PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk setting up categories under business expenses

walker-talker
01-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Just curious how others have some of their catergories setup. For example, do you use a main category titled Marketing with a sub-category titled Advertising? If so, what other categories do you have under Marketing? Research? Consulting?. Right now, most everything is just under Advertising.

Also, do you have a main category titled Insurance and then sub-categories titled Auto, Equipment, General Liability, Pesticide or do you have Insurance a sub-category under all those I mentioned...like Auto, Equipment...etc.?

I know instead of a main category titled Auto, with sub-categories of Maintenance, Fuel, Insurance.... I will have a main category with each vehicle this year, but the same sub-categories for each.

I guess it really doesn't matter as long as it's all recorded. I was just curious how you others did it.

DistinguishedLawn
01-13-2011, 04:53 PM
I have a decent case of OCD and I have a lot of accounting courses under my belt, so I like my books to be as detailed and informative as possible. I have a section for Advertising Expense, and everything falls under that main category...in the proper subcategory. As subcategories, I have "Vehicle Signage", "Internet Advertising", "Mailers and Brochures", "Website Expense" and so on. I also have Insurance Expense, with subcategories of "Auto Insurance", "General Liability", "Health Insurance", "Obamacare"...whoops, scratch that one, HAHAHAHAHA.

I try to keep my main categories basic and fairly limited, so my sub categories can be detailed and provide good breakdowns of where money was actually spent.

walker-talker
01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah..I have OCD too...lol. I think I will do you do like you said. Insurance then break it down into subs. Also with Advertising...I don't think I will have a seperate main category as marketing...just keep it simple. I have my subs listed as Yellow Pages, Postcards, Flyers, Business Cards, Flags and so on. I don't have any formal education in accounting, but by dad does and is a retired IRS accountant and now have his own business...so I guess I inheirted his accounting gene.