PDA

View Full Version : Thrown around idea of new mower......ride is important

grass disaster
01-14-2011, 09:48 PM
ok so i have 2 everride 54" warriors. i'm solo and 2 mowers is probably over kill but i got a good deal on them so i have 2.

i leave one as my back-up/leaf machine. so it works out prett good having 2 machines.

they are about 3 years old and now the dealer no longer carries everride and only services them.

i wouldnt mind trading in 1 for a fresh new mower but with no dealer around that's kinda hard.

i'm considering selling the one with more hours on and thats in a little rougher shape and switching brands. and keeping the everride with bagger(baggers are expensive)

ride is important to me. and i like the 54" decks.... ive got a couple bigger lawns where i could use a 60" but i use it on smaller residential years too so 54" seems to be a good fit for me.

i'm kinda limeted to dealers around me that have 54" decks.

hustler and deere are 2 dealers near me. i could probably find a everride dealer to sell me a mower but that seems like a lot of driving around to me.

what do you guys think of my situation? just thrown out ideas at this time.

whats a better ride a deere or hustler

mowerbrad
01-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Hustler does offer the flex forks and a michigan suspension seat, which will provide for a pretty good ride, but I have heard mixed reviews about the flex forks.

The Deere is able to get a suspension seat kit and if your dealer is really good I bet they would install the actual Michigan suspension seat that is available on the x700 tractors.

Personally, I think the Deere has the better deck but that's based on personal preference.

Landscape Poet
01-15-2011, 01:10 AM
My opinion, if ride is one of your primary concerns, Ferris. Of the two options you have given, Hustler. Nothing against John Deere but I have yet to see how they are worth the extra money vs a Hustler. I own a Hustler and it has served me well, never owned a Deere because I never thought it was a value at the prices they demand.

grassman177
01-15-2011, 01:24 AM
hey, the everrides treat you well? remember we had 4, still own two. if you really like the everride, you can stil get one and your dealer can service them, also you can overnight parts from the factory if you have too as parts are still available.

another thought if you really like the mower enough, you can still get them under the brand of new holland tractors. same mower, blue paint. just in case you have a farm dealer near by.

otherwise, in my opinion, the only thing good about JD is the deck, it is pretty super. the reast of the machine is not my thing and our kubota is way more comfy than they are.

i would go hustler, and get the flex forks and suspension seat. andhey, they are made right here in my state. heck ariens, exmark, encore and a few others are only 2 hrs away.

RTR Landscaping
01-15-2011, 02:29 AM
Do you have a Scag dealer? The Scag Cheetah has a suspension system that won't ever compromise the cut. The entire seat and foot pan is isolated and can be adjusted for comfort.I don't know about the the other brands, but I know Scags are great mowers. They don't make a 54" deck. The Velocity deck comes in 48,52 and 61". This Cheetah also has 2 speed ranges with a transport speed of 16 MPH. Good luck with your search.

Turf Dawg
01-15-2011, 09:23 AM
A couple of years ago I had some properties that had large open areas that were more fields than lawns and wanted something with a nice ride. After demoing several brands on these areas like Deere, Scag, Kubota and Hustler [already owned Grasshoppers] the Hustler with Suspension seat and Flex Forks was the clear winner for ride and comfort. I bought a 31hp 66" Super Z with the Flex Forks and even with this heavy model I got around 500hrs out of the Flex Forks before I noticed they were getting fatigued and drooping. If I keep this mower for next year I will be buying a new set of Flex Forks because they make a big difference going around 10 mph.

If you want something with a nice ride and handling, please demo a Hustler with seat and Flex Forks.

grass disaster
01-15-2011, 09:31 AM
A couple of years ago I had some properties that had large open areas that were more fields than lawns and wanted something with a nice ride. After demoing several brands on these areas like Deere, Scag, Kubota and Hustler [already owned Grasshoppers] the Hustler with Suspension seat and Flex Forks was the clear winner for ride and comfort. I bought a 31hp 66" Super Z with the Flex Forks and even with this heavy model I got around 500hrs out of the Flex Forks before I noticed they were getting fatigued and drooping. If I keep this mower for next year I will be buying a new set of Flex Forks because they make a big difference going around 10 mph.

If you want something with a nice ride and handling, please demo a Hustler with seat and Flex Forks.

i demoed a 60" exmark a few years ago. they didnt have the fancy seat and the forks tho.

i had a zd18 at the time. 2 things i dint care for the hustler were that the front forks stuck out kinda far from the deck...u notice this?

and that the deck seemed like it would get dirty often. there was some build up from when i tested it.....cant be any worse than my current everride, seems i'm always cleaning my deck on the warrior.

no loc's use 60" decks around here.. most have a 48" i think. one may have a 52 toro. they do lots of accociations tho. ive been getting into some more larger farm residentials tho. i do have a 48" tthp exmark. but i find its slower on my residentials than my rider so i like to ride it seems.

i see ferris only has 52 and 61 so thats concerning for me.

Robert Pruitt
01-15-2011, 10:20 AM
My opinion, if ride is one of your primary concerns, Ferris. Of the two options you have given, Hustler. Nothing against John Deere but I have yet to see how they are worth the extra money vs a Hustler. I own a Hustler and it has served me well, never owned a Deere because I never thought it was a value at the prices they demand.

i can not speak on the Hustler as i have never owned one. and the Deere has a excellent ride. i had always thought the Deere would be out of my price range. paid less than i thought. out the door it was $6818. great machine.

Turf Dawg
01-15-2011, 10:34 AM
The Hustler is a long mower and I think that helps with the ride. My grasses are different than yours but for weeds the Hustler had a medium buid up. The Scag Velocity and the JD 7 Iorn had less buid up and the ones that really chop up the clippings like Grasshopper and Exmark pack up in a hurry. I know Hustler has new decks this year, I think they kind of redone the XR7 and made a larger opening to help with the buid up. If you want the best ride I do not think you can beat a Hustler with Flex Forks, but others may cut better for you. Have you thought about trying a stand on unit?

grass disaster
01-15-2011, 11:01 AM
is hustler getting rid of the zuper z and going with the super z 2011?

cuz the 2011 doesnt look like it comes in a 54"?

and no to the stand up. i want a mower that can travel at the 11mph or better. my warrior does 13 or 14 and i do crank it up prettty often WFO ya know.

so the reg z is out cuz that only goes 9mph

gasracer
01-15-2011, 11:18 AM
I have a 52" Toro with suspension seat that works really well. Have you thought about any of the standers or the Ferris Evolution?
Just so you know Everide/Great Dane has been discontinued by Gravely.

aroddy
01-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Demo a Ferris if you can. You wont look anywhere else

Turf Dawg
01-15-2011, 11:38 AM
is hustler getting rid of the zuper z and going with the super z 2011?

cuz the 2011 doesnt look like it comes in a 54"?

and no to the stand up. i want a mower that can travel at the 11mph or better. my warrior does 13 or 14 and i do crank it up prettty often WFO ya know.

so the reg z is out cuz that only goes 9mph

You would probably be interested in the new Hustler X-One. It has the new deck, available in 54" cut and does 11mph.

grass disaster
01-15-2011, 11:41 AM
I have a 52" Toro with suspension seat that works really well. Have you thought about any of the standers or the Ferris Evolution?
Just so you know Everide/Great Dane has been discontinued by Gravely.

so they are no longer making the everride is what you are saying?

gasracer
01-15-2011, 12:01 PM
so they are no longer making the everride is what you are saying?

Great Danes and Everide are both owned my Ariens/Gravely.
Read this
http://www.landscapemanagement.net/news-issues/news/ariens-changes-logo-dropping-everride-great-dane-b-10083

grass disaster
01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Great Danes and Everide are both owned my Ariens/Gravely.
Read this
http://www.landscapemanagement.net/news-issues/news/ariens-changes-logo-dropping-everride-great-dane-b-10083

well thats good to know. that throws out the idea of buying another warrior. at least the value of mine wont be affected too much as they will still be making parts for them.

grass disaster
01-15-2011, 05:55 PM
i'll have to see once it gets closer to the action. basically if id want to sell the everride i could get what 4,000 its got i think 500 hrs. and a new super z 54" would run about 9,000?

that takes me a lot of lawns to make that much $ up.

Landscape Poet
01-15-2011, 05:59 PM
i'll have to see once it gets closer to the action. basically if id want to sell the everride i could get what 4,000 its got i think 500 hrs. and a new super z 54" would run about 9,000?

that takes me a lot of lawns to make that much $ up.

However with the Hustler you would get the warranty correct and the other you would not? Just something to think about because a couple spindles later and some down time - your saving just went out the door. I can also tell you that I had great service under my Hustler when it was under warranty.

grassman177
01-15-2011, 06:10 PM
did you not read the post i had on pg 1? they still make them but dropped the brand of everride. it is still made and painted blue under new holland. also, ariens is making them under orange paint.

grass disaster
01-15-2011, 06:11 PM
However with the Hustler you would get the warranty correct and the other you would not? Just something to think about because a couple spindles later and some down time - your saving just went out the door. I can also tell you that I had great service under my Hustler when it was under warranty.

i'm saying i could sell my used mower for around $4000 and buy a new mower for around $9000 $9500.

i dont really have down time consideriing i have 2 mower. so i'm good there!

grass disaster
01-15-2011, 07:32 PM
the new xone from hustler looks interesting. its rated at 11mph. A little off of my 14 i get with the everride but its not too bad.

i just might have to call for some pricing on that one.

Gravely Commercial
01-15-2011, 08:26 PM
The EverRide Warriors are now a Gravely Pro-Rides. The Ariens Company discontinued the EverRide and Great Dane brands for 2011 but added the Warrior models (54", 60" and 66") to the Gravely brand.

Gravely Commercial
01-16-2011, 12:50 AM
No Problems, the Warrior is still available, much like you bought it but under the Gravely Brand now. Any Gravely dealer may have them in stock already or they can order one factory direct. Check it out and compare to your Warrior, same machine except Gravely Red. Great machine, with a deep deck so you can get a job done quickly and yet have a great finished cut.

grassman177
01-16-2011, 01:56 AM
it is a great mower. too bad about our dealers distrubutor being so bad.

mjschue
01-16-2011, 01:12 PM
What part of minnesota are you from. I'm in southwest, Redwood Falls to be exact.

castlerockmo
01-16-2011, 01:33 PM
If you have a husqvrana dealer around, their PZ is an awesome mower. Its has an isolated rider platform and suspension seat. 7 gauge deck, 10 inch spindels lifetime deck, spindel housing, and frame. 3 years on the rest of the machine. Its stipes and cuts great. I reall recommend demoing one if you don't have a husqvarna dealer they are also made in the Dixon and Yazoo/kees brand.
Posted via Mobile Device

grass disaster
01-16-2011, 06:11 PM
good to see theyre still making the warrior.

its been a decent mower. i just think there may be better out there.