PDA

View Full Version : Best Straight Shaft 4 -cycle Weed & Edger trimmer to buy ?

Trim-man
09-01-2002, 12:39 PM
Hey Guys,

Looking to buy a new trimmer. Need a grass trimmer and a edger. I've seen several lawn maintenance guys using a straight shaft lawn edger. I would like to save some money and buy one piece of equipment that takes care of both functions.

Should I buy a separate lawn edger and grass trimmer?

What's the best ones to buy? Since they are going to be new, thought about getting a 4-cycle or should I get a new 2-stroke ?

Engine choices?

Thanks,

longviewlawncare
09-01-2002, 06:19 PM
if you want 2 units in one which works good then i would go with the REDMAX Extreme series. It is a trimmer that has a split shaft. Pull out the trimmer shaft and stick in the edeger shaft. Hope this helps

Trim-man
09-01-2002, 11:24 PM
Hey longviewlawncare,

Thanks, I'll check it out...If I decide to get one, Is there a place on the Internet to purchase one??

longviewlawncare
09-02-2002, 06:43 AM
RPM sales is one of the sponsers on this site. check out http://www.rpm-co.com/ He will hook you up.

65hoss
09-02-2002, 01:44 PM
Honda will be coming out soon with a new 4stroke trimmer. We demo'd the prototype at the expo and its extremely quiet and light. At idle you would almost try to start it again it was so quiet.

BladeRunner Rep
09-14-2002, 05:35 PM
I personally own a robin bh2500 4-stoke like it alot!

Trim-man
09-15-2002, 01:14 AM
Still haven't purchased a new trimmer. Still looking and researching. Thanks for the comments so far. I also need a new hedge trimmer now.

I need a trimmer, edger and a Hedge trimmer. REDMAX Extreme can do all 3 things with attachments, that is pretty cool. It also looks like quality stuff, but expensive. I don't mind paying extra for something that will last a long time,

Is it better to purchase the 3 different tools separately or buy one that does it all with purchasing the additional attachments???

dothelawn
09-18-2002, 10:08 AM
I recently bought a Stihl FS85RT split-boom trimmer with a stick edger attachment and have been really happy with it. At the same time, I also bought a BG85 blower and like it very much as well. Total cost for all items incl. tax was around $650. I figure I'm set for a while with this gear.

AltaLawnCare
09-18-2002, 12:02 PM
I bought a 85RT last spring. It ran great for the first few months, now its erally tempermental, won't run wide open, and is hard to start when hot. I'll put it in the shop this Fall - still under warranty.
I thinking about the Robin 4 stroke for my next trimmer.

dothelawn
09-18-2002, 04:21 PM
Hi Alta, I haven't had any trouble with my 85RT, but then I'm just a homeowner putting a couple of hours a week on it. I did notice that when you first start it and it is idling , it makes kind of like a pinging, bell-like sound. Once you pull the trigger, though, it screams.:D

AltaLawnCare
09-18-2002, 04:46 PM
That pinging is normal, its the clutch.;) My old FS 80 died, its in the shop now, I'm hoping just some simple adjustment on the 85 will fix it up..
I still need another good back up, so I'm considering a 4 stroke.

65hoss
09-29-2002, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by dothelawn
I did notice that when you first start it and it is idling , it makes kind of like a pinging, bell-like sound. Once you pull the trigger, though, it screams.:D

That is the metal clutches you are hearing. The sound of quality and longevity.