PDA

View Full Version : Help with Truck Choice

joed
01-15-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm looking at getting a truck. Much of it will be for personal use but I do cut lawns on weekends over the spring/summer/fall. I've got two trucks I'm looking at:
2010 Ford F150 4X4
New truck, leftover 2010 model
4.6L V8
6 speed auto.
6.5 foot box
XLT trim level
Ext. Cab.
Cost: $30K with tax

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4
Used, 20, 000 km
SLE trim level
Crew Cab
5 ft 8 box
5.3L engine
6 speed auto.
Tonneau Cover, side steps
Cost: $28K with tax

The Ford seemed like a nice truck but I felt the truck is too high. The Sierra is very nice and in mint shape but it's still a year older with less warranty. My number one priority is fuel economy. I'm not sure if the 4.6, 6 speed combo or the 5.3/6 speed combo gives better fuel economy.

Anyhow, if anyone has any experience with either truck and can give me some feedback, I'd appreciate it. Thank you, in advance, for your help.

JB1
01-15-2011, 08:08 PM
buy a Ford, my stock depends it.

mowerbrad
01-15-2011, 08:58 PM
If you are going to use this as mostly a personal vehicle, the crew cab on the GMC will be a lot nicer. Extended cabs aren't bad at all, but if you plan on having riders with you often, the crew cab makes it so much nicer.

I think you'll see pretty much the same fuel economy with each truck, not going to be a huge difference if any. I've looked at both fords and GM's and I like GM's better. The GMC your looking sounds like its a very nice one and I'd choose that one.

meets1
01-15-2011, 09:14 PM
I gotta say go GMC.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
01-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Doge or Chevy/Gmc stay away from ford.

juststartin
01-15-2011, 09:58 PM
So you are basically going to cut grass on the weekends to afford the truck payment?

T-Made
01-15-2011, 10:10 PM
The 5.3 is good on gas and has plenty of power. My brother has an 04 GMC and has 160,000 miles on it with no problems. He doesn't maintain is vehicles like he should and drives them pretty hard. My friend has an 06 F150 and regrets getting the small V8 lacks power.

joed
01-15-2011, 10:29 PM
So you are basically going to cut grass on the weekends to afford the truck payment?

No, I'll be paying cash for this. I've been cutting grass and doing landscaping, part-time for the last 12 years. The lawncare business has been pretty good to me. Along with my day job, I'm lucky enough and blessed enough to afford the truck. My current truck, a 2000 Sierra, will be going to my dad, whose own 1989 GMC is on its last legs. He's retired and with a fixed income, can't really afford a new or slightly used truck. That's why I'm looking at a new or slightly used truck. Prices, here in Canada, where I live, are a lot more expensive than in the U.S. I've never owned a Ford, the price is attractive, so I wanted to see what the experience of other posters on the forum has been.

bcg717
01-15-2011, 10:38 PM
No, I'll be paying cash for this. I've been cutting grass and doing landscaping, part-time for the last 12 years. The lawncare business has been pretty good to me. Along with my day job, I'm lucky enough and blessed enough to afford the truck. My current truck, a 2000 Sierra, will be going to my dad, whose own 1989 GMC is on its last legs. He's retired and with a fixed income, can't really afford a new or slightly used truck. That's why I'm looking at a new or slightly used truck. Prices, here in Canada, where I live, are a lot more expensive than in the U.S. I've never owned a Ford, the price is attractive, so I wanted to see what the experience of other posters on the forum has been.

Sounds like you and your dad have had 2 GM's that have treated you good. Why switch brands when you have something already proven to you.

Just my 2 cents