PDA

View Full Version : Walker Blower

Turf Dawg
01-15-2011, 01:25 PM
It is time, really a little past time, to replace the blower on my Walker. Has anyone replaced a 10" with the new 10.5"? Did you notice very much difference? Do you have to do anything special for the larger one to fit?

oldclawn
01-15-2011, 02:14 PM
There's a kit used to replace the old one with the new one and worth every dime if you are going to replace and keep your Walker. More suction--better shredding, fills the box a lot fuller! If you are a good mechanic you could do it yourself but we let our dealer do it.

ed2hess
01-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Is the inlet and outlet the same size on the two fans? Or do you have to replace insert in the bin and the device running from mower up to the fan? What is the cost of the kit?

gene gls
01-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Is the inlet and outlet the same size on the two fans? Or do you have to replace insert in the bin and the device running from mower up to the fan? What is the cost of the kit?

The inlet and outlet are same size. The blower housing and impeller are bigger. Depends on the year of your Walker as to what kit parts you will need. Also, use the large hole screen in the hopper. There is a big differance with the 10.5" blower.

Turf Dawg
01-16-2011, 10:16 AM
The inlet and outlet are same size. The blower housing and impeller are bigger. Depends on the year of your Walker as to what kit parts you will need. Also, use the large hole screen in the hopper. There is a big differance with the 10.5" blower.

My Walker is a 2006 and was made about 2 months before they started using the 10.5" blower :cry:

You are right about the large hole screen. My Walker Rep recommended me getting one with the new mower and I use it until it gets hot and dry. The only negative with the large hole screen is some small trash can get blown out the back but that is not enough to offset the positive things it does.

Jason Rose
01-16-2011, 11:00 AM
I agree, go with the 10.5" blower. It's a big difference over the 10. I've heard the "conversion" isn't all that bad, at least compared to replacing the blower itself. If you have done that before you know it's not much fun!

Turf Dawg
01-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I agree, go with the 10.5" blower. It's a big difference over the 10. I've heard the "conversion" isn't all that bad, at least compared to replacing the blower itself. If you have done that before you know it's not much fun!

This would be my first time to replace one but I'm still debating on just taking it to the dealer. I had to pick up some other parts a couple of weeks ago and right now the have about 4 mechanics with not much to do so should not take them very long :laugh::laugh:. I am at almost 1100 hrs so I might just get them to do this and change the Hydro oil also and keep my hands clean for once.

Jason Rose
01-16-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm in the same boat, mine has right around 1,100 I think (been a while since I ws on it, lol) and it's time for a new blower. Mine has the 10.5 already though. Also want to look hard at the deck gearboxes, not sure if I can rebuild them or not. both are leaking, replaced the seal in one and it's still leaking.... One hydro is possibly going out or needs repair. The input shaft is getting loose and leaking some. Was making some noise last fall. General maintenance otherwise. Probably replace the other belts I haven't replaced yet, had the small belt for the hydros shell on my last fall, the others are original. Yeah need to change the hydro fluid as well.

I'm probably going to have to take it in for the hydro pump issue. not sure what the outcome will be on that...

walker-talker
01-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm in the same boat, mine has right around 1,100 I think (been a while since I ws on it, lol) and it's time for a new blower. Mine has the 10.5 already though. Also want to look hard at the deck gearboxes, not sure if I can rebuild them or not. both are leaking, replaced the seal in one and it's still leaking.... One hydro is possibly going out or needs repair. The input shaft is getting loose and leaking some. Was making some noise last fall. General maintenance otherwise. Probably replace the other belts I haven't replaced yet, had the small belt for the hydros shell on my last fall, the others are original. Yeah need to change the hydro fluid as well.

I'm probably going to have to take it in for the hydro pump issue. not sure what the outcome will be on that...How do you know which one you have? I am guessing I have the smaller one. I bought the mower new in 2000. After cleaning my mower after doing leaves, I noticed a more than normal amount of dirt underneath the seat. I noticed that the blower housing had a wear mark all the way through the steel. It was a perfect width size of around 1/4" and about 3" long. Looks like one of the fins rubbed the housing, but it's not rubbing now...weird. Anyways, I didn't know they had the 10.5" blower until now.

Anyways, I just talked to Alex yesterday and they're shop labor rate is down from 65hr to 52hr until Feb. 15th. Also, payments are deferred until April 10th.

Any idea what the 10.5" blower & housing cost? I have a bad starter (I think), so if they replace that, they will have to pull the engine and thought it would be a good time to get the new blower.

gene gls
01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
How do you know which one you have? I am guessing I have the smaller one. I bought the mower new in 2000. After cleaning my mower after doing leaves, I noticed a more than normal amount of dirt underneath the seat. I noticed that the blower housing had a wear mark all the way through the steel. It was a perfect width size of around 1/4" and about 3" long. Looks like one of the fins rubbed the housing, but it's not rubbing now...weird. Anyways, I didn't know they had the 10.5" blower until now.

Anyways, I just talked to Alex yesterday and they're shop labor rate is down from 65hr to 52hr until Feb. 15th. Also, payments are deferred until April 10th.

Any idea what the 10.5" blower & housing cost? I have a bad starter (I think), so if they replace that, they will have to pull the engine and thought it would be a good time to get the new blower.

The wear mark in the houseing is from the material that you pick up, not the fan blade rubbing on the inside of the houseing. If you run your fingers on the inside of the houseing you will feel lots of wear areas.

Jason Rose
01-18-2011, 08:45 PM
I think the blower housing is different looking. But off hand I couldn't tell you what to look for now... If yours has the original blower, which is pretty good for as old as it is! It will be the 10". I think the 10.5" started in '07 or '06.

I'm sure having the engine out would make the process a little easier...

Rumor I've heard, on here, so take that for what it's worth, is that the 10.5" blowers aren't lasting as long as the original 10". Like I said, mine has 1100 hours or a little more and the fan itself is DONE. The fins are worn through at the ends, badly. There's getting to be a small chunck of metal there that's not held on by much. My fear was hitting something and breaking the end of a fin off. That could cause some damage! I'm not sure how my housing looks though, there's no holes worn through. I know with the 10.5" you can replace just the fan or just the housing, not just the whole unit.

gene gls
01-18-2011, 08:49 PM
I think the blower housing is different looking. But off hand I couldn't tell you what to look for now... If yours has the original blower, which is pretty good for as old as it is! It will be the 10". I think the 10.5" started in '07 or '06.

I'm sure having the engine out would make the process a little easier...

Rumor I've heard, on here, so take that for what it's worth, is that the 10.5" blowers aren't lasting as long as the original 10". Like I said, mine has 1100 hours or a little more and the fan itself is DONE. The fins are worn through at the ends, badly. There's getting to be a small chunck of metal there that's not held on by much. My fear was hitting something and breaking the end of a fin off. That could cause some damage! I'm not sure how my housing looks though, there's no holes worn through. I know with the 10.5" you can replace just the fan or just the housing, not just the whole unit.

If your impeller shows that much wear, you are very lucky it didn't let go. Best and cheaper to replace the blower as a unit, houseing and impeller.

walker-talker
01-19-2011, 12:09 AM
I'll have to check it you with my fingers, but I am sure it probably needs to be replaced. I have noticed over the last few years that the suction is weaker and I have more problems with clogs. I have read a bunch of post today and yes Jason, it seems like the new blowers do not last long....around 500 hours seems the norm. I'll call Maximum tomorrow and see if the have some in stock and get a estimate.

Jason Rose
01-19-2011, 12:13 AM
If your impeller shows that much wear, you are very lucky it didn't let go. Best and cheaper to replace the blower as a unit, houseing and impeller.

That's for sure. I knew I was running it on borrowed time. Wanted to get through fall before I messed with it. Probably will replace it as a whole unit. I know they usually price the seperate parts so high that it makes more sence to buy it whole.

gene gls
01-19-2011, 10:20 AM
I'll have to check it you with my fingers, but I am sure it probably needs to be replaced. I have noticed over the last few years that the suction is weaker and I have more problems with clogs. I have read a bunch of post today and yes Jason, it seems like the new blowers do not last long....around 500 hours seems the norm. I'll call Maximum tomorrow and see if the have some in stock and get a estimate.

Each blower unit is offered as case hardened unit versas the mild steel unit. Seems like I remember there being a $100.00-150.00 differance.

Turf Dawg
01-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Just heard back from the dealer. The 10" blower would be 319.20. The 10.5" with kit would be 469.54. Although my mower came with the 10" blower according to my serial number it is already supposed to have the updated jackshaft for the 10.5". I think they started putting in the new jackshafts and waited till they ran out of the 10" blowers to change to the 10.5".
I think I will go with the larger blower but am trying to decide to pay the dealer the $325 to change it or try it myself.

Jason Rose
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
$325 just for the labor to swap out the blower??? My god man! It's not THAT hard! It takes a few hours and no special tools really, just some common sence.

Turf Dawg
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
$325 just for the labor to swap out the blower??? My god man! It's not THAT hard! It takes a few hours and no special tools really, just some common sence.

Yea, I think I will do it myself. I think they were basing it on 4hrs as a estimate.

walker-talker
01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
I just got off the phone with my local dealer. 10" blower, complete is $319 and quoted me 2 hrs labor at $52 an hour. (on special, normally $65 an hour)

Didn't get an exact figure on the 10.5" blower, but the blower and labor to install it, including the kit is $500-$600 MORE!!!

So If I am spending $425 for the 10", I am spending close to $1000 for the 10.5"..WOW!!!

Alex, the shop mechanic said there was a big difference in the suction power, but damn...looks like they charge for it.

Turf Dawg
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Maybe the 325 was to put in the 10.5"

They also told me if mine would not have already had the updated jackshaft then that would raise it a couple hundred more.

It sounds like you do not have the updated jackshaft.

Jason Rose
01-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Yikes! That's crazy. Glad my machine has the 10.5" already, though it's gonna cost me more to buy one. I thought they did away with the case hardened option some years ago, or that they all were case hardened now and the "standard" blower was NLA. I don't recall which.

2 hours labor sounds a lot more on-par with what it should be. I think I could do one in 2 to 3 hours. The mechanic that quoted 4 hours and $325 in labor is crazy!

I can tell a difference with the 10.5" blower. I don't ever have a problem with clogging in the chute, unless a little stick or something gets wedged in there, then it will clog. I always have an issue with it clogging right where the grass exits the deck, usually on one side more than the other. The 48" isn't as bad as the 36", the 36 does it all the time. The big blower I think actually keeps the screen in the box cleaner, but where it does build up you have to be diligent about keeping it scraped off to let the air out or else the blower will pop the door open! I also have been using the large hole screen in the spring and summer. Not so much for less clogging but because it actually lets quite a bit of the clippings blow out the back and into the lawn. Less for me to have to DUMP! Makes a mess on drives and sidewalks though... More to blow off.

walker-talker
01-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Maybe the 325 was to put in the 10.5"

They also told me if mine would not have already had the updated jackshaft then that would raise it a couple hundred more.

It sounds like you do not have the updated jackshaft.They quoted me 4hrs labor on the 10.5" and then there was a kit to purchase that goes with the 10.5 blower...that was more money.

I think I'll just stick to the 10" blower.

walker-talker
01-19-2011, 04:15 PM
I remember having problems with the the back door popping open just a tad and spitting grass out. I thought it was a shock problem, so I bought a new one. Before using it, cleaned that screen and that did the trick. I thought about going to the bigger screen, but on most all lawns that I collect, I only edge every other week. When I do this, I only have to blow every other week...saves a bunch of time and have only had 1 complaint (a new customer last year) in the last 6 years or so when I started doing this. So after reading your thread Jason, I think I stick to the small screen for now. I just need to get one of those stiff wire brushes and keep it in the truck.

You make it sound pretty easy to exchange those blowers out. I think I will try and do it myself. I don't know much about engines, but I am fairly mechanically inclined. I don't suppose the theres much difference changing out the 10" for another 10" vs. 10.5" for 10.5"...you think?