of this organization and my second trip and I love it. Last year we did a build in Mississippi and I cant begin to tell you the look on the new home owners faces when they saw the progress we had made (all the interior insulation, 95% of the ceiling sheet rock was hung, and most of the siding was done. For six college students with limited construction experience, not too bad) it's a life changing experience and if you ever get the opportunity to participate in a Habitat event do not hesitate. Even if you have no experience, they will work with you on site and get you set up right.

If anyone wants more info on Habitat you can go on their website

www.habitat.org

rain man
01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks. They surely do help folks. Class act.

cgaengineer
01-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Main roads are fine here...its the secondaries that have ice problem. Stick to the interstates and you will be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
01-12-2011, 08:08 PM
By the weekend it will be back to normal, I drove through AL and had no problems yesterday. It was rough north of Birmingham on I-59 but for the most part I held 70mph except when the locals were holding up progress. All my driving was on I-59 from MS to TN. I-65 south of Birmingham should be clean now.

1993lx172
01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Just for my own knowledge...

How are you going to get from I-65 over to Atlanta and why? I guess you could take I-20 at Birmingham.

It makes significantly more sense to take I-24 to I-75 to get to Atlanta.

My mistake someone mentioned the conditions in Atlanta, long story short, I typed before I thought. Georgia guys never mind, Alabama guys you're up.

But to clarify we are taking I-65 then getting off at highway 113 to our destination.

My mistake.

1993lx172
01-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys!

BrunoT
01-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Can someone please explain to me why building homes for the working poor makes sense now, when there is such a surplus of unsold existing homes that they are referring to it as a "housing depression" in today's headlines?

I understand the concept 5 years ago, during a boom when home prices were soaring. But why now?

The main roads are probably fine, though last night I20 had stretches where semis were blocking it as they couldn't clear an icy upgrade.

1993lx172
01-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Can someone please explain to me why building homes for the working poor makes sense now, when there is such a surplus of unsold existing homes that they are referring to it as a "housing depression" in today's headlines?

I understand the concept 5 years ago, during a boom when home prices were soaring. But why now?

The main roads are probably fine, though last night I20 had stretches where semis were blocking it as they couldn't clear an icy upgrade.

The the idea is to eliminate sub-standard housing and to make decent homes affordable for low income families. Not cookie cutter govt. housing, real homes that they can take pride in yet afford. It's a hand up not a hand out.

We can put up a decent, affordable home for usually less than $50,000 through the use of donated materials, volunteer labor, and donations. A lot of the time it is the first house they have ever owned, others their homes have been lost to natural disaster or fire.

You do have a good point about all the unsold homes, I'm sure it's come up but I'll ask our campus adviser at the next meeting, you might be on to something.

Richard Martin
01-13-2011, 03:03 AM

Please remember that Habitat For Humanity is NOT a government venture. They have no power to seize anything from anybody. All of those unnsold homes are still owned, they aren't just sitting there waiting for someone to claim them. If a person or entity wanted to make a tax deductable donation of a home to HFH then I'm sure HFH would take it. I'm not a member of HFH but I do believe they also try to keep the people they help in their same communities.

alexschultz1
01-13-2011, 01:57 PM
i made $150 in tips from pulling people out today and yesterday :) it not a ton of money but with snow on the ground and a truck bill coming up ill take any money i can get.

SouthSide Cutter
01-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Just got back from Tenn. Roads were okay except up in the mtns. Going down 4 cars in front of us on I40 about the 235 mile marker watched a semi come across the median. The cables they have down there to keep you from doing this did nothing. Didn't even break he just run over them. Jack knifed and hit a 1 ton pickup almost head-on. The guy was still alive when they took him off. But it took them 2hrs to get a wrecker there. We sat there for over 4hrs. Talked to my brother and the company he drives for sends nothing this way in bad weather because of this. Guess the guy fell asleep.

Forever Green Landscaping
01-13-2011, 07:11 PM
1993 Check your PM

1993lx172
01-13-2011, 07:21 PM
1993 Check your PM

Got it thanks, Reply is on the way

BrunoT
01-14-2011, 05:08 PM
I realize it's a volunteer effort. I just wonder if they might be able to buy existing homes on the cheap and use the resources and volunteers to remodel them instead and that way be able to spread it around more.

1993lx172
01-14-2011, 07:53 PM
I realize it's a volunteer effort. I just wonder if they might be able to buy existing homes on the cheap and use the resources and volunteers to remodel them instead and that way be able to spread it around more.

I see what you're saying and in some situations that would work out perfectly. I can't say for sure if that has been thought of or is in practice anywhere but I can find out.

You got to remember Habitat isn't just giving homes away, the home owners have to pay off a low fixed rate mortgage, put in so many hours on their own house, and another 200 or so hours on other builds. It's set up that way to instill a sense of pride of ownership and to make them want to better their situation. Look at it like fixing up an old car, you put all that work into it to get it looking and running good and want to keep it that way, plus the sense of accomplishment you get.

We'll be meeting with out campus adviser before we leave and a regional affiliate when we get to the church we are staying at, and I'll ask if something like you mentioned is in the works and I'll let you know when I get back.

1993lx172
03-20-2011, 01:45 PM
If anyone wants to see pics from the trip just follow the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V30Pt-DoH8k&feature=channel_video_title