PDA

View Full Version : Staying in Shape Over the Winter?

MOturkey
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Just wondering how many of you guys that run a seasonal business have difficulty staying fit over the winter? I retired from my day job last summer, and gained almost 20 pounds by December, so decided I had to do something or I wouldn't be able to get around at all by spring. I broke out the old exercise bike, and have been working out 5 or 6 days a week, along with lifting some light weights, and have dropped about 15 pounds so far. Need to lose another 55 total, to get to what I really should weigh, but it has been many years since I saw 180 on the old scales. :)

It wasn't so bad carrying those extra pounds when I was younger, but now, as I approach 60, it really makes it tough to get around, plus I had to start taking medicine for my blood pressure for the first time in my life.

Turf Dawg
01-13-2011, 04:15 PM
I really wish you would quit loosing weight because I'm finding it.:laugh::laugh:

I stay in shape by lifting a fork and snacking. In the not near as busy season I go from around 235 to around 250 but I'm only 5'6".:cry::cry::cry: well that's standing up, if I'm laying down and you measure from the ground to my belly button I'm 6'5":laugh::laugh::laugh:

The longest thing on me is my belt :drinkup::hammerhead:

JB1
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I started power walking to the fridge, does that count.

lawnpro724
01-13-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm in my mid 40s and I'm know how you feel. I don't do much in winter either and gain around 15lbs in those few months but lose it quickly when I go back to work. Its getting harder and harder to get going every spring as I'm getting older and those first few weeks really kick my butt. This year I'm working out a little everyday to make things a bit easier in spring. Good luck

Wright48
01-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I started working out in the summer 4 days a week in the moring before the workday didnt need to loose wieght just trying to gain some muscle it was hard at first but now nothing makes me sore anymore i just did 24 hrs of plowing,shoveling and snowblowing and it felt like i did nothing so i cant wait to have some hard work days in the spring to see how theroy holds up to stone work and pavers. plus i feel better and have more energy moving **** around like fert or salt bags is like nothing compared to when i didnt work out.

SLC & IS
01-13-2011, 05:11 PM
lifting weights,going for a short run when its not freezing,trying to make sure it dosen't take me two weeks to feel good in the spring. the older i get the harder it is to get going since these last two winters i haven't had many projects.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Its tough in the winter man, esp a 4 month ordeal like here (Dec - March).
I do russian kettlebells in my basement, can get a knock out workout in 30 minutes with those. Its just a matter of sticking with a 3 times per week schedule.

I also agree with above, any extra weight comes off fast when mowing/apping begin.

lawnkingforever
01-13-2011, 05:40 PM
I always seem to over indulge in terms of food and beer around Nov-Dec. I have been hitting the treadmill pretty hard since New Years. I use Jan-March as my training months, lifting and running 5X week. Once mowing kicks in, I scale back to 3X.

Dogbonz
01-13-2011, 06:28 PM
So the ol' 12oz curls are gettin to ya? LOL

I went to the Doc, 3 years ago @ 41, and after he did my exam,, he said, at my height 5'7" and at 204Lbs, I was Obese. :angry: And that I should be about 165. Shoot I haven't been that since,, well a long time ago. :nono:
I said,, dude,, I am fat. Don't call me obese,, that chick out in the waiting room taking up 2 seats is obese. I'm just fat.
The following year after my exam, he said, "Last year I told you to work on your weight, what i meant was to lose some not gain 12 more!!! :hammerhead:
So here I sit at 44 and I'm 215!:dizzy: Only have a gut, to lose, but apparently that gut is about 35Lbs to much! So I guess, I need to get my fat As$ off this comp and go do something. :drinkup:

StihlBR600
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Even being 18 i get out of shape in the off season. I spend the extra bucks and get a fitness pass so i can workout in the winter months.

grassman177
01-13-2011, 06:39 PM
i already am out of shape, but started eating lighter and i am gonna have to start walking, house work aint a work out exactly

93Chevy
01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
I shovel the hell out of snow and don't eat when I work.

300 pushups a day keeps the doctor away.

Patriot Services
01-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Still do my daily military drill. 50 push ups, 50 sit ups and a 6 minute mile run. 43 years old and 165lbs at 5'10". Eat whatever I want. Inherited good genes.
Posted via Mobile Device

lurch
01-13-2011, 07:20 PM
I shovel the hell out of snow and don't eat when I work.

300 pushups a day keeps the doctor away.

Contrary to popular belief, eating is actually the best way to lose weight.

I know it sounds crazy but hear me out. If you eat small sensible meals throughout the day, 5-8 times, your metablolism spikes. With this increased metabolism your body will naturally shed body fat. By sensible I mean a bowl of oatmeal upon, an apple and a slice of whole wheat bread, lean chicken breast, fish; that kind of stuff. Not chips and queso and a coke.

People seems to think if they starve themselves that they'll lose weight but it's the opposite. You have to constantly eat, just eat right. Adding in a little activity never hurts either...:)

93Chevy
01-13-2011, 08:07 PM

I know it sounds crazy but hear me out. If you eat small sensible meals throughout the day, 5-8 times, your metablolism spikes. With this increased metabolism your body will naturally shed body fat. By sensible I mean a bowl of oatmeal upon, an apple and a slice of whole wheat bread, lean chicken breast, fish; that kind of stuff. Not chips and queso and a coke.

People seems to think if they starve themselves that they'll lose weight but it's the opposite. You have to constantly eat, just eat right. Adding in a little activity never hurts either...:)

I actually agree and understand that. But when you're pushing to get done, I don't have time to worry about food. My body will take care of itself for 10-12 hours until I get a break from shoveling and plowing. I guess I should pack some veggies and fruit, but I usually don't think that far ahead. :laugh::laugh:

Agape
01-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I avoid mirrors and stay off the scale (Ignorance is bliss!)

Whenever I get the urge to exercise, I lie down until that urge goes away!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

grassman177
01-13-2011, 11:14 PM

YUP, I started out loosing early this summer with what i ate, not how much i ate. i ate all day long, but it was on fruits, water, tea, salads, cut out all the junk and processed foods.

i ate more and lost weight. i can understand the dynamics of the whole chemical reactions and causes etc, but not going to explain it here, too long. anyways, point is it still takes self control NOT to eat the things that taste so good that are fattening as hell!

still trying to get that down:laugh:

soloscaperman
01-14-2011, 02:30 AM
What kind of foods are you eating daily?

Richard Martin
01-14-2011, 02:59 AM
The holidays put a hurting on me and I knew they would. 5'6" and 158 pounds. I hope to take about 8 or 10 off before March.

grassman177
01-14-2011, 04:21 AM
solo, i think you are asking me, so here goes

breakfast.

piece of fruit like apple or orange
few bites organic yogurt
boal high fiber oatmeal

lunch,

tuna pouch in salad
spring mix salad greens
handful of croutons for crunch
vinagrette dressing
small amount of cheese

dinner

chicken breast, or small steak, or pork chop(not too often though) or similar meat.
fish did my body well, but i hate eating it way too much to continue
big helping of geen veggies,
some rice

all day, i eat fruit, maybe a shot of yogurt or a granola bar

drink tons of water, some g2 gatorade in summer, juice, homemade brewed green and black tea.

ShooterK2
01-14-2011, 09:03 AM
You guys talking about eating several small meals a day are on the right track. I read a book a few years ago that hit the nail on the head. It said to eat a fist-sized portion of food once every three hours. Healthy food, of course. Grassman177's list works great. You need protein and slow carbs. Very little fat, and zero saturated fat (as if that is even possible). That, along with some exercise (the more the better) works well. You also get one "cheat day" each week, but I rarely took advantage of it. I'm 5'9 or so, and with this routine of eating and working out every day (cardio every other day, with weights on the other days) had me far more ripped than I ever was in high school. I'm not a big guy, and this had me at about 145-150 lbs and lean. Felt great. I'm 39 years old.

It is, however, very hard to stay on track and work a full time job. Or like me, a full time job and then mow lawns after work every day. These days, I just do the best I can. And, like Richard said, the holidays caused me considerable weight gain, as they do every year. I just plan on it, and I get back into the routine in January. I was 168 lbs last Tuesday. I just stepped off the scale, and I'm 163 as I type this. So I've lost 5 pounds in about a week and a half. I'll get down in the low 150s and be happy.

MOW ED
01-14-2011, 11:54 AM
I always put on a "winter coat" so I am on the treadmill and elliptical 6 days a week. Its not balls out hard work, just enough to get the heartrate to about 126 to 130 for a half hour. This usually means a 1 hour total commitment. Its relatively easy to do now but once it gets nice out, meaning 45 degrees or so I am ready to get to work. I have recently started charting what I am putting in my yap as well as keeping track of workout time just to stay honest. Its working and I am feeling better. The holidays are the worst time for me as I quit lawns at Thanksgiving then pig out until New Years.

rwar
01-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Ive actually lost weight this year,been working a night job on an assembly line,nothing like nine hours of constant movement to take it of you,Im back down to 150,havent seen that in over ten years.

Texas Lawn
01-14-2011, 01:31 PM
I think you have to be realistic with your goals. Some people cant start eating fruit and granola bars. Would it help? Yes. But if you set your goal to completely change your diet, you will either follow through or abandon it completely. If you notice with a lot of the diet stuff they have on TV, the food they have you eat isnt neccesarily any better. The key is portion control. They dont have healthier food (most the time) they just have less of it.

A trick I learned is when I do want something un-healthy, to have it in pre-made sandwich bag or whatever. That way instead of sitting on the couch with the whole bag of chips, pretzel, etc. I would have a small sandwich bag. This way I still ate the stuff I want but limited the amount I ate.

Its true what they say, you cant stop at one. So if your going to to finish the bag of something, make it a smaller bag and this will help a lot.

grassman177
01-14-2011, 02:09 PM
i however am not trying to "diet", rather change my eating habits for good to be a healthier me and live longer. heart disease, cancer, diabetes, you name it i have family with those genes. basically, i dont want to die too early, maybe after i hit 50 would be a good time, but not now.