PDA

View Full Version : Weeping cedar of lebanon

JShe8918
01-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Has anyone ever used this in a landscape they have done? I told my current customer that i was looking for a tree that would block the view of the carport from the road, and they immediately stated that they wanted it to be intresting and different! So I automatically knew what tree i thought was interesting and different the weeping cedar of lebanon. Here's the thing. I don't know if the space is large enough for a tree of this magnitude. I have read tons of websites with information on these trees and they all have different information on them. Some say the tree reaches 15-20 foot tall and 7-9 foot wide. Then others say 50 foot tall and 15 foot wide. These sites even say they are only for zone 5 and several say from zone 6-9. The species name is cedrus libani pendula. I live in Central Alabama were the temps in the summer are always around 97-99 and sometimes even up to 105. Will this tree do alright? Also the space i have to plant this tree is 17 feet this measurement is from the house to the drive. The eve of the house is about 18 foot and the top line of the roof is probably about 30ish. What do ya'll think or do you have another tree to suggest?

Thanks,
Jonathan

AGLA
01-14-2011, 09:29 PM
I have not used a weeping cedar of lebanon, but I have used weeping blue atlas cedar (on left) and weeping norway spruce (center) quite a bit. You'll get more bang for the buck from the spruce in terms of initial size and speed of growth. In either case, you'll need to train it to get taller than the size that you purchase it at. I've had recent pest problems with the cedar, but never had any with the spruce. The cedar will thicken up just like the spruce if you let it (I keep this one spidery) (there is a light shining on the blue atlas, if you are wondering what's going on there).

I would recommend buying it big enough right away. If they don't want to pay for one big enough, move on to a different choice. You don't want to disappoint.

I would suggest that if you use a weeping conifer it should be in a composition with some undulating landform rather than sitting in a mulch circle in the middle of the lawn.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/laag/061710-017.jpg

loupiscopolandscaping
01-14-2011, 10:26 PM
love the island, but id hate to see it after a heavy snow fall and an ameuter operation the truck.lol...looks good though

JShe8918
01-15-2011, 09:37 AM
This will be in a Corner between the house and the drive. I don't want the roots to be to invasive and mess up the foundation or driveway. Those were my main concerns. I can manage how big the tree gets thru selective pruning. But you can't control the roots. I know some trees have root spans as large as the span of the tree and some are larger. So I really am confused there doesn't seem to be enough information available on the web that I have found atleast. Do cedar trees roots normally liketo surface or are they deeply rooted. It won't be alone that is for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
01-15-2011, 01:48 PM
I know some trees have root spans as large as the span of the tree and some are larger. So I really am confused there doesn't seem to be enough information available on the web that I have found atleast. Do cedar trees roots normally liketo surface or are they deeply rooted. It won't be alone that is for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Most tree roots are going to extend out well beyond the drip line (where brnaches end) out this far will be mostly the fiberous roots that responsible for uptake of nutrients and water. But eventually the roots beyond the drip zone will grow larger as the stree continue to grow and it needs stronger support undergrond to stabilize itself. One thing i know many guys will do to try to restrict the roots horizontal growth is to install watering stakes under near the drip line but still under the canopy. These stakes help increase the flow of water down in the spacific area (there are even models that can be incorporated into an irrigation sytem). the theory behind this method is that if adequate water is provided along the drip line then the roots will not go out in search of water.

I had a few weeping cedar of lebanons I planted at my old house. Along with a regular cedar of lebanon I put in the back to eventually screen out a high rise you could see (im sure the house and high rise will be long gone before she ever reaches full height). the weeping ones I had planned on growing about 15' high and 12-15' wide. But I sold the house only a few years after I planted them.

JShe8918
01-15-2011, 02:46 PM
That is the ideal size I want. But no larger. And I know they will most definitely get larger than that. What about root pruning. Would that work or is that just going to limit the canopies size on that side?
Posted via Mobile Device