PDA

View Full Version : Walker dealer quoted higher than expected

JShe8918
01-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Well i am going to bite the bullet and add my favorite mower back to my trailer. I loved my walker and got rid of it to get a larger one and wound up with a husqvarna instead. Well now i have yards that call for the walker and several larger accounts that call for the husqvarna. Sooooooo I was trying to figure out whether i wanted the MTL31 or the MT26 both with the 52" GHS deck. Well first things first. The MTL has 2 additional MPH than the 26 and it also has the michigan suspension seat on it. So its kind of a catch 22. Oh and if i wanted to add the michigan seat to the 26 it is a 1000 more and i don't know what the speed up kit costs.

Here are the prices i recieve from my dealer. They seem to be a bit higher than what everyone on here has been talking about.

Walker MT26 10,595
Walker MT31 12,836
Than the 52" deck is $2,027 additional then they are charging $75 for assembly and setup?

I have never been charged money for setup and assembly before. And i have bout 6 mowers brand new in the past 4 years. Also he quoted me MSRP if i am not mistaken and said he can't go any lower. Seriously now. He also quoted me a toro dingo with the cultivator and auger. He came off the dingo 4,000 the cultivator 1,000 and the auger 700. I had previously told him that i was looking into getting a dingo in the later part of the summer. So he knew right now i was strictly looking for the walker. What is everyone else think of the quote on the walker?

nlminc
01-14-2011, 10:53 AM
A couple of months ago I was quoted 11,600.00 on the 26 walker with a 42" deck. Out the door including taxes..

You can prep and install the deck yourself!

Jason Rose
01-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Price-wise, considering you are looking at the EFI models, I think that's pretty much where they are priced now. It's not 4 years ago. Prices on ALL commercial mowers has gone through the roof, and Walkers have probably gone up the most % in 4 years as any of them.

As for the assembly charges, there's more to that than just putting the deck on the tractor. Most dealers just don't blatently put their extra fees on the ticket, it's just worked into the price of the machine.

I also don't really like the quotes that seperate the price of the tractor and the deck. That's dumb, you can't use one without the other... If you ask for a price on a MT23 with 48" bagging deck I want to see one figure, the total price. I don't want to have to be doing the math myself. Of course some do that because it makes for smaller numbers which tricks the buyers brain into thinking it's less money here versus another dealer.

ALC-GregH
01-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Jason, the dealer I go to pulled that crap on me when I bought my MS390 chainsaw. I looked at the price for the saw and told him I'd take it. He rang it up and it was $100+ more after he added a chain and bar! WTF?

Bogielski
01-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Buy exmark, the navigator has alot of the same options as walker and they are alittle cheaper than walker for the same quality.

MOHUSTLER
01-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Sounds like your dealer is trying to be a used car dealer adding fees and crap like that. Play hardball or go to another dealer.

zak406
01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
I would atleast try another dealer before buying from hiim, if i remember correctly and i was just at a walker dealer the other day the 26efi was going for 10 something around here...

JShe8918
01-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Well the only other dealer is Singley small engine and the owner is a prick. He priced me out the MTL31 with 52" deck last season for 15,5xx! His shop stays two weeks behind in the summer. He told me to bring my mower to him two seasons ago and he would have it fixed in about 3 hours. Well i drove two hours up there, took him the mower, and headed to the mall. When i returned 4 hours later it hadn't been touched. So i went home. Three days later he called me and told me they had just finished it up. If i hadn't previously owned and fallen in love with a walker i would go a different route. Also i have priced the navigator and it is a little cheaper, only about 1500. However it is a 48" deck and my dealer had horror stories on the navigator. He said that is why he doesn't even deal with exmark anymore. He did tell me how ever that they are doing so major butt kissing and if i wanted a navigator i could probably get it at it's cheapest right now!

loupiscopolandscaping
01-14-2011, 08:34 PM
4k off the dingo? thats a deal!

JShe8918
01-14-2011, 08:44 PM
I know. It seems that i must have made myself sound desperate for a mower and only interested in the dingo. Maybe i should have done it the other way around. If i had maybe it would have been a grand or so off the mower and book price of the dingo. The dingo was 24,xxx and he was quoted me like $20,2xx. On the quote it says msrp-extension-price 24,xxx-20,2xx-20,2xx. ARGH! Well maybe when tax time rolls around i will get some back this year and that will compensate for the difference of what i was thinking to what he is selling for. If that makes any sense. LoL

chuacro
01-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Johnathon, Good luck on finding that right mower. I added the quick height adjustment to the deck of the mower you sold me. I do not know if all the new decks have this feature. Worth every penny for the upgrade. I also tried that mulch plate insert on e-bay and was not happy with results. Win some loose some.

Mowing Freak
01-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Just an idea, call Walker and get the number to your area distributor. Call him and see if he will sell you one. Just for your info, Walker dealers make at least $1500 to $2000 per machine. They have all the wiggle room they want. The deal you were given sounds pretty high especially the assembly fee.

Springmeadows
01-15-2011, 12:55 AM
I doubt that the distributor will make a sale behind the dealers back. I know mine won't, esspecially Walker. However, every dealer is different. I have a dealer in a nearby town that forgets he's a dealer for Walker, even though he has two on the floor. I got on to the distributor about that.

I would shop around but be prepared to deal with the dealer for service too. If you buy from a far away dealer, you may have to drive to them for parts and service too.

JShe8918
01-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Its gotta be a walker, and those are they only two dealers we have close. Service wont be a big deal. I need to service it myself anyways. I am starting to get too lazy these days. But I felt they were rather high too. Ugh. Anyone actually been quoted one of these things lately?
Posted via Mobile Device

MOturkey
01-15-2011, 11:35 AM
My dealer told me that Scag and Walker, of the brands he carries, are sold only through distributorships, and leave him little room for negotiating the price, as the middleman, AKA distributor, gets his cut as well.

Out of curiosity, if I go to my dealer's in the next few days, I'll just see what his price would be on this unit.

rwaters
01-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Just an idea, call Walker and get the number to your area distributor. Call him and see if he will sell you one. Just for your info, Walker dealers make at least $1500 to $2000 per machine. They have all the wiggle room they want. The deal you were given sounds pretty high especially the assembly fee.

No on average I am sure he does not make $1500 to $2000 per machine at list price. I own a dealership and my father owns another one in a different state we get different prices on the same mowers from our distributors. I do however agree with the exception of 1 (not walker) that on every mower I have ever seen you have enough room for the time it takes to put it together that that should not be added to the price. And I have talked to most companies as I own the only mower dealership in my county.

oldclawn
01-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Your dealer quoted you straight list. Take off 10% from that --hold your checkbook in front of you (or good green cash) and he'll do it or he's reasonably an idiot. Negotiate with cash in your hand ready to buy RIGHT NOW!
Most dealers either bury the set up costs or eat them for good customers--but there are always expenses in delivering the machine. The Walker is basically assembled but needs some hardware attached and the deck is crated.
Your dealer is entitled to make a profit on the transaction. He has expenses.

JShe8918
01-15-2011, 02:52 PM
I agree with the post above. However most dealers biggest money maker is service.
Posted via Mobile Device

BrunoT
01-15-2011, 08:52 PM
It's like car shopping. If you are patient you will pay less.

Let them know you want to shop around, give them your card, and ask them to call you if things change and they can sell it cheaper.

Then go shop their quote around. Decide if a lower price is worth the pros/cons of another dealer. I've paid $700 less for the identical machine before just accross town. Some dealers are low volume/high margin. Others are high volume/lower margin.

I personally don't care to be paying the monthly rent for a guy's entire business with the profit from my single purchase. They can a dozen or so mowers a day theoretically (time spent to sell and setup machine with a moderate sized staff). If he's trying to make it by selling 2 or 3 a week at higher prices, that's not my problem.

I purchased a new vehicle recently 3 1/2 months after first test driving it. The same identical vehicle I test drove. Still sitting there unsold. I bought it for $1300 less than their previous "best price". They still made a 4% profit on it (about $1700) as I didn't even negotiate very hard. Turns out they can make money after all, they just don't make as much!

They are counting on you not knowing the numbers and being eager to get the thing. So they will do what any good negotiator does, pretend it's their "rock bottom" price and hope you bite.