PDA

View Full Version : Ipad?

KPW LawnCare
01-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Anyone using one for business? Guy at my work has one and I was playing around on it and its pretty bad ass. Seems like it could work good.

Roger
01-12-2011, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=KPW LawnCare;3854439.... Seems like it could work good.[/QUOTE]

Work good...? At what? Does it make straight lines for good looking stripes? Does it sharpen blades at 1-2 minutes each? Does it gather all leaves to one pile for easy pickup?

... you get my point. I know several people who have them, but they are using them for applications that are way beyond doing lawn maintenance work. You may work a good spreadsheet for estimates, depending upon the complexity of your work. It may help you find new properties, and get lot sizes through geo applications?

$700-$800 is a high price for a toy that may not do anything further than your smart phone that is probably already in your arsenal, and paid for through your data plans.

mowerbrad
01-12-2011, 11:08 PM
I really wouldn't want one to do business on. You can't download programs on it like you can a laptop or desktop. Sure you can email from it, get online with it, etc...but you can do all that with a cell phone too. I think of ipad as a giant ipod touch.

If I were to get something to stay in the truck with me for working, I'd go for a tough book, otherwise I'd just put all my programs on my desktop or laptop.

Mountain Peak
01-12-2011, 11:49 PM
I looked for ways of having one as well and didn't come up with anything that I don't have on my iphone now. You can't load quickbooks on it to have invoicing, you can run the online version of quickbooks on it if you have the internet access with it and then have a printer in the truck, but I couldn't really see how it would help me be more efficient and effective on my daily route. Still seems to me that the 15 to 20 minutes sitting in front of the computer each night is still faster and cheaper than paying to have the ipad with me.

They are really cool though, my sister just got one for Christmas and loves it, but she's a teacher and can actually use it daily.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
01-13-2011, 12:02 AM
My brother got one for Christmas from his wife. He builds metal buildings, and it works well for him. He has sold 3 jobs in the last week using the picture display showing past jobs he has done while talking to the potential client rather than having them look through a book of pictures.

He will usually bid around 15 to 20 jobs per week. He showed me he can pull up bids quickly when some one calls him back about a quote instead of having to wait on a laptop to boot up etc. If you were selling landscaping or hardscaping jobs in high volumes if might be beneficial.

For myself mostly doing maintenance work I don't see an advantage over a laptop.

BadRancher
01-13-2011, 12:37 AM
I would just use a laptop. They are much cheaper and more relevant. They have lots of memory and programs like microsoft word are normally on the PC for opening documents.

cgaengineer
01-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Buy a mini laptop with Windows so you can actually run programs that do work.

Ipad=a giant iPhone without the ability to call someone
Posted via Mobile Device

BrendonTW
01-13-2011, 01:40 AM
iPads are MUCH more sleek, professional, and simple for showing customers pictures and slideshows. Laptops are a business operational tool, iPads are an amazing sell sheet that has endless possibilities.

MOHUSTLER
01-13-2011, 01:11 PM
I bought one thinking I would use it and I dont. Everytime I sit down to do work on it, I have my desktop right in front of me. And it can do 50X as much 10 times as fast. I just use it to watch movies and play games on now.

cgaengineer
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM
I bought one thinking I would use it and I dont. Everytime I sit down to do work on it, I have my desktop right in front of me. And it can do 50X as much 10 times as fast. I just use it to watch movies and play games on now.

So there ya have it.
Posted via Mobile Device

chipk1
01-13-2011, 01:28 PM
I believe IPads and other tablet machines are the wave of the future. I think we will see more and more web based applications taking the place of downloaded installed programs. The billing program I use MowTrac is totally web based. This is actually google's ultimate dream. They want to store all the data in the world in their servers.

AintNoFun
01-13-2011, 01:37 PM
i use one.. it hasn't replaced my laptop but i use it a hell of a lot more. i love the built in air card. it runs all my spreadsheets other than that and email is all i do on a computer anyway...

mx315
01-13-2011, 02:15 PM
iPad is worthless without Flash and Java for internet use. I'm an IT Admin for Toyota and was given two iPads for a pilot program to see if we could use them for selling service and vehicles. It's a toy! Good for playing games and email. No real business programs or Quickbooks worth having, extra $25-$30 per month for cellular coverage and can't run IE verified sites with Safari browser.
On the plus side it's good for looking at pics, maps, boots up quick and Angry Birds is fun. I tell everybody I would be ticked off if I had paid for it with my own money.
Many new options out there now.

KPW LawnCare
01-13-2011, 06:19 PM
I am in college so I was gonna use it for that too. My one teacher is trying to get it going where you can buy your books and have them on there instead of lugging around 4 books you carry an ipad. Idk i might get one for the hell of it for fun too lol/

twcw5804
01-13-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm on a huge anti-apple kick right now. Moto Droid is coming out with a 10'' tablet in the next couple months. It will have more capabilities than the Ipad, still wouldn't buy one for work.