PDA

View Full Version : DIY operator controled discharge chute

Barrett Landscaping
01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
who on here has made their own ocdc? looking to make one for my 48 scag walkbehind and 48 tiger cub. seems simple enough rather than spend $200 each :hammerhead::dizzy::dizzy:. Lets see some so i can get the creative juices flowing :weightlifter:

Mountain Peak
01-15-2011, 04:36 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I searched and there are a few threads on it. I was thinking of putting one on my 60 inch hustler and was balking at the 200+ price tag.

Agape
01-15-2011, 06:52 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I searched and there are a few threads on it. I was thinking of putting one on my 60 inch hustler and was balking at the 200+ price tag.

shouldnt be too herd, just a rectangular piece of hinged metal and a bar with a swivel

scagman52
01-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Cost me $10.00

Barrett Landscaping
01-16-2011, 12:50 PM
scagman looks great! can you post a pic of the upper half as well? thanks

scagman52
01-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Here ya go!

Barrett Landscaping
01-16-2011, 02:14 PM
so do you pull the lever towards you or push towards the front of the deck?

StanWilhite
01-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Cost me $10.00

Looks good, and definitely the right price!

My situation is a little different, and I would appreciate any ideas any of you have.

Since I use a Swisher 60" pull behind mower offset to the left of my ztr, I have to trim with the right side of the ztr deck. I know the first thing most everybody will think is , "just offset the Swisher to the right side so you can trim with the left side of the deck". The problem with that is, your ztr discharge will be going out in front of the Swisher to add to the grass it's cutting. In thin grass this is ok, but not in tall or thick grass. So...I'm trying to come up with a simple way to use an ocdc that will stand at least vertical (when not in use) to allow for trimming with the right side of the ztr deck. You could obviously make one that would come past vertical and lay over toward the deck then just put a strap over it when in use, but I want to make something that looks more professional, and can be raised or lowered while mowing without getting off of the mower. I'm just trying to determine how to configure an operators "handle" that can be used from the seat, but will allow the chute to be raised to (at least) vertical when not in use, and hold the door closed when in use. Any ideas?
Thanks, Stan

dwost
01-16-2011, 07:28 PM
I built one several years back when I had my Gravely WB. Worked great for many years. Here's the old post http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=105885&highlight=ocdc

scagman52
01-17-2011, 07:59 AM
I just push the handle to the right to close it. The hook is just to hold it in the open position. There are no springs. I used lock nuts and tightened them just enough to keep pressure so it doesn't flop around. Keep in mind that it is open 95% of the time.

Barrett Landscaping
01-17-2011, 09:31 AM
ok thats what i was assuming...looks like a dreat simple design for a ztr. going to make something similar soon. i also am going to make one for my wb with the socket swivel. that seems like it will be easy but harder that making one for a ztr

andyslawncare
01-17-2011, 09:59 AM
I bought a 2007 exmark with seat upgrade, side discharge, and light kit for $4000 under value... It had under 100 hours and the upgrades alone are over $1,000.

I really like the discharge I have on this machine. I kick my foot and its closed, I kick my foot and its open. I don't have to worry about engendering my own; If I did create my own, I would patten it and sell it.... buddy may have found a new way of life if he reads this.