PDA

View Full Version : Which Pesticide License Do YOU need?

Landscape Poet
01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
So with the many browsing our new Florida Section here on Lawnsite I thought it might be important to throw this up for all the newbies that might visit the sight. It will hopefully guide them in the right direction to making the correct choices about the business they are going to venture into, help save our aquifers in florida, as well as save them from getting informed from Ric that they are hacks when they ask about chemicals, and of course will help them avoid getting fined by the state.

So here is the link that will answer the question for you.
http://prohort.ifas.ufl.edu/pesticide_licenses/which_pesticide.shtml

Since many of you will not go for the full PCO license - here is the basic limited license ( what many of your refer to as the Round Up License) http://landscape.ifas.ufl.edu/Breaking%20news/breaking%20news.htm

Landscape Poet
01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Here is a link to for all BMP classes offered statewide for 2011 for those of you that have not yet taken. For those of you that do not know - in order to spread even fertilizer in 2014 you will be required to have taken this course, passed and received a license to do so.

http://fyn.ifas.ufl.edu/professionals/bmp_training_schedule.htm#IFAS_2011

Patriot Services
01-14-2011, 05:14 PM
In addition to the cost of the course and license fee you must bring proof of 1 mil liability insurance with a pesticide rider. :usflag:

Landscape Poet
01-14-2011, 06:14 PM
In addition to the cost of the course and license fee you must bring proof of 1 mil liability insurance with a pesticide rider. :usflag:

Correct - and feel free to correct me if I am wrong here - as of now the current fee to take the test is $150 I believe for the limited. Also you will be required to bring a passport photo of yourself for some reason - I am not sure why as they do not apply it on your license.

Johnagain
01-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Here is a link to for all BMP classes offered statewide for 2011 for those of you that have not yet taken. For those of you that do not know - in order to spread even fertilizer in 2014 you will be required to have taken this course, passed and received a license to do so.

http://fyn.ifas.ufl.edu/professionals/bmp_training_schedule.htm#IFAS_2011

Michael,

Just so you know Orange County has required this BMP course for Fert only since March of 2010, even though the first class offered was in April 2010. If you haven't taken the BMP course yet and are spreading Fert only you are doing so illegally.

Landscape Poet
01-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Michael,

Just so you know Orange County has required this BMP course for Fert only since March of 2010, even though the first class offered was in April 2010. If you haven't taken the BMP course yet and are spreading Fert only you are doing so illegally.

I have taken my BMP's certificate actually a few times now, I think I got mine in April of last year or so originally, because of Orange county. I have taken it since in both Seminole and Orange for Continuing Education Credits and the info that they fill the class time with, the last one they had a decent presentation on palm disease. For those of you looking for CEUs this is a good way to stack up 4 quickly.

the_bug_guy
01-16-2011, 08:41 PM

why is it a Millon a Pest Control Company only needs $400k?

Ric
01-16-2011, 09:07 PM
why is it a Millon a Pest Control Company only needs $400k?

Bug Guy

Micheal likes to read his own posts whether his information is correct or Not. The Limited License only requires 400K but Insurance companies will only write 500 K.

Patriot Services
01-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Bug Guy

Micheal likes to read his own posts whether his information is correct or Not. The Limited License only requires 400K but Insurance companies will only write 500 K.
Sorry Ric that was my bad. You only need 400k for the state requirement. The minimum I could find was 1 mil to cover what I do landscaping wise with the pest rider. For the paltry 408 dollars I wasn't going to go with any less coverage.
Posted via Mobile Device

the_bug_guy
01-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Sorry Ric that was my bad. You only need 400k for the state requirement. The minimum I could find was 1 mil to cover what I do landscaping wise with the pest rider. For the paltry 408 dollars I wasn't going to go with any less coverage.
Posted via Mobile Device

who is your insurance with? I shopped around a lot over the years having L&O and GHP and the cheapest I can get is twice what you are paying. I'd love to find it cheaper

zturncutter
01-17-2011, 07:40 AM
who is your insurance with? I shopped around a lot over the years having L&O and GHP and the cheapest I can get is twice what you are paying. I'd love to find it cheaper

I believe he has his liability with Bearwise Insurance as the agent and Travelers is the insurer.

Ric
01-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Bug Guy

I also pay twice what he is paying and have even less coverage. From the Days when I had the Big Show Worker Comp for Spray techs was a higher rate than maintenance worker but still less than Landscape installers. I am not sure what type of coverage he has for half price. But he is only Licensed to carry Back pack sprayer and not 400 gallon tanks of chemicals that require Hazmat Clean up. The insurance companies exposure is far less with the Roundup License than a real pesticide license.

Patriot Services
01-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Travelers through Bearwise in Orlando. I would think yours would cost more anyways. Your products are a lot more toxic than anything I'm allowed to use. No, I make no claim to being an applicator and I'm no fan of illegal operators.

Ric
01-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Travelers through Bearwise in Orlando. I would think yours would cost more anyways. Your products are a lot more toxic than anything I'm allowed to use. No, I make no claim to being an applicator and I'm no fan of illegal operators.

Patriot

I am paying $ 800.00 a year for 500K in coverage or the Minimum required, 400K is law but my insurance company starts at 500K. This is strictly liability coverage plus Hazmat clean up. That works out to $ 66.66 a month. What can I tell you, that is a cheap cost of doing business in the over all picture.

Add in my yearly CPO renewal at $ 300 and Business License at $ 310 and you have a grand total of $ 1410 or $ 117.50a month to be Certified, Licensed and Insured in a Certified Trade. As far as Business expenses go, I feel that price is Cheap especially when you compare it to the income I make from that License.

Patriot Services
01-17-2011, 10:28 AM
That's why I don't get some guys on this site. Minor tax deductible costs of doing business and they act like its a mafia shakedown.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I carry 1 million/2 million ag. - cost is roughly $910 a year and it is with Travelers. I know it is a little over kill but the wife is in insurance and stated this was the best value and of course would protect us the best. Kind of hard to believe I could do a million in damage with a Z turn or a shovel but I am covered just in case.

grass4gas
01-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Let that Z kick up a rock and hit someone and you'll find out just how quickly a million goes bye bye.

I also carry a mil insurance.