PDA

View Full Version : Wanting opinions on Scag Tiger Cat

andyreed
01-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi, I am looking for some feedback on the Scag Tiger Cat with the 52" deck. I am debating on which engine, either the 24 Kawasaki or the 27 Kohler. I am going to be in the market for a zero turn and am thinking Scag is the way to go since I have a dealer fairly close. So basically, if you have used one or have any pros and cons about it, I would like to hear them. Thanks

twcw5804
01-12-2011, 09:50 PM
I swear by Kawi and I've seen posts on here before that would say that a kawi of a smaller HP will out perform a Kohler. Just what I've read on here before, probably all opinion in which you'll get some people say get Kohler.

I take it your looking at new. Whats the price of these models?

andyreed
01-12-2011, 09:53 PM
I haven't got a price on it yet. I'll be getting out to the dealer within a couple weeks. Right now I am just trying to narrow down the search. Thanks for the input.

GreenEarthLawnCare
01-12-2011, 11:54 PM
i would go with the kawasaki. but you can look up the specs on both engines and compare them. i bet the kawasaki's torch curve is just as high as the bigger hp kohler

LibertyFarmLandscaping
01-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Hi, I am looking for some feedback on the Scag Tiger Cat with the 52" deck. I am debating on which engine, either the 24 Kawasaki or the 27 Kohler. I am going to be in the market for a zero turn and am thinking Scag is the way to go since I have a dealer fairly close. So basically, if you have used one or have any pros and cons about it, I would like to hear them. Thanks

If you mow large areas for hours at a time you will have overheating problems with the pumps as there is no hydro oil cooler or fans. You will want to go up to the Wildcat which has the hydro oil cooler. If you mow smaller props 30 mins to 1 hour then the mower having time to cool down between jobs then it should work great. As far as engines I prefer the Kawi over Kohler, but as the OP said you will get opinions both ways.

andyreed
01-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks Liberty that is the kind of info i am looking for. I definitely would need to consider the wildcat then.

SouthSide Cutter
01-13-2011, 05:31 PM
If you mow large areas for hours at a time you will have overheating problems with the pumps as there is no hydro oil cooler or fans. You will want to go up to the Wildcat which has the hydro oil cooler. If you mow smaller props 30 mins to 1 hour then the mower having time to cool down between jobs then it should work great. As far as engines I prefer the Kawi over Kohler, but as the OP said you will get opinions both ways.

I put a B&M hyd oil cooler on mine from Jegs for about 50 bucks. And it looks like the same cooler I have seen on some other mowers. I wouldn't run one with out a cooler.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
01-13-2011, 07:03 PM
I put a B&M hyd oil cooler on mine from Jegs for about 50 bucks. And it looks like the same cooler I have seen on some other mowers. I wouldn't run one with out a cooler.

That would work great if they didn't void your warranty for doing your own modifications. My Scag dealer told me a few years back they would void warranty on the hydros if you messed with them. We had 2 Tiger Cubs, which we put coolers on after they went out of warranty.

I guess you could just pull the cooler off if you had to take it in for warranty work. I never thought of that...:) I would rather just pay the extra difference for the Wildcat and not have to worry about it if I was doing it over again myself. I run Turf Tigers now.